PDA

View Full Version : Skeepwerkzaz

Squirtcha?
09-29-2003, 07:58 AM
I gotta say, I'm totally impressed with the work you did on your boat. I remembered a while back when you posted up some before n after pics and went back into the image center to look at em. I also remember being impressed at the time but looking at em again just reaffirmed it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/485boat_B4-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/4851st_1-med.bmp
Nice work man!

Hotcrusader76
09-29-2003, 08:25 AM
http://www.tpcracing.com/images/Clayton_motor.jpg

ole war horse
09-29-2003, 08:33 AM
My hat's off to ya because I know how much it takes to put together a sweet boat like yours. It's looks dam sweet.

Slick
09-29-2003, 08:40 AM
I've never seen the "before" pictures. Wow, what a difference. It sure does look sweet in person.

Squirtcha?
09-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Hotcrusader76:
http://www.tpcracing.com/images/Clayton_motor.jpg Yes very nice work on the carbs inparticular. Using the same color as the accent stripe, valve covers, etc. was an excellent choice.

Hotcrusader76
09-29-2003, 02:07 PM
You can ask Clay himself, but it was like pulling teeth to get those carbs done up in Orange. I think he originaly wanted black or Holley gold, but after a few "Wes-ssons"...Clay was convinced matching the orange best suited the theme.
Awesome boat Clay. Can't wait to get a ride in it!

HotRod Sprint
09-29-2003, 07:30 PM
I shoulda come out just to look and drool. Clay did you paint or gel? Whatever it is, defin-ately one sweeeeeeeeeeeet lookin ride. Give's me somethin to shoot for.
Rod

Jordy
09-29-2003, 08:28 PM
Funny, with all that carb work, Clay didn't follow us up above the no wake zone because he said it doesn't like to idle... hmmm. :confused: :rolleyes: :)

Froggystyle
09-29-2003, 09:00 PM
Well done Skeep!!! I am extremely proud of the job he has done on that boat. Pics cannot describe accurately the basket case that ol' Nordic was 5 years ago. This has been a marathon build, on small bucks and an absolute exercise in patience. It has turned out beautifully, and runs very well from what I heard.
Congrats again bro. You did a great job.

Squirtcha?
09-29-2003, 10:25 PM
jordanpaulk:
Funny, with all that carb work, Clay didn't follow us up above the no wake zone because he said it doesn't like to idle... hmmm. :confused: :rolleyes: :) I'm sorta in the same boat (pun intended), actually mine runs pretty well and although it will idle, the cam is pretty lumpy and I try not to make it idle for long periods of time as it has a tendancy to load up. I'm probably jetted a little fat too, which doesn't help matters any.
[ September 29, 2003, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

skeepwerkzaz
09-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Aww shucks guys,
I really appreciate the compliments. As all of you know it is alot of hard work, but well worth it. I would like to thank....(going into my oscar speech)...Froggy, for always giving me something to want to go faster than......Ty, for convincing me to paint my carbs orange (and for helping me fine tune wink sometime!! )......and to all the rest of you that gave me something to strive for...this award is for you........
But seriously, I couldn't be more proud. There are a few thing that I would like to be different, but such is life. I will run it like this for a while. I do have a few problems that are plagueing the old girl, such as a bastard of an oil leak and an idleing problem. I am fairly convinced though that the poor idle is a combination of racing carbs, (660's) a tunnel ram, a .605 lift cam with 260 ish duration @ .050, and 37 degrees of duration locked out. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this. I would love it to idle below 1000 rpm. Squirtcha? is right that it just loads up when I idle for extended periods, remember that it has 8 idle screws!!!! I still haven't stood on this thing the whole way, as I want everything to be just right. Should be a hell of a ride.
When are we going next??????Op-6 or this weekend??
See you all soon,
Clay
[ September 30, 2003, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: skeepwerkzaz ]

skeepwerkzaz
09-29-2003, 11:33 PM
I just had to take a picture of this for you guys..... :D :D :D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/485bowlight-med.jpg

Hotcrusader76
09-30-2003, 07:49 AM
Well Skeep ya got my number. Give me a call and we can go over the tune with ya.
Possibly your floats or fuel pressure is to high, or too much transition slot (idle speed screw), which in turn eliminated adjustment to your mixture screws because the motor is sucking fuel from the transition slot and not your curb idle. This is very common mistake alot people make when adjusting their carbs.
Once you set the primary butterflies to expose "X" amount of transition slot, which is always performed before shipment by myself, then all you should have to adjust is your secondary for the proper amount of air (which your 660s don't have 1:1 linkage, that's why you need to call me), or your mixture screw(s). After that has been checked I would look into your timing or ignition system.
Wasn't his an issue before we started the carb work as well? I thought I heard someone say you were working on an adjustable gear-drive system or timing chain of the likes so you could advance the timing, which left alot of suspicion in the air on whether it was needed or not...No? If that's the case then don't touch the fuel, get that timing orientation knocked out first.
Give me a call Clay.
~Ty

TIMINATOR
09-30-2003, 07:57 AM
I run278deg @ .050 and mine will idle all day with no loading problems,I set up a LOT of carbs! Call and I can help. TIMINATOR

skeepwerkzaz
09-30-2003, 09:03 AM
OK Y'all,
It doesn't load up THAT bad, just enough for me not to want to idle around for a few miles. I have the idle mixture screws all turned in the whole way, and backed out 7/8 of a turn. Funny thing happened on Sat though. I inadvertantly switched the tanks to the "off" positions, and as it was running out of gas (at idle) the rpm jumped up damn near 1k. This to me sounds like it is way too rich, but my nose and eyes don't see or smell the evidence. Ahh the joys of dual carbsmanship!!!! Looks cool though, and when you drop the loud pedal, this this jumps right to attention. I do firmly believe though that (from what I hear) 660's in particular are a WFO (wide fuc*&%$ open) carb. Idleing and drivability wasn't something that they waisted too much time worrying about during the design. Anyway.....I have work to do, thanks for the info..
Clay

Blown 472
09-30-2003, 11:57 AM
or your mixture screw(s).
~Ty [/QB]Could you show me where those are?? cuz last I heard you cant adjust the idle mixture, you can only adjust the amount of emlusified air and fuel that gets discharged at idle with the two or four screws on the metering blocks. :confused: :confused: