PDA

View Full Version : Panther Jet Winter/Project

NeoBurn
02-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Thought I needed a new thread since I was so nieve on the old one :) .
Well after an all night ordeal. I finally got my pump out. I tell you it took me 6 hours on my 2 ton floor jack to break the seal free to get the jet out.
I recommend to anyone else that try's this be patient.
Here's the pics.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/DSCF0028.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/DSCF0030.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/DSCF0031.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/DSCF0029.JPG
[ February 07, 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

Hotcrusader76
02-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Oh my god Jeff! eek!
What a beast! You got it out? Right on. I guess I'll restore my cold beer I was going to bring over to help :D
Hey BTW check your PM.
~Ty

NeoBurn
02-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Ok the pics are up.
After research and a long phone conversation with Greg at G&S Marine I decided that the Panther to Berk conversion is not economically feasible.
Panther Jet's have very limited options concerning performance upgrades.
Performance Rebuilds:
Aluminum / bronze or Stainless Steel wear ring.
Q#1. Stainless Steel impeller, which metal would make the best wear rings?
Trim Controls: I am not even going to open up for dicussion there's enough of that floating around. Although I wish Bow-Tie-Omega would hurry up. :) .
I'll be posting more pics for the install.
Finally found this link. I accidently ran into it one day when I was looking online for information about Panther Jets when I first bought my boat.
http://www.cinemashares.com/video.html
[ February 07, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

NeoBurn
02-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Ty,
Don't put that beer away too fast I need the engine out next.
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/beerchug.gif

Bow Tie Omega
02-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Oh that site looks all to familiar. Neoburn, take a look at the front of that grate, not the back. We are making improvements to that too. Neoburn, do not let the Panther Bashers discourage you. My stock Panther with stock Big Block could meet or beat any other stock configured Jet/Big Block 21 ft or smaller. Unless you plan on all out racing, the Panther will keep up with anything (60-80 mph). And it is alot more durable then the others. You will see posts right and left of people not touching their Panthers for 20 years. I am just as excited about the Intake grate as I am about the diverter. Anyone who owns a Panther and has access to machinery should start toying around with improvements to the jet. Last night I was thinking about making inserts into the nozzle to help fine tune thrust. Think boys think, it is obvious that after 20 plus years of nothing that Panther owners are the only ones who are interested wanting aftermarket parts, it is also obvious that Panther is satisfied with the way things are. All designs can be improved upon. Panther has near 1 thousand distributors nation wide. Fair to say that if each distributorship sales one Panther Pump, that makes 1000 Panther customers. There is a demand for parts, we just need designers/suppliers of products. Have fun with the motor. I must have diarhea of the mouth today...Later...Joe

Hotcrusader76
02-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Joe,
Aftermarket Panther Products just might be in the works. I have noticed just the same. Jeff and I are pulling his motor soon and we are talking about some ideas of the such.
But you are right! The market lacks the determination and passion for the Panther, Olds, and Rochester guys! Hmmmm.....just wait and see.
BTW: There will be a full write-up on a custom Q-Jet we are currently finishing for a fella and his 67 Chevy pick-up. Have to make everyone happy now, not just Holley.
~Ty

Bow Tie Omega
02-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Hotcrusader, I am really hoping that our new diverter and intake grate work out bitchen. I really think that there is a market for Panther parts. We have put alot of time into the design of the diverter, have even thrown a couple of designs away. I also look forward to testing the intake grate. I really think that will add some performance to the pump as well. Good luck with your ventures

Hotcrusader76
02-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Bow Tie Omega:
Hotcrusader, I am really hoping that our new diverter and intake grate work out bitchen. I really think that there is a market for Panther parts. We have put alot of time into the design of the diverter, have even thrown a couple of designs away. I also look forward to testing the intake grate. I really think that will add some performance to the pump as well. Good luck with your ventures I have some ideas I want to run by Froggy with Trident Custom boats as well. He is an incredible source of info for R&D type work and I believe he would completely support Jeff and I on the dynamics of the designs for such a jet. He is the resident expert for such mods and can definitely "yeah or ney" the idea before it becomes costly.
BTW: I do not run a Panther, but I enjoy all forms of jets; Berkley, Hamilton, KaMeWa, Dominator, Panther, Jacuzzi, etc.
~Ty
[ February 07, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

NeoBurn
02-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Well I choose to take it apart pictures will be coming shortly. I also started taking apart the back bearings they came out clean and don't look to bad. However, the shaft has about a 1/8 of and inch play in all directions that seemed to cause the impeller to shift and grind the bowl.
[ February 08, 2003, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

jim@pj
02-07-2003, 09:25 PM
I have built a lot of panther jets and I know that they are good jet drives. It might please you to know that you can get these pumps blue printed for an additional 12% flow. Trim nozzles are also here. I have some kick ass panther jets at the lakes here in Northern Calif. Its just not a problem. If you are interested drop me a line. www.performancejet.com (http://www.performancejet.com) JIM

Cas
02-07-2003, 10:42 PM
I have a 21' Tahiti with a Panther and just bought a 19' Tahiti with a Panther along with an extra pump sitting in my garage. I think Panthers are a really good pump and I think the hole shot from a Panther is better than the others and I've had a Berk JC and a JG to compare with.
I too have been toying around with different diverter ideas and nozzle sizes. That's why I picked up the extra pump so I wouldn't mess up the good one on my boat :D Not sure about the grate though unless it's closing it down a bit, Panthers are almost never starved for water.

Cas
02-08-2003, 12:39 AM
I was just thinking......maybe I ought to create a Panther division of Laid Back Boaters :D
Jim,
One of these days I'd like to get over to Sebastapol to meet you. I've spoken to you a couple of times on the phone in the past but haven't had time to get over there. I understand you're doing a pump for the Lechters, can't wait to hear what they have to say. I've already heard quite a few good things from other people you've done work for.

Bow Tie Omega
02-08-2003, 03:24 AM
While I agree with you that Panthers stay better loaded during normal operation then others, at higher speeds (+70), loading becomes an issue with Panthers. What we are working on is keeping the low and midrange speed properties of the grate while enhancing the top end properties, In my opinion, if we gain 2-3 mph, it will be a success, as long as we do not hurt the bottom/midrange performance of the pump.

NeoBurn
02-08-2003, 05:51 AM
jim@pj:
I have built a lot of panther jets and I know that they are good jet drives. It might please you to know that you can get these pumps blue printed for an additional 12% flow. Trim nozzles are also here. I have some kick ass panther jets at the lakes here in Northern Calif. Its just not a problem. If you are interested drop me a line. www.performancejet.com (http://www.performancejet.com) JIM Jim, What Trim nozzle are you refering to the jetovator panther offers or the place diverter that ADM offers? Or do you have your own design for a trim nozzle? I checked out your sight, and your prices seem very reasonable. I'll shoot you an e-mail today.
-Jeff-
And by the way I would like to extend a warm welcome to JIM@PJ from all of us here on ***boat!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/party/ylsuper.gif
[ February 08, 2003, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

NeoBurn
02-08-2003, 06:21 AM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/BBBOATTT_024.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/BBBOATTT_028.JPG http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/BBBOATTT_027.JPG
Heres The first three.

NeoBurn
02-08-2003, 06:25 AM
This is as far as I got before school.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/BBBOATTT_029.JPG http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/BBBOATTT_031.JPG http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/BBBOATTT_023.JPG
This is a shot of my impeller. I'm fairly positive I'm not suppose to see that much of a gap.
-Jeff-

Cas
02-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the pics Neo and yes, your clearance does look a little big. If my mind is working correctly, I think that clearance needs to be about .015.
If you don't have one already, get yourself the tech manual from Panther. Their phone number is 541-836-7641.
Another option for a wear ring is a guy in Reno that's using a Teflon type material that seems to be working really well on the Panthers. Apparently he's machining out the housing to accept the oversized teflon ring, puts the impeller in by literally screwing it into the teflon. After putting it all back together, he backs the boat into water, starts the engine and lets the impeller "cut" it's own clearance.
Bow Tie,
Where's Murrieta CA? I keep thinking about Rancho Murrieta near Sac but I don't think that's where you are.
You're right about the Panthers at the top end. I believe what's happening is there's too much water going into the pump at the higher speeds and causing it to over load thus slowing it down. Make sense?
Along with the grate, attention will need to be given to the bottom of the boat to alter the inlet section that's built in.
I don't know if you've checked into it already but from what I understand, Panther already has a "race grate" along with a different impeller size, their version of a diverter and a different sized nozzle.
[ February 08, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Cas ]

Bow Tie Omega
02-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Cas, I hear that the Panther High Performance grate looses bottom and mid range performance. Their prices are also ridiculous. $450 for just a stator housing, $800 for a three inch piece of square tubing inside of the nozzle, shove a pin in it and call it a diverter. I want an economical alternative for panther users, including myself that does not cost performance as both of the above do.Panther has the monopoly on the pump and right now can name any price they want on bolt on goodies, goodies according to my research are sub par vs. the competetors (Berk, AT, Dominator, etc)after market parts. Nothing annoys me more then a Berk jockey saying "oh, you have a Panther, you cant even get a diverter for that". What is the point of having a jet if you cant throw the occasional rooster. And with the axial flow design and larger volume of the pump, I bet the tail will be larger then the Berks also. This is a fun project for my dad and I. If they work, great, if not hey it was fun trying. As far as changing hull characteristics for the new grate, I understand what you are saying, but I want this to be a bolt on improvement, so I really do not want to start reshaping the bottom and all that goes into it.
[ February 08, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Bow Tie Omega ]

Cas
02-08-2003, 12:33 PM
That's pretty much what I was looking at doing to, something that will bolt on. The problem I have is I don't have access to cast my ideas. One of my ideas incorporates a flange to reduce the cavity in the bottom of the boat which would also increase the speed of the water flowing into the intake. I'm not exactly sure what that would do but it seems to me that it should allow the pump to move the water faster?
You're right about the rooster too, it would be rather large!

NeoBurn
02-08-2003, 12:41 PM
I don't think that Panther is really over charging for their rebuild parts. The Impeller Housing is $750. Compared to Berks JG pumps $695.
I feel your frustration though Bow-Tie. I am living them too. After market parts are non existent for our jets.
The only thing I can venture to say is the Panther Jet design hasn't changed since what 1976?? I believe... Maybe they got it right the first time?
With my pump as messed up as it was I still felt like I was hauling ass down the river last Memorial Day Weekend. I learned not to drive without eye protection. :cool:
Being that my hull is a 21' Sleek, I don't foresee myself going over 70 mph anyways.
I did however come completely out of the water twice in a row on one occasion. MSD Soft Touch Rev limiter control is going in the boat now.
I'm tearing apart my jet to find out whether the impeller housing needs to be replaced or I bent my shaft. I know I have a broken water seal.
I couldn't get the boat to plane out until 4500 to 5000 RPM. (460 Ford). By that time I was screaming down the river standing up looking over the bow.
jawdrop I am currently trying to get the impeller off it's stuck on like my ass is to this chair. Does anyone know where I can get an impeller puller tool?
This season looks like I'm going with the Bennet Stainless Steel Trim Tabs for trim.
[ February 08, 2003, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

NeoBurn
02-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Cas:
That's pretty much what I was looking at doing to, something that will bolt on. The problem I have is I don't have access to cast my ideas. One of my ideas incorporates a flange to reduce the cavity in the bottom of the boat which would also increase the speed of the water flowing into the intake. I'm not exactly sure what that would do but it seems to me that it should allow the pump to move the water faster?
You're right about the rooster too, it would be rather large! I have talked to Panther about this issue and from my experience and their knowledge they stated that Panthers are rarely starving for water. One of the limitations I believe that was pointed out before is that maybe too much water is coming in the jet. Can there be a link between flooding the impeller and starving the impeller. I would imagine there is some design balance there. The only solution off the top of my head would be a adjustable intake to control exactly how much water is fed to the jet based on impeller RPM's.
Another statement that was made by Panther Sales Reps was that the top end HP for the Panther Jet was between 400 - 450 HP. I think there are design aspects that were took into consideration here. I was advised against modifying the intake grate and hull design. By the way my Avatar is the wake from my Panther jet.
Also does anyone else see that the Panther jet looks like a tank when it's laid up against a Berk? :p
[ February 08, 2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

disco_charger
02-08-2003, 01:02 PM
It's funny, cause when I sit down and think about why I don't like Panther, a lot of it has to do with a lack of upgrade parts. For a little cruiser with a mild motor, they're great. I just have delusions of granduer about how I need to have a pump that has the ability to have 1000hp. It's also nice to have a pump where there are a plethora (college word, probably misspelled) of new and used parts. Those are really my only gripes about Panther.

Cas
02-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Bow Tie,
About 8 months ago, I was going through the hoops with Panther to become a certified mechanic/rebuilder here in my area. I spent quite a few hours on the phone with Steve there finding out much about the Panther drives. A stock Panther unit will handle up to 1000 hp with very few modifications. The drive warranty extends to 450 hp, anything over that and it won't be covered under theit warranty. Since most of our units are no longer under warranty, it's a mute point.
The only argument in regards to that is whether or not the SS shaft can withstand the torque a motor of that size puts out. The diameter of the shaft can also be a problem when the pump re-enters the water spinning at a high rpm after catching some air,like what Neo said happened to him.
As far as the grate goes, it's pretty much there to prevent any rocks larger than the opening to get through. The actual inlet, which is molded into the bottom of the boat, is what determines the amount of water that enters the pump. Panther has different shaped inlets for different applications. The stock inlet is shaped the way it is to provide the best performance from 0 up to about 75mph.
The above info was either given to me by Steve and/or is directly from the maintainance manual. I hope it can help you in your endeavors.
Neo,
There is a point when the venturi effect of the stock inlet will become a detriment for higher speeds. At higher speeds, the inlet will need to be smaller much like the other pumps. The difference between the other pumps and a Panther is that you can alter the size by changing the grates on the others. Did that make sense?

NeoBurn
02-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Makes sense CAS thanks for the insight.

Bow Tie Omega
02-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Cas, thanks for the valuable info. While my design for the diverter is done and in the build up phase, the grate is still on paper, or computer that is. I am looking to build an adjustable grate. Rather then buying an entire grate for the occasion, have a one grate fits all. If you have noticed on the stock grate, the shape of the teeth in front actually are designed (I believe by purpose) to deflect water, on top of obvious functions (gravel, foreign objects, etc) Rather then having sharp edges, they go out of their way to dull the edges on the front of the teeth, probably to control overstuffing the pump = drag. What I am looking to do is make a rebuildable grate, a grate that you can add/remove teeth and be able to turn each tooth inboard and outboard on a veritical axis to accelerate/restrict waterflow. The difficult part in my opinion will be the actual testing of the grate in different configurations, finding out what works out best. Once that is done, sell the product at a reasonable price with basic configurations for different set-ups published with the grate . This will give the customer a functional all performance grate with the ability to try things on their own as well. Like I said though, the hard part is testing. Oh, by the way, Murrieta is next to Temecula (Riverside/San Diego County border).
[ February 08, 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Bow Tie Omega ]

Omega21
02-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Apparently he's machining out the housing to accept the oversized teflon ring, puts the impeller in by literally screwing it into the teflon. After putting it all back together, he backs the boat into water, starts the engine and lets the impeller "cut" it's own clearance.
The 'teflon' ring...is it white? If it is, I bet I know what that stuff is. Used a bunch on my router table & it's slicker than snot.
Todd

NeoBurn
02-08-2003, 08:23 PM
On a heavier note:
Hey Somethings Missing?
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/BBBOATTT_0331.JPG

NeoBurn
02-08-2003, 08:23 PM
DOH BART!
THERE IT IS!
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/BBBOATTT_036.JPG

wfodude
02-09-2003, 07:22 AM
I know it sounds half assed but I had a panther in my first jet...it too was worn out. I took acid and cleaned the housing then got some good old JB weld and smeared it on.As it was setting up I put the impeller in and gave it a twist and let it clearance itself.after it was cured I gave it some finish work with a flap wheel and poof instant tight pump.I took it apart the next winter and to my amazement probably 95 percent of it was still in place. So I touched it up and got ready for the next season...total cost...3.95 for jb weld and some time...plus or minus a few beers

Cas
02-09-2003, 08:56 AM
wfo,
Not 1/2 assed, that's R&D on a smaller scale. I did the same thing last year only I used a commercial product that's a little tougher than the JB. It's also what Panther does with housings that are in need of minor repairs and or fillings.
If the your boat was/is used in sandy conditions, the housing will get some pitting where the front edge of the impeller would meet the housing. The only ways to correct that would be to replace the housing (expensive), have it machined out and install a wear ring, (semi expensive) or fill the pits with a very strong filler (inexpensive).
Filling the pits worked for me, I don't know how much but I know it made me feel better knowing the pump was a little tighter :D
Todd,
I haven't seen the product to know what it is but I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I've used that stuff you're speaking of to repair window glides. My only concern about it is if a person is running in sandy conditions or they beach their boat often and suck up gravel. How durable would it be? I guess there would be a certain amount of sand or whatever that would get imbedded into the material.

Cas
02-09-2003, 09:02 AM
I wonder if anyone has tried setting back a Panther? and what their results were?
It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do with a hull that never had one.

v-drive
02-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Hey Cas, it is Joe (Bow Tie Omega). Im at my Dads, that is the reason for the other post name. Anyhow, why has'nt anyone tried to set a panther back. They do with the others. If it is a structural integrity issue with the transom, that could be easily resolved. And setting the pump/engine back would mean 10 more inches of knee space for the rear bench.....Tha would be cool...Joe

Cas
02-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Joe,
I haven't heard of anyone doing a set back with a Panther but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done. If the insert isn't used, the pump could bolt right to the transom. You'd lose the use of the cover but so what, I've never used the cover with my boat.
Setting back a Panther on a hull that has already had one installed would mean redoing the transom and the bottom. If someone isn't able to do the work themselves, it could get very costly.
I just brought my "new to me" boat home this afternoon. After I pull the engine and interior I'll be flipping it over to take the hook out and will be able to better determine what would be involved. I'm also very interested to see if there is any difference in the intake on this 19' boat as opposed to my 21'
I would also like to see the difference between the stock intake as opposed to Panther's "race" intake. I wonder if they would send me pictures? I doubt but it won't hurt to ask.

Bow Tie Omega
02-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Cas, I was talking with my dad about it. He thinks they used the molded insert for a couple of reasons. First, the motor would be set to far back which could effect the overall balance of the boat, and second is strength. Other jets, while the bowl bolts thru the transom, there is alot of the jet body left inside the boat that is molded into the bottom of the boat. Why could'nt someone build a support that butts up to the transom and the pump bolts thru the transom and into it. have a part of it that also is molded into bottom of the boat as well. Kind of like a large angle bracket. Sorry about al of the posts, I could talk about Panthers all day long.

GBLASER
02-10-2003, 04:12 PM
I just do not know why the panther never stayed around in So Cal. Last year hot boat ran an article that showed the Panther as the most reliable pump out there. I had one for 22 years before replacing it with a rebuilt one. I have sold the boat but it still runs today. Call Panther in Drain, Oregon and a complete rebuild is pretty reasonable. We'll see how the new Legend pump holds up. GB out.

NeoBurn
02-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Just out of curiosity anyone have a freshly rebuilt Panther Jet, or how much they are new? I'm going to give Panther a call I don't even know if they sell them new or not. I have a friend that picked up a freshly rebuilt Berk JG from ADM for $1200.00.

AZKC
02-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Nice thread guys :) Interesting on the amount of info that is in here. I'm about a week away from sending mine out to Panther, now I'm going to rethink it. Maybe try some stuff myself or maybe let Jim do it :confused:
KC

ssmike
02-11-2003, 03:31 PM
AZKC:
Nice thread guys :) Interesting on the amount of info that is in here. I'm about a week away from sending mine out to Panther, now I'm going to rethink it. Maybe try some stuff myself or maybe let Jim do it :confused:
KC KC
I just sent you a PM.
ssmike

NeoBurn
02-11-2003, 04:03 PM
For those interested $1800 rebuilt, $2400 stock new, and $3000 for high performance panther ket with 12 % more flow.

AZKC
02-11-2003, 05:21 PM
NeoBurn:
For those interested $1800 rebuilt, $2400 stock new, and $3000 for high performance panther ket with 12 % more flow. Are there any core charges? And who are the quotes from?
KC
Guys ck your PM's

Cas
02-11-2003, 09:56 PM
KC,
I'm pretty sure those are prices from Panther.
GB,
Panther left SoCal for Drain, OR because it's less hectic up there with less expensive rent. Back in the 80's (I believe), Panther bought molds and were building their own boats. I can't remember the boat manufacturer they bought out but it was a fairly popular boat. When the gas crunch hit, they got out of the boat building and downsized their operation and moved to OR. I'm sure that isn't exactly how it all went down but the jest of it is there.

Cas
02-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Bow Tie,
The idea behind setting back the pump is to get the intake further back in the boat to be able to get more of the boat out of the water. The more boat out of the water means more speed.
For example, here's a stock set-up with a Berk
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/My_Pictures0024.JPG
And here's the same boat with the pump set back
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/My_Pictures00021.JPG
As you can see, part of the intake is beyond the transom.
Panthers with their molded insert could work pretty effectively (in my mind) if it were to be set back. I just don't have the nuts to do it, just in case it didn't work :D

NeoBurn
02-12-2003, 05:29 AM
That's the funny thing about jet boats. The majority of them seem to be everything but original set up.
I was 3 when my current boat was built :) .
Yet, it seems there is alot of planning and engineering that goes into a boat. I can't see my-self setting my pump back even though I would like too.
And to set back the Berk so you can get at that access port infornt of your impellor seems like a must to me. If I had a JG thats the way it would be set up. I see so many of these set so the transom is covering that access point.
Well it's decided, I am shipping my Panther up to jim. I'll have picks upon return. Getting cleaned up for the install, any sugestions on installing the damn thing are appreciated.

BrendellaJet
02-12-2003, 07:40 AM
NeoBurn:
For those interested $1800 rebuilt, $2400 stock new, and $3000 for high performance panther ket with 12 % more flow. Thats not what it said in the ***boat article they did on Panthers. Did anyone see it, I think it was the December issue. If I recall correctly, 300 for a basic rebuild, and 1200 for the 10-15%performance upgrade.

HOOTER SLED-
02-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Cas:
KC,
I'm pretty sure those are prices from Panther.
GB,
Panther left SoCal for Drain, OR because it's less hectic up there with less expensive rent. Back in the 80's (I believe), Panther bought molds and were building their own boats. I can't remember the boat manufacturer they bought out but it was a fairly popular boat. When the gas crunch hit, they got out of the boat building and downsized their operation and moved to OR. I'm sure that isn't exactly how it all went down but the jest of it is there. Cas,
I think you are referring to Pantera Boats. That is what I have. I think they were in Burbank back then. 454 Chevy w/ Panther Jet, built by Panther. I've only had it since August, still learning about it. I can't believe how clean this boat was, a big reason why I bought it. It's an 1989 20.5' open bow, all original, w/only 247 hours on it. Can't complain

HOOTER SLED-
02-12-2003, 08:11 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot, the guy I bought it off of said he replaced the original pump with a brand new one. I can't remember what he said was wrong with it. I think it just needed to be rebuilt, but his insurance for some reason covered the entire cost to replace it. He told me it was around $3000 bucks to do. So cool for me, I believe I scored.

NeoBurn
02-12-2003, 08:13 AM
BrendellaJet:
NeoBurn:
For those interested $1800 rebuilt, $2400 stock new, and $3000 for high performance panther ket with 12 % more flow. Thats not what it said in the ***boat article they did on Panthers. Did anyone see it, I think it was the December issue. If I recall correctly, 300 for a basic rebuild, and 1200 for the 10-15%performance upgrade. Those prices I posted are for new or rebuilt jets. (if you didn't have a jet to rebuild)
REBUILD prices are as you stated 300 and 1200 for the 10-15%performance upgrade. However, that is taking into consideration your HARD PARTS are good.
I was posting on what a jet would cost out right not prices to rebuild.
For instance my jet needs a new impeller housing ($750). So for Performance upgrade it's 750 + 1200. In addition my outer hardware ex. bucket control are is sloppy and needs to be re-sleeved so thats even more.
[ February 12, 2003, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

Cas
02-12-2003, 08:32 AM
NeoBurn
For instance my jet needs a new impeller housing ($750). So for Performance upgrade it's 750 + 1200. In addition my outer hardware ex. bucket control are is sloppy and needs to be re-sleeved so thats even more. [/QB]Neo,
The bucket is loose because the bushings are worn out. I replaced mine last year, real easy to do. Actually, I changed the nyliner bushings, rear bearing and seal, installed nozzle blocks all for under $100.00.
As far as having an inspection cover, you will very rarely need one with a Panther. The Stainless Steel shaft is enclosed so it's rare to get something stuck in the pump. If you do, it takes about 15 minutes to remove the Stator Housing to clean it out. Normally all you need to do is put it in reverse, rev the motor and throw it in forward. That will usually blow anything out that's caught in the pump.
Are you sure you need a new housing?
Hooter,
Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see your boat.

HOOTER SLED-
02-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Hooter,
Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see your boat. [/QB][/QUOTE]
Cas,
Let me try to get some taken this weekend. I have some of my other boat, but not the newer one. If the rain lets up I'll be workin' on it. Boat Show Saturday, work on boat on Sunday.

Cas
02-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Great! Can't wait to see the pictures.
If you guys could swing it, it would be cool for you guys to come up Aug 23, 24, 25 and join us at Tower Park on the Delta. I could use a big Panther contingent :D
Right now I think I have 3 sites left but I know I can add a couple of more if necessary.
If you haven't checked it out yet, take a look at www.laidbackboaters.com (http://www.laidbackboaters.com) under the past events to see what it's all about. We have at least one person coming up from AR and another from Las Vegas that you could convoy up with.
As it stands right now, we have people coming from WA, OR, NV, IL and a bunch from CA for the weekend and a bunch more for the day on Saturday. All tolled, there should be about 60+ boats coming with 95% being jets.
It's going to be a blast!

AZKC
02-12-2003, 05:22 PM
Ck'd out Laidbackboaters.com, nice site. Dam long tow from Tucson but its been done before my dad is in Yuba City and I took him our boat when he bought it and towed it back when I got it back about 4 years ago. Love that area. :)
KC

Cas
02-12-2003, 07:08 PM
We've got a couple of people coming from Yuba City. Heck, it's about a 16 hour tow isn't it? Think of it this way, it's closer than towing to Oregon :D

AZKC
02-13-2003, 08:30 AM
More like 20hrs, it makes a nice break in Havasu for a couple of days though :D I haven't been out there for a couple of years so who knows it might be a nice summer break...
KC

AZKC
02-16-2003, 10:07 AM
this is the 454 project coming to a close, just about done with it and then on to the Panther..
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/oil_pan_main_studs0027.JPG
KC
[ February 16, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: AZKC ]

NeoBurn
02-16-2003, 04:47 PM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/ENGINE_078.JPG
Any Ideas?

NeoBurn
02-16-2003, 04:52 PM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/ENGINE_080.JPG
460 Ford
Well interior and engine and jet? Wooh overwhelming.

AZKC
02-17-2003, 11:39 AM
NeoBurn:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/ENGINE_078.JPG
Any Ideas? It cleaned up nice, some guys have started using the thin aluminum diamond plate, 396 used spray in bedliner coating. I'm thinking of using the protective spray they put on cars to protect from rockchips(thinner stuff than bedliner spray). Or you could carpet it but that can be a pain if it gets messy(oil/water/gas/)
KC

NeoBurn
02-17-2003, 11:50 AM
Being weight conscious I am wondering how much spray will add, and how easy is that to clean?

Bow Tie Omega
02-17-2003, 01:42 PM
What about that trunk paint(spatter paint) and adding a clear coat after that. It would be durable and wipe up easily. My only question would be how well it would adhere to that surface.

Cas
02-17-2003, 10:04 PM
damn, typed a long post, hit add reply and locked up. I hate when that happens!
What do you guys have in your engines? Anything special? If you have GPS's, it would be great to get some numbers to get a good baseline for different hulls and different engine combinations.
I'm going to put the engine from my 21' Tahiti that GPS'd 56.6 @ 4600 to wee what it'll do in a lighter 19'.
Neo,
What about Pergo? Could give it a real clean look, easy to clean and very durable (no, I'm not a Pergo rep) Might be slippery though.

AZKC
02-24-2003, 10:09 AM
Bumpin, pump is next :cool:
KC

jim@pj
02-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Steve.. Just followed up on this conversation, been busy. Thanks for the compliment. Look forward to meeting you. Jim
Neoburn Haven't seen your jet , is it on the way? Jim

jim@pj
02-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Steve.. Just followed up on the conversation, Ive been busy. Thanks for the complimenr. Look forward to meeting you. Just a note, if you have a hard part problem and I am building your jet , I will give you a package deal. You will Save $$$ Jim www.performancejet.com (http://www.performancejet.com)

NeoBurn
02-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Pumps is trashed sending it out to Jim very soon.
[ March 06, 2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

AZKC
03-07-2003, 11:01 AM
I split my pump last night and its pretty hammered I think, the housing that holds the impeller is pitted/worn pretty bad. It has cavities in about 1\3rd of the bowl atleast 3/8" deep and the end housing(nozzle) that the impeller centers in\on is worn in steps from 1/16" to 1/4". Good news the bearings seem in good shape.
Probably normal wear for a 20 year old pump, but it looks nasty. I've got pics that I'll post later when I get home.
Is the pitting in the housing what you would use some type of filler on?
KC

NeoBurn
03-07-2003, 02:58 PM
AKZC I actually bought some DEVCON Aluminum Putty. That's what Panther uses to fill in the pitting. When I was on the phone with Steve from Panther he advised me to wait till it's dark then take a flashlight and shine it in the bowl. Check to see that no light shines through tiny pinholes in the casting to the outside of the housing.
Did you take the Impellor and shaft out? or just separate the stator housing and the impellor housing?

AZKC
03-07-2003, 05:38 PM
I'm starting a new thread, pics are there...
KC