PDA

View Full Version : Motor Mount ? for 455

Taylorman
12-11-2002, 02:28 PM
I am wondering how important is the metal strap that attaches to the two stringer motor mounts on a three point mount. That sounded stupid. I have a Taylor SJ 1976 with 455. It has a 3 point motor mount. Im sure most of you have seen the flat metal strap that runs under the enging and prevents you from using a ten qt. oil pan. Is this piece of metat that critcal, or can I just unbolt it from the motor mounts and put on a 10 qt pan?

hack job
12-11-2002, 03:21 PM
well on my spectra 19 with a 460 i did just that and it had no efect on the way the motor ran in the boat( no excessive shaking)
just my .02 wink

GlastronGuy
12-11-2002, 04:03 PM
We are running a 10 quart pan on a 455 with a 3 point mount and the strap in place. Where we had fitting problems at was where the jet intake forms a hump at the rear of the motor. We had to relieve some material from the bilge and it is a tight fit but it works. Have you tried the pan or are you assuming it won't fit? We did find out that only one type of pan would fit in our application (Glastron/Carlson)and had to sell the first pan at a loss as we had to "persuade" it to fit. These pics are not of the actual pans, just a representation of the style.
This one didn't work:
http://www.milodon.net/oilpans/30900_small.gif
This one did:
http://www.milodon.net/oilpans/31300_small.gif

Duane HTP
12-11-2002, 07:47 PM
The way we have handeled that problem on several boats , Is to make a strap that fits along the floor bottom, weld it in place, and then cut out the original strap.Duane HTP

Taylorman
12-12-2002, 08:12 AM
If im not mistaking, the metal strap on mine just bolts to the mounts therefore I would not have to cut it out, just unbolt it. Does anyone think I will have problems if I take it off?

Taylorman
12-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Come on guys, help me out here. Give me your opinion. Where are the experts when you need them?

caution 2
12-16-2002, 01:27 PM
Just use a 4pt front mount on the front, I have a used one, Jim

Taylorman
12-17-2002, 07:58 AM
Would a 4 point mount on the front and the pump mount on the rear be strong enough to support the engine? Im concerned that the rear mount could not take the weight. I am only asking this because I prefer not to change to 4 point mount because the 3 point mount covers the ujoint. The 4 point mount leaves the u joint exposed. Any other ideas are welcome.

GlastronGuy
12-17-2002, 08:23 AM
Taylorman:
Come on guys, help me out here. Give me your opinion. Where are the experts when you need them?Duane HTP is one of the experts.

mud duck
12-17-2002, 11:18 AM
Duane at HTP did my '75 Taylor SS, Olds 455 w/12JE pump, engine mount mods for an over sized oil pan and pick up. I even have a picture at home of the fabricated new mount. I'll try and find it and post it here for your viewing pleasure. :D

mud duck
12-17-2002, 05:32 PM
What do you know, I actually found it okay.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Motor_mount.JPG
Motor mount for a three point, under an Olds 455, 12JE pump, '75 Taylor SS.

sidewound
12-18-2002, 02:49 AM
If you did't need it, it probably wouldn't have been there to start with. Most manufactureres don't add $ to their cost unless they have too. Peace Man

Taylorman
12-18-2002, 07:05 AM
Made up my mind. Last night I unbolted the metal stap from my motor mounts and I didn't like what I saw. The motor dropped about an inch. The strap holds the motor mounts level. Since the strap is a straight piece of metal, it can't stretch, therefore hold the two mounts together. When I unbolted it, the mounts where allowed to move apart and the dropped about an inch. It doesn't seem like the picture above would provide the same strength to hold the mounts together because its not a straight piece of metal. I think Im just going to use an 8 qt pan to replace my stock pan. I can't imagine that two more qts will make that big of a difference.

Duane HTP
12-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Take another look at the picture above. The strap fits against the bottom of the boat. There's no way for the motor to drop down! BTW Brian had sold that pan. That's why I couldn't find it.
Duane HTP

Johnwithjm
12-18-2002, 09:36 AM
Taylorman:
I am wondering how important is the metal strap that attaches to the two stringer motor mounts on a three point mount. That sounded stupid. I have a Taylor SJ 1976 with 455. It has a 3 point motor mount. Im sure most of you have seen the flat metal strap that runs under the enging and prevents you from using a ten qt. oil pan. Is this piece of metat that critcal, or can I just unbolt it from the motor mounts and put on a 10 qt pan?I have a used polished set if you need them email me

Taylorman
12-18-2002, 09:59 AM
You have a used oil pan? If so, what kind and how much. If you have a picture please email it to me. Thanks.
Kevin

mud duck
12-18-2002, 01:53 PM
Taylorman, The bracket in the above picture rests on the bottom of the boat, and bolts into the stringers on each side, holding the two motor mounts together. It seemed to work just fine all last summer.
Now I want to buy the aluminum heads this spring. :D