PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Marine Grade Wood?

NeoBurn
02-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Does anyone know what constitutes marine grade wood?
Anyone know of a supplier in So Cal.?

hack job
02-11-2003, 02:10 PM
check with sommerville plywood there in hawthorne . i bought some ply wood there that was marine grade. its pretty pricey eek!

BigBoyToys
02-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Just about any lumber yard can order it for you. Marine grade plywood is BBOES type (Like CDX,CCX,ACX,etc.. But BBOES) It is specially treated with some type of oil or something.

Cantrip
02-11-2003, 05:18 PM
ask froggystyle, he is in SD and knows all about that stuff.

Johnwithjm
02-11-2003, 08:37 PM
NeoBurn:
Anyone know of a supplier in So Cal.? Try Frost hardwood they are in Kerney Mesa they have all types of Marine plywood and other woods. Sorry I don`t have there number

Sangster
02-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Marine grade Plywood is an A-Faced with A/B fillers (no knots) and bonded with a marine glue..

HOOTER SLED-
02-12-2003, 08:45 AM
NeoBurn:
Anyone know of a supplier in So Cal.? Neo,
I would think any decent lumber yard could get it. From what I was told(by the dude who did my interior), not only are the glues used to bond the plywood different(marine grade), but the plywood is treated with Cyanide or some harsh chemical. I may be wrong about the Cyanide, I can't remember. But anyhow, the wood is usually greenish in color, kinda like the treated lumber used for bottom plates on a foundation of a home. Use gloves when working with it, supposed to be harsh on the skin. I'm sure a respirator wouldn't hurt with the dust flyin' around. My 2 cents. Have fun.

NeoBurn
02-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the info. And for the boards I want to thank everyone that has replied to my posts. I have had quite a number of questions and have obtained a wealth of information.
"I'm like a sponge when it comes to boating."
[ February 12, 2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

beached 1
02-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Reel Lumber in Riverside, CA.

Mandelon
02-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Neo,
I would think any decent lumber yard could get it. From what I was told(by the dude who did my interior), not only are the glues used to bond the plywood different(marine grade), but the plywood is treated with Cyanide or some harsh chemical. I may be wrong about the Cyanide, I can't remember. But anyhow, the wood is usually greenish in color, kinda like the treated lumber used for bottom plates on a foundation of a home. Use gloves when working with it, supposed to be harsh on the skin. I'm sure a respirator wouldn't hurt with the dust flyin' around. My 2 cents. Have fun.
A little more info here.....
The greenish tint is from as I recall a copper-arsenic based pressure treatment. The industry has discontinued use of this chemical voluntarily due to concern it could cause harm to children or fruits and veggies by leaching into adjacent soil, if the treated lumber was used for a planter bed. EPA says this isn't really the case, but the lumber industry has switched to a supposedly more enviromentally sensitive borate derivitive chemical. The treated wood will now be a turquoise blue color. Only heavy timbers will be available in the arsenic treated variety.
Marine grade simply has moisture resistant glues and adhesives and more plies for extra strength. Its not supposed to actually be in contact with the water untreated, as it will still absorb water. It should be varnished or glassed.
Frost Hardwood stocks a zillion hard to find wood products and the sales guys are very helpful.
Frost Hardwood Lumber Co 6565 Miramar Rd San Diego, CA (858) 455-9060
Good Luck!!

old rigger
02-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Long Beach Plywood and Lumber.
Be ready to dig deep for true marine plywood. What you can get at the local Lowes or home depot is nothing near the real stuff, no matter what they're telling you.
Not only is the bonding process different, there are more plys per inch in the real stuff too.

PUMP 'HER'
02-15-2003, 05:45 AM
Where would you auctualy need marine grade plywood? I ask because I want to build a new engine cover one day, do I need it there? I will varnish or glass it and upholster over it. Would it get so wet as to need it? Just wondering, thanks.

lakesmodified
02-15-2003, 11:19 AM
NeoBurn: Marine plywood is not treated with oils or any other water-resistant chemicals. It is a higher grade of plywood with water-resistant glues and ZERO voids. If you look at standard plywoods from the sides, you will see areas that are void of any wood, this isn't so on marine grades. Also, there are more strands(Layers) of wood bonded together for any given thickness versus the standard plywoods. See the two pictures enclosed. These are of 3/4" Marine grade plywood, as you can see, there's no discoloration of the plywood like there is in treated lumber. Water resistant chemicals would decrease the bonding ability of the plywood to resins, glass, etc. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/plywood1.JPG http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/plywood2.JPG

NeoBurn
02-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Thank you much for the pics. I see what everyones talking about now. If I may ask another question. Would you recommend glassing the base (where the wood meets the hull) and then treat the other portion or glass the entire wood? I am redesigning my engine compartment.
-Froggy I think I might need your input on the design, but I'm still a month or so away from starting. The engine and the jet are pulled right now still working on them. I'll let you know. Thanks all.
[ February 15, 2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

lakesmodified
02-15-2003, 08:39 PM
NeoBurn:
Thank you much for the pics. I see what everyones talking about now. If I may ask another question. Would you recommend glassing the base (where the wood meets the hull) and then treat the other portion or glass the entire wood? I am redesigning my engine compartment.
-Froggy I think I might need your input on the design, but I'm still a month or so away from starting. The engine and the jet are pulled right now still working on them. I'll let you know. Thanks all. Neo, I'm a little confused on what you're trying to accomplish/build. But anytime you[re going to attach wood to glass, you want to sand the glass your attaching to, cut some glass matting, saturate it with resin, and then place the mat on the floor, with the wood on top. You would then place some additional mat and also cloth on the sides of the plywood, overlapping onto the floor(Forming an "L" on both sides where the wood meets the floor). I suck at written explainations, but if you want to drop me an email, I can draw you some pictures of what I'm talking about. I can also email you pictures of how I attached that 3/4" marine plywood onto the body on my hot rod I'm presently building. Ivan

NeoBurn
02-16-2003, 05:01 PM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/ENGINE_078.JPG
I'm making an engine compartment

NeoBurn
02-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Along the yellow and red lines I'm putting in the wood.
I am making a bench along the red line and half wood half plexy glass along the yellow.
[ February 16, 2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: NeoBurn ]

NeoBurn
02-16-2003, 05:24 PM
NeoBurn:
NeoBurn:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/ENGINE_079a.JPG
I'm making an engine compartment
. I'll try to draw my ideas.

Hotcrusader76
02-16-2003, 05:44 PM
You were suppose to come over and BBQ tonight Jeff!

NeoBurn
02-16-2003, 10:45 PM
Can't you see I am busy working on the boat??
Hahahaha!
So how was the spaghetti?
We ended up at Bennagins. Ordered an Irish Coffee and wooooow! I think it was all whickey with a shot of coffee.
Well maybe tomorrow, but I'd have to bring the kids. :) you house isn't ready for them lol.