PDA

View Full Version : 3M 5200

mile2885
09-05-2003, 08:36 AM
I'm going to be putting the jet unit back in the boat here soon. What kind of silicone should I use to seal the jet unit to the transom? Would 5200 be to much? Also should I silicone the ride plate or just use a gasket? Thanks for the help

FastRat1
09-05-2003, 09:23 AM
my 2 cents...i use ATV Hi-temp clear silicone for everything...works great for me...i run a bead around the inside face of the pump over the screw holes and let it ozze out and then go around the outside with my finger...no leaks anywhere...seals the screws also...not familiar with 3M5200...may work just as gd...don't have a ride plate at present time...but will prob use silicone on it also...when i install one
Ron

RandyH
09-05-2003, 09:25 AM
I have heard some people say that 5200 is way too hard to get off. I used just a regular clear silicone and its worked real well for two years. If you have any oil in the bilge mixing with the water it tends to turn it yellow but its easy to take off and do it again. I made sure I did both the inside and outside when it was still tacky and it bonded real nice together. Good Luck
RandyH

HBjet
09-05-2003, 09:29 AM
mile2885:
Also should I silicone the ride plate or just use a gasket?I'm a little confused by this statement. Where and why would you silicone the ride plate? Just bolt it on and use Anti-Seize on the bolts.
HBjet

HOSS
09-05-2003, 09:38 AM
I`ve used 5200 on everything. Yes I`ve used it on my jet housing to transom. No gasket!
5200 is hard to get off. Make sure you do it right and it won`t need to ever be taken off. I`ve also used 4200. It is easier to remove. Dries quick. 5200 takes a full 24 to 48 (temp variation) to cure. It will also cure below the waterline.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-05-2003, 09:42 AM
HERE AT THE MARINA 5200 IS ALMOST HATED. THE STUFF IS W-A-Y TOO GOOD! YOU HAVE TO CUT IT WITH PIANO WIRE TO GET THE PARTS APART AGAIN! IF YOU DON'T WANT THAT GOOD OF A SEAL THERE IS 4200, OR THE FAVORITE AROUND HERE IS LIFE SEAL(ANOTHER BRAND). 3 M ALSO MAKES A GREAT MARINE(NON MILDEW) SILICONE(PART # MMM08019)..JUST MY $.02...BILL.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-05-2003, 09:49 AM
3M 5200 FAST CURE IS THE WAY TO GO IF YOU OPT TO USE IT, PART NO MMM 05220. I AM A BIG FAN OF 5200, BUT ONLY THE FAST CURE...BILL.

Slick
09-05-2003, 09:55 AM
5200 takes too long to cure. I've never used the fast cure. I like the 4200. Only problem is they only come in white, teak color or black. My boat has alot of white on the transom so the white looks pretty good.
Are you cornfused about using sillycone on the rideplate?

H2OT PURSUIT
09-05-2003, 09:27 PM
THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER:
HERE AT THE MARINA 5200 IS ALMOST HATED. THE STUFF IS W-A-Y TOO GOOD! YOU HAVE TO CUT IT WITH PIANO WIRE TO GET THE PARTS APART AGAIN! IF YOU DON'T WANT THAT GOOD OF A SEAL THERE IS 4200, OR THE FAVORITE AROUND HERE IS LIFE SEAL(ANOTHER BRAND). 3 M ALSO MAKES A GREAT MARINE(NON MILDEW) SILICONE(PART # MMM08019)..JUST MY $.02...BILL. jawdrop What?? Use marine silicone on a boat?
What's wrong with you Bubba? Git a rope!

quiet riot
09-05-2003, 10:13 PM
just my .02, I use life cualk (most marine places carry it, but kinda spendy) on anything below the water line and clear silicone on anything around of above the water line. Thats what we did on all boats for the 4 years I worked at a marina while going to college. The life caulk stay semi-flexible so it won't crack or pull loose and its paintable and sticks to wet surfaces. Its what I used on my setback pump and no leaks in 8 years, and when I pulled the pump to redo the boat last year it was still flexible inside the seams.
jd

ttmott
09-06-2003, 06:03 AM
Always use 5200 or 5200 fast cure to set the intake into the hull. It has the right adhesive properties to keep it there. The last thing anyone needs is to be on a balls to the wall run and have the engine tear the intake bolts through the hull and waste the boat.
Never use 5200 on the transom housing or on the pump to intake housing; you will never get it apart without damaging something. I take this stuff apart all of the time for impeller changes, shaft inspection, bearing checking, etc, etc. I use the standard rubber gasket for the transom housing and have used the same one for the last five or six times the housing has been removed. For the pump to intake silicone sealant (non-corrosive) is ok. Never mix sealants. Lastly, always use anti-seze on any bolts expecially stainless; you will thank yourself later when things need to come apart.