PDA

View Full Version : speed of course

victory
06-17-2001, 08:48 PM
I have a 32 Victory from Advantage and want to be as close to 1oo mph as possible. I have twin 502's and can get 82.6 on gps. Everyone I know who is running big blower motors are breaking the bravo drive and the upgraded ones. I am pretty sold on the procharger for horsepower because I'm under the impression it's easier on the motor because it's not under constant boost. Also the drive lives longer because it doesn't have the instant torque like the whipple provides. I have also been told that the fuel usage is not as much as a whipple set up. Looking for feedback on drives, horsepower and anyone who might be running the same type of boat to steer me in the right direction !

formula93
06-19-2001, 06:06 AM
You have your facts straight. The Procharger builds boost more slowly than a Whipple. At idle, the Procharger essentially has no boost. So, off idle up to "on plane" is much easier on the drives, UNLESS you "hammer it", then you have problems just like a Whipple or BDS blower.
I drive a Formula 252SS, dry weight 4800#, so wet weight is probably around 6000#. But I am running a single HP454-450hp 5# Procharger, so the "drive pressure" is probably greater on my boat than on yours with twins. One thin that is absolutely essential is a Simrek drive shower....no other will do. None of the other brands will, when on plane dump 50 gallons of water on the tower & bearing area. I never have "white stuff" on my drive any more. Nor do I have or ever had any drive problems. Original '93 Bravo !! running 600 hp thru it @ 75mph (gps).
I do not know if you are injected or have carbs. If carbs, send then to Nickerson Performance IMMEDIATELY to get flowed and re-machined. Unbelieveable difference & the turn around time is only 1 week. No soot on transom, no "flat spots", no fouled plugs, etc. All I had to do when mine came back was adjust the idle speed 1/8 turn! & it was perfect. I went from 52mph to 75mph so , you should have no problem making 100, PROVIDED the boat can handle it without chinewalking.
Also, you MUST HAVE external steering for safety! This is a must.
There is a section on Superchargers for sale on "Offshoreonly.com". Also, if you email me a fax # I will send you The Poker Runs America test & comparison article that declares the Procharger type blower is more efficient at higher rpm than the Whipple/BDS?Holley type blowers.Enjoy the new found speed !! email any questions you may have.
Good Luck ! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

victory
06-19-2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by formula93:
You have your facts straight. The Procharger builds boost more slowly than a Whipple. At idle, the Procharger essentially has no boost. So, off idle up to "on plane" is much easier on the drives, UNLESS you "hammer it", then you have problems just like a Whipple or BDS blower.
I drive a Formula 252SS, dry weight 4800#, so wet weight is probably around 6000#. But I am running a single HP454-450hp 5# Procharger, so the "drive pressure" is probably greater on my boat than on yours with twins. One thin that is absolutely essential is a Simrek drive shower....no other will do. None of the other brands will, when on plane dump 50 gallons of water on the tower & bearing area. I never have "white stuff" on my drive any more. Nor do I have or ever had any drive problems. Original '93 Bravo !! running 600 hp thru it @ 75mph (gps).
I do not know if you are injected or have carbs. If carbs, send then to Nickerson Performance IMMEDIATELY to get flowed and re-machined. Unbelieveable difference & the turn around time is only 1 week. No soot on transom, no "flat spots", no fouled plugs, etc. All I had to do when mine came back was adjust the idle speed 1/8 turn! & it was perfect. I went from 52mph to 75mph so , you should have no problem making 100, PROVIDED the boat can handle it without chinewalking.
There is a section on Superchargers for sale on "Offshoreonly.com". Also, if you email me a fax # I will send you The Poker Runs America test & comparison article that declares the Procharger type blower is more efficient at higher rpm than the Whipple/BDS?Holley type blowers.Enjoy the new found speed !! email any questions you may have.

victory
06-19-2001, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by formula93:

victory
06-19-2001, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by victory:
Thanks for the info formula93. I am using the simirek showers, prolong in the drives and have put the teague intake filters on (no more black on the transom). I have the injected 502's and found cams, head work, ign upgrades only provide 50-60 hp increases so I figured the procharger is a great way to go, also read that the Vortech is a good choice.
The one thing I can't get a straight answer on is do you have to reprogram the ecm and do you need to relace the head gaskets on a stage two set up(5 psi)
When you get the increased hp do you get bigger pitch props or regear the drives ? I'm swingin 30" bravos with the motors at 4900.

formula93
06-20-2001, 05:44 AM
Victory, Yes you must get the ecm re-done. Contact Arizona speed & Marine for that or WPM. Also, yes you will be changing props. Since you ar currently swinging a 30" it would probably be best if you re-gear the drive also as it gets harder & more expensive to get high pitch props. I know it was hard to find "loaners" in anything over 25" out here. I had to go from a 19" 3 blade Mirage Plus to a 26" Bravo-4 blade or 27" Mirage Plus with radical rework on it. So regear to spin the prop faster at any given rpm. There is also a down side to regearing for higher prop speed & that is the higher stress on the gears & shafts in the drive. Every step you make getting closer to 1:1 gearing, increases that pressure. It is a trade off. Good Luck ! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

dzr928
08-01-2001, 09:50 AM
Hey victory, I also have a 32 victory same motors, same props, same rpm's and speeds. I wanted to ask a few questions on different things you have tried during your experiences with your 32, and I would like to share some of mine with you. Give me an e-mail back and give me a time and nubber I could reach you at. Thanks Rob
dzr928@naeng.gm.com

NordicHeat
08-16-2001, 02:03 PM
Go to Offshoreonly.com and lookup 32Vic. He is running well over 100 mph and his drives are still alive. I believe drives will last much longer on twins and his is proof. He is running Vortecs and his boat was in Powerboat June 98.