PDA

View Full Version : oil change help

SCUBA STEVE
06-09-2003, 12:11 PM
ok thinking about changing the oil myself on the boat. (save some cash)
what am I getting into, what type of pump & oil should I get.
do I need to change the filter as well?
the manuel recommends sae5-30w. is that regular car oil?
502 marine power engine. 40 hrs. Book says change at 50, but I dont like the way the oil looks.
thanks for your help. as you can tell I am a rookie at this, and want to start doing things on my own.

Hustler
06-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Do you know if you have a drain line off of the pan? I use one of these http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/11935_f.jpg
I went down to the local hardware store and got a hose barb-3/8 pipe and screw together with drain line on the pan. Oil will be drained in a matter of minutes.
[ June 09, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Hustler ]

SCUBA STEVE
06-09-2003, 12:45 PM
I dont know. I guess I'll have to find out.
If I dont I can just use one of those pump things right?

Hustler
06-09-2003, 12:51 PM
yes you can still use the same pump, you just stick the hose down the dip stick tube.
By the way that pump is $49.95 at west marine, it's one of the best investments I made.

BlownHowardCat
06-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Hook your boat up 2 the hose and warm it up. Hot oil is easier than cold oil to pump out. Just my 2 cents

Hustler
06-09-2003, 01:06 PM
BlownHowardCat:
Hook your boat up 2 the hose and warm it up. Hot oil is easier than cold oil to pump out. Just my 2 cents This is true but you need to make sure you have water to both the pump and the motor

SCUBA STEVE
06-09-2003, 01:11 PM
ah fock, I knew this wasnt going to be easy.
ok I think I am going to wait until op6, then ask you some of the jet boaters for some show & tell.
"water hose goes here, pump oil through here... etc"
I can probably figure out pumping the oil through the dip stick just fine, but I am still really sketchy on the water hose deal.
yes call me a dumb ass, but I have to learn some time. :confused:

TripleThreat
06-09-2003, 01:17 PM
I just bring my pump and an oil container in the back of my truck to the lake. I run the boat all day and then when I pull the boat out I pump the oil out after wiping the boat down. Works great.

SCUBA STEVE
06-09-2003, 01:23 PM
now thats an idea! idea

Eric455
06-09-2003, 05:00 PM
look dont do it urself. well do it but have some guru assist you. you dont live that far away from me. let me know i'll come down and show yuo.
eric

pebo
06-09-2003, 06:17 PM
Come on now it's not that hard.. Steve I'm sure your 502 has an easy oil drain already hooked to the pan. Push the hose out the drain hole (where you plug goes)and take the cap off. Some times you half to suck on the hose to get it started. It will take about 20 min. to drain. In the mean time change the filters. I wrap a platic garbage bag under them and loosen them. They will drain a little. I have two oil filters. Put the new filters on, cap the drain and refill. Start to just get oil pressure and check for leaks. DON'T run you boat out of the water for to long it will damage the packing. Good Luck :D

Eric455
06-09-2003, 08:17 PM
before puting the oil filters on fill them up wit oil then put them on just so you have instant pressure. and so you dont screw things up liek i said talk to a guru 1st then procced.
eric

SCUBA STEVE
06-09-2003, 09:32 PM
thanks for the tips guys. lets see if I can takle the bad boy this weekend. :D