PDA

View Full Version : Painted lettering removal....

DickDanger
01-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Need some solid info here. I need to know if there is a way to remove painted lettering from the surface without damaging the paint underneath that the lattering was originally painted on. Anyone??? -DD Out

timitunnel
01-12-2003, 10:18 PM
I've used easy off oven cleaner before and had great results. Tim

cal***boat
01-12-2003, 10:26 PM
DD,
A friend of mine that does custom airbrush work and lettering showed me a trick that really works but takes a long time and alot of elbow grease to do it. I tried it on a race boat that i bought and it took all of the lettering off.
EASYOFF OVEN CLEANER is the stuff to use.
Do very small sections at one time (about 5"x5") and let it set for a while till it softens the paint and rub like hell. Have plenty of water handy to keep the oven cleaner off the gelcoat or paint. you will need to do each section at least 2 or 3 times to get it off with out burning the gelcoat or paint.
It's a long process but it does work and you will have to buff out the paint or gelcoat when you get all the old lettering off
PS----WEAR RUBBER GLOVES WHEN YOU DO THIS BECAUSE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT YOUR FINGER TIPS WILL BE BURNED.

76sanger
01-13-2003, 07:42 AM
EASY OFF WORKS!!!!!
the only problem is the paint under the lettering is usually not faded like the surrounding paint is. im sure it will take alot of buffing to blend the paint so that you cant see the area of the lettering.
GOOD LUCK!

Boater Bill
01-13-2003, 08:26 AM
I used acetone and it worked fine.

waterslinger
01-13-2003, 10:28 AM
I did the same as bill the boater with good results. Letters painted on in 77 removed in 95.
You need to look real close to see the old letters.
good luck.........

Coach
01-13-2003, 01:04 PM
I tried Acetone but the paint was way too thick, so I was force to use 600 grit sandpaper. I heard about eazy off but everyone I talked to said to be very careful using it. I accually moved to a 400 grit then used rubbing compound an elbow grease to get it looking good again. The final coat I used a high speed buffer with a foam pad and it came out great. It still took me over 4 hours to remove the name with the wet sand and clean it up.