PDA

View Full Version : electrical question ?

DOHARA
09-02-2003, 09:22 AM
Anyone know what would cause my circiut breaker to keep popping? I have checked all electrical and found no problems. I am running 2 interstate 27 series marine batteries, a perko switch, ac delco alternator. It seems to blow the breaker when you shut engine off, and it doesn't do it all the time. The alternator output does jump up to 16 volts sometimes while you are cruising around but it's usually around 14.6 volts. I got the alt. from work so it is a truck alt. not a marine alternator, just wondering if anyone has had this problem before I go buy a marine alternator.

Hallett19
09-02-2003, 10:14 AM
The last thing you need is a marine alternator. Check your voltage regulator, it, beleive it or not, regulates your voltage :D It could be letting it squirt out a ton of juice when you shut it off. My regulator was $7 from pep boys, you could have an internal regulator, if thats the case, just have it rebuilt.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-02-2003, 02:02 PM
any parts store should be able to test the alternator, but with an intermittent problem it makes it harder. which breaker pops, the one on the engine? how often does the breaker pop? when it acts up have you ever put a meter on the ignition switch, could it be bad? the only reason why the breaker would trip is that exceded it's current rating. are you shorting power to ground anywhere? are all the wires wire tied together to prevent rough water vibrastion? one last thing, like the breakers in the house, the spring could just be worn out from years of current draw...bill.

mickeyfinn
09-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Voltage output may drop when idling but should not jump to 16 volts ever. I would check the voltage regulator. Usually high voltage won't cause the breaker to trip but you never know. VR are cheap. I would put a meter on the battery and see if it is really outputting that 16 volts If it is then the VR is a good starting point.If it is not then check your gauge. It could be shorting to ground causing too much current draw. It would be a good idea to check all all of your grounds to make sure that it good.

AZKC
09-02-2003, 03:35 PM
How old is the breaker it might be getting weak. I have replaced a couple over the years but they were usually pretty old. Replace it it's cheaper than an alternator :cool:
KC

DOHARA
09-02-2003, 06:26 PM
all wiring has been re-done in the engine compartment, I have always had this problem with the circuit breaker popping after you shut engine down. when i've checked alt with a DVM it reads 14.2-14.6 volts, the gauge on the dash will read 15-16 volts when i'm on the water at WOT. The alt has a built in voltage regulator and it seems to be working. I was thinking it might be in the ignition switch. It gets scary when you are floating down river and you need to move the boat back to a safe area and you hit the ignition switch and no juice and I have to run to the back of the boat and reset the breaker, might get ugly if I need to move in a hurry. I've replaced the entire wire junction and breaker. just wondering if I could be overlooking something.
DANO

BIG B
09-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Your breaker is probably popping when voltage spikes, not when you shut it off. I had this same problem. I thought it would pop when shut off, but I checked it while driving and sure enough it was popped. The boat will run with it popped, but won't start. I ran my charging wire around the breaker to the back of the starter and haven't had a problem since.

DOHARA
09-04-2003, 03:47 AM
BIG B, thanks for the info, So did you bypass the breaker completely or you ran the + wire from the alt to batt. side of starter then to the breaker. Is there anyway to stop the voltage spike? I have all my wiring all cut to needed length and looking nice, just don't want to re do the wires.

ole war horse
09-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Are you running the correct wire size through the circuit?

BIG B
09-05-2003, 10:47 AM
DOHARA, sorry it took so long to reply again. I took the breaker out of the system. It would pop, and thats when my alternator would spike. Now there is no voltage spikes and no wiring problems. My breaker was a 30 amp, I have MSD ignition, electric fuel pump, 3 batterys, etc. All that was too much for a 30 amp breaker. Hope this helps, I faught this problem for a while.