PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on type of starter

HOOTER SLED-
09-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Mine took a dump when I went to fire it up at Pyramid on Saturday. Any suggestions on a replacement. Price range?? Brand?? Stock BBC. Thanks.
HOOTER

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-29-2003, 10:37 AM
THERE ARE LOTS OF GOOD MARINE STARTERS, BUT GET A GEAR REDUCTION ONE, THEIR THE BA**S! THEIR A LITTLE MORE EXPENSIVE BUT MUCH LIGHTER...BILL.

HalletDave
09-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Hooter,
Would it be cost effective to have your starter rebuilt? JBRich may have some insight on this.
HD

HOOTER SLED-
09-29-2003, 11:51 AM
HalletDave:
Hooter,
Would it be cost effective to have your starter rebuilt? JBRich may have some insight on this.
HD That's what I'm trying to figure out. I don't mind spending a little $$ though. I plan on adding some power to my motor anyways. Might as well get something that is going to benefit me in the long run anyways. I haven't spent any time looking into it. Just thought I'd get some opinions from those who have done it. Thanks HD.
HOOTER

HOOTER SLED-
09-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Damn double post
[ September 29, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: HOOTER SLED- ]

Hustler
09-29-2003, 02:02 PM
GM has a new gear reduction starter that is very nice, they sell for about $110 from R&B performance in Parker,Az but you can also buy them from Jim Brock. Ron the owner of R&B is a really great guy and takes care of his customers.

JetBoatRich
09-29-2003, 02:48 PM
HalletDave:
Hooter,
HD Thanks for looking out for me Dave, mine did take a crap and sounds like the gear reduction is the way to go.
$110 is pretty good, I heard more around the $200 price?

Cas
09-29-2003, 04:56 PM
If you're going to do it right, get a marine starter. Try Arco Marine in Florida...I think it's www.arcomarine.com (http://www.arcomarine.com)

HavasuBarney
09-29-2003, 08:57 PM
I prefer my pull handle and rope. :D

Cas
09-30-2003, 07:27 AM
HavasuBarney:
I prefer my pull handle and rope. :D does that mean you buy 2 drinks when you go to a bar? One for you and one for your hand.
[ September 30, 2003, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Cas ]

Hustler
09-30-2003, 09:21 AM
JetBoatRich:
HalletDave:
Hooter,
HD Thanks for looking out for me Dave, mine did take a crap and sounds like the gear reduction is the way to go.
$110 is pretty good, I heard more around the $200 price? My dad just got one for his Rogers and I'm pretty sure it was $110 and it is a marine starter and comes with like a 3 or 5 year warranty. I have had mine in my boat for around a year, when my flywheel took a shit I droped the starter off to Ron at the long beach swap meet, he went through the whole thing for me and sent back at no charge.

Ultra21
09-30-2003, 09:24 AM
Hooter,
Met you out at Pyramid this past Saturday and had a good time. I had my starter rebuilt in Gardena about 2 years ago by Gardena Battery and they did a great job. My starter is top mounted and reverse direction so I couldn't just go out the a local parts place to find one. They rebuilt it in about a week and it was $110 which included a solenoid (Chevy starter) which he completely sealed with RTV.
Here's the info:
Gardena Battery Inc.
132 E. Alondra Blvd.
Gardena, Ca. 90248
(310) 532-0048
Good luck,
Steve

superdave013
09-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Hustler:
JetBoatRich:
HalletDave:
Hooter,
$110 is pretty good, I heard more around the $200 price? My dad just got one for his Rogers and I'm pretty sure it was $110 and it is a marine starter and comes with like a 3 or 5 year warranty. I have had mine in my boat for around a year, when my flywheel took a shit I droped the starter off to Ron at the long beach swap meet, he went through the whole thing for me and sent back at no charge. Ron Cook @ RB is the man!
And he's right in Parker so he takes care of all us river rats. And like Hustler said, he's at Long Beach every month.
Give him a call at 928 669 6411

DansBlown73Nordic
09-30-2003, 12:58 PM
I have heard really good things about the GM gear reduction ones. I think you can pick one up used at a wrecking yard fairly cheap.

HOOTER SLED-
09-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Ultra21:
Hooter,
Met you out at Pyramid this past Saturday and had a good time. I had my starter rebuilt in Gardena about 2 years ago by Gardena Battery and they did a great job. My starter is top mounted and reverse direction so I couldn't just go out the a local parts place to find one. They rebuilt it in about a week and it was $110 which included a solenoid (Chevy starter) which he completely sealed with RTV.
Here's the info:
Gardena Battery Inc.
132 E. Alondra Blvd.
Gardena, Ca. 90248
(310) 532-0048
Good luck,
Steve Hey Steve,
Thanks for the info. Gardena is just a couple of miles from me. Should I just buy new, or get mine rebuilt? Nice meeting you out there. Had a blast that day. So you think you'll end up back at Pyramid again? You liked it right? Hey, I don't think I asked you where you bought that generator and battery charger from. Price range? Again, nice boat. Hope to bump into you again someday.
Jason

Ultra21
09-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Jason,
We're heading back to Pyramid on the 11th. Had a great time and was very impressed with the "sandbar". I would ask the guy at that works there what he thinks but I'm happy with the rebuild they did. Guess it depends on the price of new. The generator is a Honda 1000W and I'll get some info on the rest as soon as I can.
Later,
Steve

HavasuBarney
10-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Cas:
HavasuBarney:
I prefer my pull handle and rope. :D does that mean you buy 2 drinks when you go to a bar? One for you and one for your hand. It took about a day for that to sink in, then my hand laughed. wink

Cas
10-03-2003, 07:31 AM
HavasuBarney:
Cas:
HavasuBarney:
I prefer my pull handle and rope. :D does that mean you buy 2 drinks when you go to a bar? One for you and one for your hand. It took about a day for that to sink in, then my hand laughed. wink :D :cool: