PDA

View Full Version : New carpet is in!!!

DickDanger
05-14-2002, 08:30 PM
Well, after getting my carpet from J & J, I spent all of friday, and saturday ripping the old out, using them as templates for the new, scraping old glue out, and putting the new in place. Man, what a difference!!! I really didnt think that the old stuff was THAT bad, but after seeing it out, and the new stuff in, it was $hit!!! If anyone is thinking of doing this, here are a few tips...
1. Wear a painters mask when brushing the new glue in. I was under the dash on my back, and the glue fumes really collected down there, I started getting ready to do the funky chicken from being dizzy, and had to get out of the boat.
2. Buy a scraper and get as much of the old glue off of floor and sides as you can. Doesnt have to be perfect, but get the really big chunks.
3. Before you start gluing, put the new carpet in the boat before hand, and make sure that everything matches up.
Good luck!!! -DD out

77charger
05-14-2002, 08:48 PM
what did you use for glue.i have used contact cement and have good luck.you will get better at it the next time around i have done mine three times and the job looks better everytime (cuts and corners).

krazykona
05-14-2002, 08:54 PM
I had good luck using liquid nail. It is amazing how big a differance new carpet makes

DickDanger
05-14-2002, 08:59 PM
I think that it was called Landau's top adhesive, which is a carpet specific glue that can get wet, and still retain its strength. It was about $12 for a gallon of the stuff. -DD out

Hallett19
05-15-2002, 10:05 AM
I finished my carpet too DD, I put in a tan 20oz carpet, replaced that terrible patio covering shit. I didnt get out cheap though, $160 for the carpet and glue and $75 to have it cut and istalled, I wanted to do it myself, but I figure if I pay someone to **** it up, they will be reponsible for replacing it, but if I do, well you know how it goes. B.O.A.T. It looks real nice though and I went from brown to tan, but now I am going to be very anal of who gets in my boat with dirty shoes.... what did I do ?!?!?

Licketty Split
05-16-2002, 02:32 PM
I will finish mine tonight http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Hotcrusader76
05-16-2002, 07:33 PM
I am laying my carpet tomorrow...Finally!
The seats are done and look awesome. The old "Turd" brown carpet is out, and restored to new again! I put in light gray on this round. The seats are white with platinum/yellow/blue markings..Bitchin'!
I used a sander and sanded the shit out of the deck to get it clean and smooth. Probably overkill, but it works!
NOTE- WEAR LONG SLEEVE WHEN SANDING FIBERGLASS DECKS...HEED THIS NOTE TO HEART!!!
Also I am using this glue called Synergistecs...Its about $15/gallon. It has to cure before it can get wet, but it's some awesome shit. I have an extra "brand new" gallon if anyone wants some. $10.00 and it's yours...Or a case of beer at OP6C III...Your choice
[This message has been edited by Hotcrusader76 (edited May 16, 2002).]

DickDanger
05-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Ty, nothing wrong with overkill. Being that you did a thorough job on the deck, that will help you in the future cause there will be less old glue to break off and cause the new to start letting the carpet pull up. Good job, cant wait to see it!!! L8..-DD out

Jrocket
05-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Hey DD...I drove by your house the other day.You were pulling weeds in the front yard with your lady.I was gonna stop but saw the work going on and figured I'd better not get involved...HEHEHE..I waved at ya though,I was in the silver car with the finger,I mean hand out the window...
Hey were you playing golf at Sky Links last sunday evening?.....JR

Hotcrusader76
05-16-2002, 09:31 PM
Dave,
I tryed telling myself that the entire time I was hacking up crapp from my lungs. I guess when you get so involved with a project you seem to overlook the safety aspect of it. I will keep the respirator in mind when I lay the carpet this Saturday!
I saw the seats today, to install the bolts within the foam/backing area so I can bolt them to the boat. They look so much better!
We will be a Macntire this Memorial at the Sand Bar.