PDA

View Full Version : reducer and shoe change??

Cole
02-27-2003, 08:36 AM
i have an 18'jet with a 540 blower motor.my question is when i hit it,it really sounds like it is not loading the pump..just revs,and then it will catch and launch at about 20-30mph.i was told a reducer and a shoe change would cure it.the impeller is correct i was told(or is fine for now)that to first address the other issues,because i am selling the boat and dont want to dump a ton of money in to it!!also the top end could be better with the motor i have,would it help the top end??? Cole

MikeF
02-27-2003, 09:01 AM
Cole, If your engine is being held to a reasonable RPM (6400/6700 = loaded pump, no slipping) then I would say the pump is tight (good).
You did not say what kind of loader you have. I would say that you probably have a blocker type loader grate in the intake. If that is what you have, you will probably want to remove that one and place in one w/o the blocker. Intake grates that have blocker in them are generally used in race boats. If you want the strong holeshot you need to get the water in NOW :D !
[ February 27, 2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

Cole
02-27-2003, 09:16 AM
mikef..my rpms are between 5500-5900.the loader,although its been a while is i think like a scoop..it has two planes that direct the water in the pump..i dont know what the blocker is ???did this help you much??

jacuzer
02-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Cole,
What condition is your impeller in? With that blown motor power, any imperfections are going to cause cavitation. Make sure that isn't a problem first.
Check your loader to see where those ramps are pointing. The ramps should be pointing at the top of the impeller. If those ramps are laying down too much they block the water as the nose of the boat rises (when you hit the gas).
I would make sure these are not problems before you add something somewhere else like a shoe or reducer, otherwise you are just bandaiding your problem.
Kevin

MikeF
02-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Guess I thought you had more power than that :rolleyes: .
Your gonna need to have your whole pump looked over by someone who can get you what you need. W/ the limited amount of information that you are posting......it is crap shoot sleeping .

Jake W
02-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Cole are you sure some one did not tell you to get a INDUCER this is a mini propeler in front of the impeller.The only thing that I can think a reducer would pertaine to is incerts for the nozzel?Jake

MikeF
02-28-2003, 05:58 AM
Cole, Do you have any good pictures if your intake w/ all the parts attached?
The blocker that I am referring to is one that is welded to the center of the loader to block extra water from entering the intake.