PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the history of the "Hawaiin"?

diggler
06-17-2002, 01:23 PM
I have a 1972 Hawaiin that I am almost finished restoring.
It is 18' long and has a 455 Olds with a Berkeley 12JC on it. Now that I've spent almost eight months on it, I would really love to know the history of it.
Thanks!

superdave013
06-17-2002, 01:37 PM
You need to talk to Old Rigger. He used to work for them back in the day I'm pretty sure.

diggler
06-17-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by superdave013:
You need to talk to Old Rigger. He used to work for them back in the day I'm pretty sure.
I'm still relatively new to the forums here. How do I get a hold of "Old Rigger"? Thanks!

79Hawaiian
06-17-2002, 04:17 PM
Start by learning how to spell your boats name... Its HawaiiAn. Just kidding, Im just busting your balls!!! ;-).
Read this thread, a lot of good info:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002084.html

diggler
06-18-2002, 10:46 AM
I screwed up, it is a Tahiti, not a Hawaiin. Do you have information on this too? Thanks!

79Hawaiian
06-18-2002, 01:43 PM
How about a nice Bayliner? Sorry man, I don't know bout none of dem dere Tahitis. Yee haw!

80Hawaiian
06-19-2002, 01:23 AM
Actually Tahiti and Hawaiian have some ties together. Im not sure of the whole story, but superdave is right. Oldrigger knows the whole story. I remember seeing a post of the whole thing. Go to "jet talk" and search for Hawaiian. Hopefully going out on thursday and still wanting a diverter really bad. later guys

superdave013
06-19-2002, 05:35 AM
He spent more time working for Tahiti I think. He will see this and resopnd.

Seth Livzz
06-23-2002, 08:43 PM
Just do a search using "hawaiian" as the key word. You'll find what ya need.

Cas
06-23-2002, 09:21 PM
Digg,
Old Rigger will be at Tower Park in Aug for you (and me) to get a whole bunch of info from. He also regularly reads the Banderlog boards. www.banderlog.com (http://www.banderlog.com)

79Hawaiian
06-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Actually you don't have to do a search, you only have to click on the link I provided earlier in the thread... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002084.html
"Hawaiian Boats was from 1974 1/2 until 1980. The company was owned by Dick Schuster, the same guy that started Tahiti. Dick had a partner in Hawaiian, Jerry Groom, who was a bean counter that came from Bell Industries, the company that bought Tahiti from Dick in the late 60's. They started Hawaiian from material that they back doored from Tahiti, Jerry went to prison over the deal. Dick made boats off and on through the 80's and 90's under the Hawaiian name but never on a big scale. At Hawaiian, we cranked the boats out at a rate of 9 a day at the peak, sometime in the late 70's. Not a custom boat by any streach of the imagination. Hawaiian had a dealer in Orange county, Hunter boat sales, that sold the boats as fast as we could build them. At that time, Hunter was offering 15 year loans on the boats, so almost anyone could buy one.
The molds went eveywhere when the doors were closed. We had at least 2 sets for every model, some of them 3, so there were a ton of em' to go around.
Hawaiian was started in the old Tahiti buildings in Bellflower, that Dick still owned,(this is where Competetive trailers is) then we were in the building that would later become Hardin/Tahiti shop, in Anahiem, and finally we had 2 huge buildings in Huntington Beach, on Container way. The building were across the street from one another, and like clock work, someone would let one of the boats, on a dolly, get going to fast down the driveway, and the little dolly wheels would get stuck in the gutter and the boat (bare hull) would slide into the middle of the street.
Sal, who owns Orange county boat repair now, was our main touch up guy and he was a very, very busy man.
Team Hawaiian has nothing to do with the old Hawaiian, and they're probably thankful for it."
-old rigger
[This message has been edited by 79Hawaiian (edited June 23, 2002).]

80Hawaiian
06-24-2002, 08:45 PM
Hey diggler and 79Hawaiian, Id like to see some pictures of your boats. I have some digital pics of mine. If you could tell me how to post them it would be appreciated. thanks

79Hawaiian
06-25-2002, 01:45 PM
80Hawaiian,
Please post some pics of yours as well. You can check mine out at http://boener.com/boat/

diggler
06-25-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by 80Hawaiian:
Hey diggler and 79Hawaiian, Id like to see some pictures of your boats. I have some digital pics of mine. If you could tell me how to post them it would be appreciated. thanks
Here's some "before" and "after" pics...
(Sorry, still haven't mastered posting pictures)
http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats&image=Boat_with_freshly_built_rack41.JPG&img=48&tt=/img http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats&image=Graphics_install_2.JPG&img=48&tt=/img

diggler
06-25-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 79Hawaiian:
80Hawaiian,
Please post some pics of yours as well. You can check mine out at http://boener.com/boat/
Great pics, I remember last winter when I cut the floor and stringer out of mine! God, what nasty work!!!!

1HOTGMCJET
06-25-2002, 06:06 PM
Here you go, diggler -
http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats&image=Boat_with_freshly_built_rack41.JPG&img=48&tt=/img
ENJOY!

1HOTGMCJET
06-25-2002, 06:08 PM
ANNNNND -
http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats&image=Graphics_install_2.JPG&img=48&tt=/img
Taaa-DAAAAAHH!! LOL http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Seth Livzz
06-25-2002, 07:54 PM
Diggler and 79 you both have sweeeet rides!
I'm currently in the middle of restoring my 21' open bow Hawaiian. Right now all I have are "before" pics. Need to scan them and upload them someday.
Great jobs on you restorations guys!

80Hawaiian
06-25-2002, 09:02 PM
lets see if I can figure out how to post this pic. 1980 Hawaiian 20', 454 basicly stock for now berkley jc pump with an A impeller
http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats&image=boat_003.JPG&img=&tt=/img
[This message has been edited by 80Hawaiian (edited June 25, 2002).]

79Hawaiian
06-25-2002, 09:36 PM
80Hawaiian,
I think we have the exact same hull only yours is a year newer. I have been having problems with stress cracks, have you had any? I also have the lovely 70's metal-flake finish. I can't quite tell but it looks like you are serving the same cruel sentence. I would love to paint mine as Diggler did.
Speaking of which, Diggler I am still waiting to see pics of your interior. I love your boat!!! Want to trade????
I dig your headers, I have been thinking about replacing my water logs with a set of the twisties. Can you either email me or post a pic of the engine compartment? I like the space the water logs give but the twisted headers seem to give you a bit of space as well. Any feedback?
http://boener.com/pics/boat/back-in-water.JPG
[This message has been edited by 79Hawaiian (edited June 25, 2002).]

80Hawaiian
06-25-2002, 09:54 PM
79Hawaiian,
I think your right the hulls are almost exactly the same, they must have changed the hull to a bubble deck in 80. As for the stress cracks, I got them. They're everywhere. I dont know what to do about them, and nobody has ever been able to give me a solution. I actually like the metal flake on my boat. I've always said that if I paint the boat it will have metal flake in it, but not the whole thing.
The twisties dont give you too much room in the engine bay. We used to have the logs that would allow you to put a pretty large cooler or whatever on either side of the motor. That room is still there but you cant get anything past the headers. It defenitly made things a bit tighter. Id like to keep talking to you hawaiian guys and learn more about these boats. I've never seen another one around northern virginia.
later dan

DickDanger
06-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Nothing wrong with metal flake. Of course, I have to say that, since my boat is loaded with it!!!! Actually though, why not keep the metal flake? That was what was represented during the era, so keep her stock. As for the stress cracks, nothing you can do that I know of. Sweet rides by the way. -DD Out

79Hawaiian
06-25-2002, 10:57 PM
I have read that stress cracks can be removed by sanding them out and filling with glass. Of course this would mean my entire bow. F#ck it. If it skis it's good enough for me!
80Hawaiian,
My boat had a new floor installed and a vertical support installed under the deck just before I bought it. I can tell that my vertical support is not stock as it was not glassed in right. Is yours open all the way to the bow or do you have a reinforcement in the middle? I also saw in my boat and heard from other Hawaiian owners about floor rotting due to the floor cavity in front of the motor compartment. I drilled two small drain holes to keep the water out.
Too bad you are not in California, I would love to go boating with you. Sweet boat!
[This message has been edited by 79Hawaiian (edited June 26, 2002).]

diggler
06-26-2002, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 79Hawaiian:
[B]80Hawaiian,
I have been having problems with stress cracks, have you had any? I would love to paint mine as Diggler did.
Speaking of which, Diggler I am still waiting to see pics of your interior. I love your boat!!! Want to trade????
I dig your headers, I have been thinking about replacing my water logs with a set of the twisties. Can you either email me or post a pic of the engine compartment? I like the space the water logs give but the twisted headers seem to give you a bit of space as well. Any feedback?
http://boener.com/pics/boat/back-in-water.JPG
Sorry for the late post, I'm on the west coast. (I'm a poet and don't know it!)
I haven't had any problems with stress fractures at all. I went over every inch of the boat including the bottom repairing all the gouges and scrapes.
I painted it myself, which was a real bear. The graphics I had custom made from LBGraphics.com for about $400. They are vinyl, but they're on good.
Send me an e-mail at derkdevries@hotmail.com and I'll fire off some more pictures of the restoration. Yes, the twisties do not allow for much in the engine compartment. This is why I went with a four bucket-seat setup so I could still fit a cooler in the passenger area.

80Hawaiian
06-26-2002, 06:54 AM
79Hawaiian,
My floor is the original and as solid as can be. The bow does have a vertical support that is stock and has been there since my dad bought the boat brand new in 80. Thats a 460 in your ride correct? What kinda hp are you talking and have you had and what kinda speeds are you running?
Oh yeah, I've heard the same thing about grinding down the cracks and filling them in with glass. Only worry I have is that you'll spend all the time and money to do that and first wake you hit there right back. Maybe Im hoping for the worst. If you hear of any good solutions let me know, and ill do the same.
talk to you later dan
[This message has been edited by 80Hawaiian (edited June 26, 2002).]

79Hawaiian
06-26-2002, 07:47 AM
I don't really know what kind of HP I am running. Engine has oval port heads, I think it was 10/1 compression, mild cam, dual plane Edelbrock manifold w/ single 650cfm. They guy who did the machine work was pulling his hair out telling me to put a high rise manifold and a set of headers to get some more poop out of it but a smooth idle and decent gas milage was more important to me. Top speed is only about 46-48mph via GPS. My tach is broken, kind of works but give me bogus numbers all the time so I am not sure what RPM wide open is but I am guessing mid 4k.

diggler
06-26-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by 79Hawaiian:
I don't really know what kind of HP I am running. Engine has oval port heads, I think it was 10/1 compression, mild cam, dual plane Edelbrock manifold w/ single 650cfm. They guy who did the machine work was pulling his hair out telling me to put a high rise manifold and a set of headers to get some more poop out of it but a smooth idle and decent gas milage was more important to me. Top speed is only about 46-48mph via GPS. My tach is broken, kind of works but give me bogus numbers all the time so I am not sure what RPM wide open is but I am guessing mid 4k.
You can get a tach from autozone that mounts on your dash of the boat for about $30.00 Definitely worth doing so you don't overrev the engine and cause damage.

BSheffron
06-26-2002, 08:22 AM
Hey all, My dad has a 1978, 19.5' Hawaiian. 460, Berkely Jet 12JC. It is in mint condition except for 2 stress cracks at the rear corners. It is painted with the white, yellow and wood finish. I haven't seen any other ones like it until last weekend at Castaic. I saw 2 but they were no where near as clean. 2 seasons ago we noticed we were over reving so we had the pump blue printed. We have not had the boat in the water since before the blue print. We just had a Place Diverter installed and Scott Place told us the pump was leaking oil. The oil/water puddles up in the pd. Where could it be comming from? The guy who blue printed the jet said he just overfilled the "_________" (i forgot what he said). I am concerned and don't want to burn the pump up. Any suggestions what it might be? Could the oil puddeling now be from over filling something in the pump?
Thanks for you help.

79Hawaiian
06-27-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by diggler:
You can get a tach from autozone that mounts on your dash of the boat for about $30.00 Definitely worth doing so you don't overrev the engine and cause damage.
That is what I have now, an automotive tach that got water in it and now doesn't work right. You got to kick down a hundie for a good marine quality tach. Of course it won't match so I will need to replace all of my guages! I want a tach with hour meter built in, those are nice.

79Hawaiian
06-27-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by BSheffron:
Hey all, My dad has a 1978, 19.5' Hawaiian. 460, Berkely Jet 12JC. It is in mint condition except for 2 stress cracks at the rear corners. It is painted with the white, yellow and wood finish. I haven't seen any other ones like it until last weekend at Castaic. I saw 2 but they were no where near as clean. 2 seasons ago we noticed we were over reving so we had the pump blue printed. We have not had the boat in the water since before the blue print. We just had a Place Diverter installed and Scott Place told us the pump was leaking oil. The oil/water puddles up in the pd. Where could it be comming from? The guy who blue printed the jet said he just overfilled the "_________" (i forgot what he said). I am concerned and don't want to burn the pump up. Any suggestions what it might be? Could the oil puddeling now be from over filling something in the pump?
Thanks for you help.
I can't answer your question but I would get something in writing from the builder giving you a warranty if the pump fries on you.