PDA

View Full Version : pictures

signmaster
04-13-2003, 05:49 PM
nope no pictures yet I have a long way to go til it looks as good as some of your west coast boats but as sone as its done Ill put some up.thanks for the advice but I need more answers please. such as are wet injected headers at all capable of getting water back into the heads, damaging valves and so forth here in wisconsin no one uses them and some local performance boat dealers say they'll wreck my new engine. any and all help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.
[ April 13, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: signmaster ]

Jungle Boy
04-13-2003, 06:14 PM
You should check and make sure that you can run open headers on the lakes you plan to run first before buying a set. I'm no expert on wet headers, but they have a valve that shut down water injection at low RPM, thus preventing water back flow into your heads. A good set of wet manifolds and thru-transom exhaust will prevent any water entering your exhaust system and engine. From my experience, open headers only provide marginal HP gains with engines up to 500 HP. We only run open headers in races and see only 200 - 250 RPM difference over Power-flo or Lightening wet exhaust. Just my thoughts, I know lots of the guys here run open headers here and are happy with them.

DEL51
04-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Whoever told you that the water injected headers will wreck your engine and that nobody uses them up here is wrong. There are not many jetters in my area but out of the 8 boats in our group, only one is using the log type manifolds.A fellow named Jim Lee has a fix for water reversion.The unit controls the the water injection so it activates well above Idle.You could also get a set of the water jacketed headers from cmi or lightning but they are expensive.

MAXIMUS
04-14-2003, 06:01 AM
I used to run a basset "T" check valve & a rex marine water shut off valve. I also shimmed the check valve with some washers, so the water would not come through till higher rpm. Another trick is to put restrictors at each header water supply! A little jb weld inside the fitting to fitting adaptor & experiment by drilling different size holes until the right amount comes through! I had a very stout NA tunnel ram set up & ran it for many years without any problems! Make sure the weep holes on the headers don't get closed up with rust & always dry them out before you shut off the motor! :)

Blown 472
04-14-2003, 06:20 AM
signmaster:
nope no pictures yet I have a long way to go til it looks as good as some of your west coast boats but as sone as its done Ill put some up.thanks for the advice but I need more answers please. such as are wet injected headers at all capable of getting water back into the heads, damaging valves and so forth here in wisconsin no one uses them and some local performance boat dealers say they'll wreck my new engine. any and all help will be greatly appreciated. thanks. you should post this in the central thread, there are some guys that run on Shawano lake that have headers, I have seen a few on the wolf river, sad part is you and I are in whacka country.

signmaster
04-14-2003, 02:40 PM
thanks for the help on the pipes. I cant really afford a set of emi,s or lighting plus it just wouldnt look right without over the transoms.I live near butte des morts,/ winnebego do you know if the dnr allows them here? I really cant see why not because it seems every boat on these lakes has thru hull exhuast wich cant be much louder. I just didnt want to spend the 700$ to find I cant use them. I had heard there was a couple of you jet guys on shawano lake but havnt made it up there yet.Ill be there this summer. any idea how fast this thing should run with about 900hp?

hoolign
04-14-2003, 02:50 PM
If you can afford a 900 hp mill...you can afford the headers!! eek!

MAXIMUS
04-14-2003, 03:06 PM
signmaster:
thanks for the help on the pipes. I cant really afford a set of emi,s or lighting plus it just wouldnt look right without over the transoms.I live near butte des morts,/ winnebego do you know if the dnr allows them here? I really cant see why not because it seems every boat on these lakes has thru hull exhuast wich cant be much louder. I just didnt want to spend the 700$ to find I cant use them. I had heard there was a couple of you jet guys on shawano lake but havnt made it up there yet.Ill be there this summer. any idea how fast this thing should run with about 900hp? My guess would be around 70 mph! If you work on the set up then more can be attained! Takes a lot more then hp to make a squirt boat run!

hack job
04-14-2003, 03:12 PM
i would hope that 900hp would get him better than 70 mph more around the # of 80 or so! thats my opion any way! wink

signmaster
04-14-2003, 04:41 PM
this is a 21' southwind by the way with a berkly 12jg A. excuse my ignorance but what is whaka country?

Beavertim
04-14-2003, 08:32 PM
Signmaster,
900 HP should push your boat well past 70. My 21 ft Eliminator Sport Cruiser has reached 68 MPH (GPS) and routinely hits 65 MPH with what I estimate is ~550 HP. I will be happy breaking 70 w/o major mods (porting, maybe cam upgrade). Let us know how you do. Tim

Blown 472
04-15-2003, 04:59 AM
signmaster:
this is a 21' southwind by the way with a berkly 12jg A. excuse my ignorance but what is whaka country? Merc outboards, what color is your boat?? I have a gold and yellow glastron and I hang out in the wolf river, or the sand bar in fremont.

signmaster
04-15-2003, 02:52 PM
I want to thank everyone for all the help&advice this is great I never new there were this many jets out there especially here in wis. I am either at the sandbar or stretch,s every weekend for the last three summers I used to have a yellow&white searay with some hoaky graphics on it and straight pipes i/o not jet. my new project is white & two colors of purple Im about 1/2 way done painting it I hope to have it done by june.