PDA

View Full Version : nitrous bottle mounting ?

FOMOCO76
04-16-2003, 02:46 AM
Where do I mount my nitrous bottles ? I want to use two 10 lb. bottles . is it safe to mount them in the engine compartment ? or should I mount them under the bow ? Does anybody have some clever ideas where to mount these things in a 1976 18ft sleekcraft rebel jet ?

burbanite
04-16-2003, 06:31 AM
I have seen a Sleekcraft with a bottle mounted on the left and just forward of the drivers seat.
Although I don't know much about where to put it this looks like a great way to mount it.
http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=002183

hoolign
04-16-2003, 06:44 AM
If you mount them in my boat they'll be safe :D

PLACECRAFT20
04-16-2003, 07:28 AM
MY UNDERSTANDING IS THE PRESSURE IN THE BOTTLE CHANGES WITH HEAT. I CONFIRMED THIS BY LOOKING IN MY INSTRUCTION MANUAL. THE HOTTER THE BOTTLE THE LESS CONSISTENT THE OUTPUT IS. I MOUNTED MINE UNDER THE DECK AND THROW A TOWEL OVER IT TO TRY TO KEEP IT COOL.
BY THE WAY I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOUR DOUBLE MOUNT. I AM RUNNING A SINGLE AND IT ONLY LAST ABOUT 15 OR 20 MINUTES. NOT MUCH PLAY TIME!
THATS MY 2 CENTS

77charger
04-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Mount them under the bow.This way they are out of the sun.if you need to cool down you can put a wet towel over them.I mounted mine under the bow for my set up that was the best location in my boat plus it was out of the way but easy to get to.

Hallett19
04-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Robert, isnt the whole idea to warm them up ? More pressure ? A friend of mine who had them in his mustang had a bottle heater and always let it cook in the sun before a pass.

77charger
04-16-2003, 04:54 PM
Hallett19:
Robert, isnt the whole idea to warm them up ? More pressure ? A friend of mine who had them in his mustang had a bottle heater and always let it cook in the sun before a pass. At the river it is no prob since there is heat but if the bottle is in direct sunlight it can build to much pressure.Esp when it is over 100 degrees.I never bought a pressure guage for my old system(but highly recomend it)But the sytem seemed to work very well.If i wanted to use the botlle in the morning and it felt cold i would put in the sun for a little(if bottle felt cold) but once warmed it stayed in the boat.Kind of like being in the shade or direct sunlight when its 95 deg outside what feels warmer?even thought the shade is 95 also

Squirtcha?
04-16-2003, 04:58 PM
I did mine like Placecraft20 and 77charger did. I mounted it up under the bow. I also ran a manual remote valve setup so I can turn it on and off from the driver's seat. I reckon I studied on it some and the nitrous bible says that there is an optimum temperature (neither too hot, or too cold) where the N2O is in a liquid state. It's the liquid that really does the work. If the bottle is too cold it's in a gaseous state. Too hot and it's also in a gaseous state. This s what the book said, so take it for what it's worth. I found that mine still worked just fine in the middle of a 110 degree day here in Arizona. Since the bottle is under the deck, I assume that it was a bit cooler than the ambient air temperature.
[ April 16, 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

wsuwrhr
04-16-2003, 06:32 PM
I have something for you to mount it,(paper shuffling around), just as soon as I find it....

wsuwrhr
04-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Here you go, one billet nitrous bracket I made up that I am selling. I listed them on a couple of threads on here.
Brian
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/63Mvc-005f.jpg

Jake W
04-16-2003, 07:45 PM
That mount is dam cool so when you need to fill it up you just pull the pins and use the handel to carry it?Sweet.Do you have a catolog with the stuff you make?Thanks Jake

wsuwrhr
04-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Click on the link and you will be there. My web page (http://www.geocities.com/wsuwrhr/sbproducts.html)
Thanks for the compliment on the bracket. Just pull the two pins and there you go...Instant carrying handle.
Brian
[ April 17, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

TRG
04-17-2003, 06:45 PM
just a bit of concern, but is it safe to put a bottle in an area that gets that much abuse such as the bow of an 18-20' hot rod?...dont know much about nitrous and the mounting of it? please fill me in! :confused:

Squirtcha?
04-17-2003, 08:52 PM
If that were the case.........
I don't think anybody would
be running nitrous in a small
hotrod boat. There isn't a spot
in my boat that hasn't taken
a good hit from a wave, jumping
a wake, or whatever. I'm pretty
sure the only thing you need to
be concerned about is if the
bottle were to get struck by
a hard object like a piece of
metal, a ski, loose tool or
something like that. Just the
usual bouncing around doesn't
seem to affect it.
Love those bottle brackets but
since I have two bottles, I'd
need two of em. I'd have to
sell something or borrow money
from the bank.
They are really nice and I'm
sure you'll sell em no problem.
I hate having to crawl under
the bow with tools to get mine
out for a refill.
[ April 17, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

wsuwrhr
04-18-2003, 04:24 AM
I am actually working on a bracket to hold two bottles. But it isn't done yet.
I can take 40 off the price of the brackets by changing to a cheaper pin.
Pm me and let me know what you think they are worth, maybe we can make a deal.
Brian