PDA

View Full Version : piston damage

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Well guys I pulled everything off the engine and she's ready to be pulled out. I found out that the #5 piston hit the bottom of the head. It put a small dent in the piston. Is the piston stll good? I am going to use a different block,crank,pistons, and rods. I just want to know if I had some salvagable parts left.

BrendellaJet
05-11-2003, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't trust it. Have any pics though? Have you seen the rod yet? I wonder why that one piston hit and the remainder of them did not. Did it hit the valve? or did it actually make contact with the head. Something sounds screwy...

malcolm
05-11-2003, 07:14 PM
That usually happens when you loose the rod bearing on that cyl.

sidewound
05-11-2003, 07:19 PM
A piston that has contacted anything in the head is NOT to be trusted. Just my opinion.
Peace Man
CESAR

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Every piston is fine except for that one! It made contact with the head. No valves are damaged nor did they hit any pistons. I did have a problem getting the distributor out. When I got it out the oil pump shaft came with it. Is this common?
I am going to set this block aside and start fresh(AGAIN). I think my other block has forged pistons but I am not correct. I am going to have it inspected on tuesday. I will keep ya'll informed.

skeepwerkzaz
05-13-2003, 10:12 AM
If the piston hit the head, it is almost definately from the rod bearing failing. If you want me to, I'll come over and tell you if you have forged pistons. I think that we are neighbors, I live @ Alma School and Warner, and would be happy to come and say hi. My ph. # is 480-897-1450 if you want to give me a call....
Clay