PDA

View Full Version : Boat load of questions re: engines and pumps

HotRod Sprint
09-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Ok, here goes, I am new to jets, my boat is a 74 Sleekcraft 21ft JR. Executive. It has and Olds 455 that runs (sounds REEEAAAL healthy) but don't know any real history on it. Bosses son did run compression check on it, all 8 cylinders hit around 210 lbs. Did not do leak-down check though. Supposedly was in San Diego area a while back, most of the freeze plugs are rusted and some have been replaced with the rubber temporary ones. Pump is a Jacuzzi YJ cry , but is believed to have a stainless "A" impeller. Am thinking about going to a 454 BBC that is relatively stock but at least know what's up with it. Was wanting opinions on switching to a Berkely JE pump as well. Reason for JE pump is don't want to move engine forward, would actually like to move it back a little more. Got this boat as a fixer upper, in trade for some old RC airplanes and equipment from my boss. Am pretty capable at wrenching, body work, painting, etc. Am going to pull 455 and pump in near future to start on interior refinish, as well as thorough inspection of both. Also boss and his son are good with glassing and willing to help with what is needed. Thanks in advance.
Rod

ole war horse
09-14-2003, 03:38 AM
I had a 21 sleet just like yours and which I had it back and it was a nice boat with a 460 and you will be happy with when it's done. Good luck.....

Rexone
09-14-2003, 03:55 AM
The Chevy switch is probably a good choice. I'd keep the Jacuzzi if it was mine though and install an energizer kit on it from American Turbine or Agressor. They work good in that size boat and will save you some work. Just my .02. Good luck with your project. :)

H2OT PURSUIT
09-14-2003, 09:41 PM
One thing caught my eye. Rusty freeze plugs? Makes me wonder if that is a marine engine?
The thing about Chevy motors is not that they are the only way to go, but that parts are everywhere and cheaper than for other motors. Use good parts, keep it reasonable(meaning, if your not building a race boat, you don't need to waste your money on exotic parts) and enjoy a good reliable boat year after year. Good luck.

HotRod Sprint
09-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Hey all, thanks for the input. I guess the first thing to do would be pull the pump and the Olds, do a thorough inspection of both, and make some decisions from there. But then a friend who has a 454 BBC putting out 500 to 550 h.p. comes along and offers it to me today, this one would probably be more reliable than the stocker I've been looking at...hhhhmmmmmm...in the words of Squircha, "Cha-friggin-ching"