PDA

View Full Version : Trailer powder coat

HARDIN18
06-03-2003, 07:40 PM
I was wondering how much it costs to have a trailer powder coated.
I met Hothallet at mayflower over Memorial and his trailer lookied awesome, He had other ways of paying for it though.
I would like to prep it my self. Not sure what exactly I have to do to prep it though. Would like some info on this.
I have a 18ft. boat. The trailer is a dual axle with removable tongue. Not sure of the make but it is a 1991.

TRG
06-03-2003, 08:38 PM
i had my trailer powder coated last year @ inland powder coating in the city of ontario, they did a swell job on it! to get it painted , i was quoted 900.00-1500.00, inland quoted me for bead blasting, marine primer and coating it,................600.00w/ a 5 day turn around!!! not too shabby if you ask me!!

HARDIN18
06-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Sounds real good. Thanx todd.

TRG
06-03-2003, 08:53 PM
if i can remember the cats name was frankbut as for the # you'll have to call info. todd

HARDIN18
06-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Did you prep the trailer your self?
What exactly did you have to do if so?

HotHallet
06-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Mike- Almost went the powdercoating route but where the joints come together on those old trailers most companies used bondo to smooth the webbing. As soon as that trailer goes in the baking booth after powdercoating that bondo will melt and ruin your coating job. To eliminate this problem the covers that go over where all the rails come together need to be completely welded in, ground smooth before the powdercoating is done. I had my trailer sandblasted at Afco blasting in Gardena, California and then primered and painted using an industrial paint from DuPont. Look into painting it. There are paints out there that are just as durable as powdercoating. I used a good Imron from DuPont and so far she is working great. How far are you going on your trailer? New fenders, lights, bunks, wheels/tires, fresh paint or powdercoating? Is it dual axle? If you need help coordinating this project or tips let me know. Re-doing mine was definitiely a learning experience.

TRG
06-04-2003, 04:50 PM
i went to inland and had to remove the wheels and hubs, they did the rest...powder coating is the way to gop!!

Bow Tie Omega
06-04-2003, 05:15 PM
Took the trailer for my 21 ft Omega to Inland Powder Coating in Ontario. I had to strip the trailer down to only the frame (make sure that you remove the brake booster if you have surge brakes, they had a little incident not to long ago in the oven). Sand blasted and powder coated red was $738.00 out the door. Turned out great, well worth the money. Hope that helps
Phone: 909-947-1122
www.inlandpowder.com (http://www.inlandpowder.com)
[ June 04, 2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Bow Tie Omega ]

TRG
06-04-2003, 06:14 PM
well at least bow tie and i know that they know how to make red look sweet,... i forgotto mention that i had to remove the bunks also

565edge
06-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Did you have to remove the trailer wireing too?This sounds like something i want done,the powdercoater's oven where i live isnt big enough for a trailer?

Bow Tie Omega
06-05-2003, 04:20 AM
You have to strip the trailer down to nothing, no wires, no brake lines, no axles, no winch, no bunks, no lights, no plastic, nothing is allowed on the trailer. I was told not to do any body work on the trailer, as they would be sand blasting the trailer. They will not powder coat over bondo. They want bare metal. I hope that this answers your questions

Sanger Pete
06-05-2003, 05:18 PM
I am located here in the hot central valley next to Fresno. I just had an old (1973), rusted, 18' tandem trailer sandblasted and powder coated--$400. Not a custom job, but huge improvement.

1Bahnerjet
06-05-2003, 05:40 PM
What do you do with the boat while all this is being done? I mean a boat is either on water or the Trailer? :confused:
------------------
Thats BANNER with an H

TRG
06-05-2003, 11:01 PM
I only have an 18' jet and when i had the trailer PC, i was going throug hthe complete resto. so the trailer thing was easy, as for the tearing down of it, the axels were left on just the hubs, wheels,tires,bunks,wiring,etc.etc...anything that would burn was removed!
p.s. I have a sweet dolly if your interested in borrowing it but im near chino hills CA.

TRG
06-05-2003, 11:04 PM
hey pete was the trailer coated in white? i was quoted around 450$ for a stock white PC!

PussyPusher
06-06-2003, 06:38 AM
You put the boat on a cart!

Sanger Pete
06-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Todd:
I had the trailer done in a light grey. Turn around was only three days. This was also part of a complete resto, so the bare hull has been sitting on a dolly getting some fiberglass work done.

DansBlown73Nordic
06-07-2003, 02:17 AM
What kind of a place are you guys having powder coat this stuff? I have a powder coat place but the hole trailer..... eek!

PussyPusher
06-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Yeah why not. Mine goes in the booth Monday morning for beadblasting and then a powdercoat. Should have it back by Tuesday afternoon according to the shop owner. Oh and its costing me 300.00

bout tyme
06-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Hay Sanger Pete, I live in Fresno also. I'm going to have my trailer done in a few months.Who did your's?

Sanger Pete
06-07-2003, 11:18 AM
BT:
Clovis Powdercoating (559)322-5100. They're located just off Barstow in that industrial area east of Clovis Ave. This was actually the second trailer they have done for me.

Bow Tie Omega
06-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Inland Powder Coating is an Industrial Powder Coater. They do pallet racks by the hundreds, Pipe racks, Industrial Trailers, pretty much anything that needs it. I was expecitng this little shop when I first went, and it is not a little shop, it is an entire industrial complex. Pussy Pusher, I hope that you know the guy. That ia a damned good deal, almost to good to be true. If you do not know the guy, I would make sure that his work is up to snuff. Show us pics

Bow Tie Omega
06-07-2003, 02:05 PM
[ June 07, 2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Bow Tie Omega ]

PussyPusher
06-07-2003, 02:33 PM
My good friend did some welding for me on the trailer since when we took the boat off of it we noticed that some of the old joints were starting to crack. So once the welding was done it was then a choice of either paint or powder. My friend knows the powdercoater very well since the guy does all of the hand rails and what not that my friend makes for clients of his. Im not worried one bit about the integrity of this guys work. I will definitly be posting some pics for you guys to see.