PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bunks

Nubbs
09-03-2002, 07:22 PM
I've got an 18'6" jet boat on a competitive trailer. The boat and trailer are both 1986 models. The trailer has two long bunks made from 2x4's in the middle of the trailer. There are also two shorter bunks made from 2x6's on the outside of the long bunks. The bunks are supported by braces welded to the trailer crossmembers at the front and back of each bunk. None of the bunks are supported in the middle. The bunks have warped and there are gaps between each bunk and the boat in the middle of each bunk. The gaps are approximately 3/4" for the long bunks and approximately 1/4" for the short bunks. Is this normal? Does anybody else have there bunks set up similar? Shouldn't the bunks be supported in the middle?
Sorry for the long post.
:confused:

rmclague
09-04-2002, 11:28 AM
You really want contact all along the bunk to boat contact area. The bunks help keep the hull from distorting and possibly causing some hook. You may consider just replacing the bunks with new treated lumber. they will eventually due the same thing, but the fix should be good for another 5 years or so!
Rob

Nubbs
09-04-2002, 08:39 PM
I called Dan at Competitive Trailers today to get his take on the situation. He agreed with me that the bunks need to be supported in the middle. He sounded a little surprised when I told him my bunks weren't supported in the middle and the trailer was made by Competitive. He said he'd put new bunks and weld braces on my trailer for $300. I'm considering doing it myself. How much will I have in materials to redo the bunks on my trailer?
Thanks

BrendellaJet
09-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Nubbs:
He said he'd put new bunks and weld braces on my trailer for $300. He should do it for free if its such a surprise. For the wood, and some indoor outdoor carpet that will last more than a few seasons, you should spend about $50.

Heatseeker
09-07-2002, 12:12 AM
My competitive trailer is an 85 and has the same problem.