PDA

View Full Version : Flat Broke

1quickjet
06-01-2002, 07:11 PM
I see you caught Custom Cruiser's sickness. It appears to be be very contagious, I think I am coming down with it. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif Anyway, what are you using to bake the parts? How are the results? Are you having any of the gassing problems that someone else was having? Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks! 1QJ

hack job
06-02-2002, 09:02 AM
well iam flat broke bro and i have been there for most of the pc ing and i can tell you htis that a good oven is what is needed and it has to be electric and cant be used for any thing else afterwards, i have pc some things too and i love the way they come out, i did my carbs and will be doing my tunnel ram. its a great way to make things last. as for funny smells yes the smells are very bad for you , we wear air filtions mask like whats used for painting but with replaceable canasters. when we frist fo the gun we made our own oven out of soem stuff and we thought well this beats buying a oven and it did for about a week then it started shorting out cause the wires got too hot and melted then to come to find out that it wasint baking the product long enough oh well so we went and got a oven last week and have had great results since. we redid his bowl and transum ring and also small parts here and there .
hope this helps you can email him for any other infoor me for that matter
Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

flat broke
06-02-2002, 09:13 AM
Sorry for not catching this earlier.
Initially we used a home made oven using a metal 20 gal trash can inside of a metal 30 gal trash can with insulation between the two of them. Then we ran 2 250 watt IR heat lamps in the bottom to cook. I did my entire pump minus suction piece and some other parts and it worked alright, but the wire in the lamp base would get cooked after a while tripping the breaker on the circuit for our home made oven necesitating a replacement of the light sockets every so often. Last week, we got a hold of an old electric oven and it's a night and day difference as far as time needed to flow, consistency from batch to batch, and overall quality of the coating. I blasted my bowl and transom ring and re-did them with the oven this time and they are much better than before. You can do a wide variety of parts with the oven, but it does have its limitations as far as size goes. Ours can do all pump parts, intakes, heads and most any of the machined parts we would need to fabricate so its perfect for us. Larger jobs would require a real IR pc curring lamp or taking the part to a professional.
Now that we have probably run about 20-30 parts (did a couple of carbs too http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif ) I have noticed some problems with off gassing and impurities in the metal. First off, I would bead blast everything it gives you an idea of where your trouble spots might be as it can uncover some imperfections in the casting. If you want some of anodize looking colors, use the "almost chrome" from Eastwood under the anodize colors after you've blasted the part. On parts that were polished and then shot with the anodize colors, it seems like they are not as chip resistant as the stuff that you blast. The other thing I've noticed is that aluminum that has been in contact with oil takes some special attention. Even if you prep the metal with a striping agent and blast it, sometimes there is oil that was in deep and comes out during the baking. The only real trouble spot I have found for this was the bilge plug area of the transom ring where I guess oil or oil residue had accumluated in the boat for one reason or another.
If you go and pick up the system, also get a good respirator. The fumes are nasty and can get really obnoxious on larger items. Also make sure you have a well ventilated area to bake the stuff. We put the oven on a dolly and bake outside rather than in the garage. Otherwise I would say get a BIG exhaust fan if you are using it indoors. The last bit of advice I would give is do searches for powerdercoating materials. There are lots of alternative sources to Eastwood for powder. While Eastwood has some cool colors, you'd be missnig a lot if you didn't check out the other vendors. The only issue you might have is the minimum ammount of power they will sell. But if you have friends in the area that think PC'd parts are cool, you might was well buy a couple of lbs of the more popular colors as I'm sure they're going to put your setup to work http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Good luck and let us know how it goes,
Chris

1quickjet
06-02-2002, 02:31 PM
Thanks Chris and Tyson! I have a powdercoater just down the street from me, so I may just end taking everything to him, after I see some of his work. Although my Dad liked the idea of doing some of his Harley parts along with my pump and such. Or I can let you guys do it in exchange for frosty beverages. J/K http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif I will let you know, thanks again for the info.
BTW, Chris, in my line of work I deal will metals (mostly precious) taken up to high temps. What we do to decontaminate them before any type of coating, is a "degassing" process. Where it is slowly brought up to a high temp (usually under vacuum) and slowly cooled. The oxides are then blasted off with aluminium oxide or glass beads (depending on the alloy). This eliminates any problems caused by gassing. I wonder how this would work with aluminum? (which I don't deal with) It seems like something that could yield a nicer result with parts that have been in contact with oil. Of course it would have to be done within a range where warping would not be a possibilty. Just a thought. Thanks again. 1QJ

flat broke
06-02-2002, 09:50 PM
1QJ,
I like the idea of inducing an "off gassing" prior to coating and then blasting the residue off of the part prior to the real coating. It is odd how a carb that is in contact with petroleum based products all of its life didn't show the contamination to the point that the transom ring which probably only had occaisional (I'm guessing since I'm new to this particular boat) contact with oil. Either way, we could certainly try it on the next batch of parts.
Thanks for the inisde info and talk to you later,
Chris