PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Problem

Ultra21
09-24-2002, 11:00 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the Summit HEI distributors? I bought mine a year ago and after 2 trips noticed that my rotor was cracked. Then, my electronic module started acting up under load, and finally, this past weekend at Mojave, my magnetic winding went out. Had to buy a new (stock) HEI from the local auto parts to finish the weekend out. When I pulled the Summit out I found that the shaft had about 3/16" play in it (probably what cracked the rotor). Anyway, back to stock with an extra Summit HEI. Anybody need parts :mad: . I'm going to try to get Summit to take care of this some how. Thanks! I'm done ranting.

BK
09-24-2002, 11:21 AM
Yeah I had problems with mine a couple of years ago. The mechanical advance was sticking so I took it to The Speed Shop? (I think thats what its called, been a long time) in Orange and had them go through it havent had a problem since.

Ultra21
09-24-2002, 11:32 AM
Thanks for reminding me BK. My weights on the mechanical advance were also binding!!! Now I'm really mad. If Summit doesn't want to do anything about it I think I'll take it in and have it re-worked. The body is billet and everything else seems well built. I forfitted my $30 core at Checker auto since the Summit body was alot nicer than the stock one.

hack job
09-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Ultra21:
Thanks for reminding me BK. My weights on the mechanical advance were also binding!!! Now I'm really mad. If Summit doesn't want to do anything about it I think I'll take it in and have it re-worked. The body is billet and everything else seems well built. I forfitted my $30 core at Checker auto since the Summit body was alot nicer than the stock one.contact orange county speed they rebuild them and they will curve them to your cam and what not they do great work!

BK
09-24-2002, 04:02 PM
Thats the name I was trying to think of, thanks hack job. Orange County Speed is wear I had mine done. Real nice guys, I was in the prosess of trying to break in a new motor at the engine builders shop when the distributor started acting up and they where nice enough to rebuild it while I waited.