PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining a jet

AntRant
07-19-2002, 06:38 AM
I know this has been explained many, many times but...... I have a Berk JE. I see a grease fitting near the bell housing an two fittings (not zirk)out side on the bowl. What do i use and how often??

HammerDown
07-19-2002, 06:55 AM
Hey Ant how did ya make out with the exhaust hose issues????
As far as you other guestion...The thrust bearing at the front if the pump need an extream pressure grease. Not to much so as to push out the front seal,just a couple squirts every now and then.
As far as what goes in the bowl...good old gear oil...nothing fancy here, just 80/90 wt. gear oil. Remove both plugs, squirt it in one hole till it flows clean oil out the other...thats it. I flush mine out about every 4'th trip of boating. Now if ya see some milky oil dont get to crazy...it happens. But if your bowl won't hold the oil...then ya have an issue with the bowl seal(front of bowl) and or the tail plug (rear of bowl). And dont forget to grease those u-joints.
Are ya comming to Havre De Grace ??? Hope so, we would like to see ya there.

572Daytona
07-19-2002, 07:05 AM
Here ya go...from the original berk owners manual. Hope this is readable, didn't scan that well due to the colors:
http://www.alltel.net/~jthieme/berkmaint.gif

AntRant
07-19-2002, 07:09 AM
HammerDown, got the fix for the exhaust hose problem for now. I finally got the engine running last night. I noticed a slight metal to metal rubbing sound cummun from either the jet or the u-joints. Might just need a little grease... I dont think im making Havre De Grace. Funds are very low and my girlfriend's 21'st B-day is on Aug 8th. So if i was to go to H D G and then have no money left for the girlfriend,that wouldnt be good. So i dont know....

AntRant
07-19-2002, 07:11 AM
572Daytona, Thanks...

Sanger Steve
07-19-2002, 12:35 PM
take the two plugs out on the bowl and shoot 90 wt gear oil in one side until the bubbles or what little water might come out the other side until its only oil,sometimes a little water might get in there, I live in nevada and i really have to winterize my boat,one of my buddies failed to do this and come spring thaw his bowl was cracked. just my .02

spectratoad
07-19-2002, 12:58 PM
Hey Sanger. I never thought about the bowl for the winterizing. I live in Reno. I will have to remember that though.

spectratoad
07-19-2002, 12:58 PM
Hey Sanger. I never thought about the bowl for the winterizing. I live in Reno. I will have to remember that though.

AntRant
07-19-2002, 02:34 PM
just want to see something...

AntRant
07-19-2002, 02:42 PM