PDA

View Full Version : Mini Hi-torque Starter

WETDAWG
07-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Ive ben having a heck of a time liting up my BBF this year. I know my starter is toast and am thinking of replacing it with one of those mini hi-torque jobbers. i saw one on E bay for around $70. Anybody had any experience with them? I am running a low mount starter. I will be in the parking lot of AVI on 8/3 replacing the stater....I am trying to get BBTAHITI to help but he would rather go Boating.........bummer for me :D

Jet Junk
07-22-2002, 02:48 PM
Those high torque starters really help alot, but if you are gonna get one, I would reccomend a Ford designed (oe type) planetary gear reduction starter off of something like an early 90's 460. The aftermarket ones (basically a hitachi jap car starter w/ custom end frame) work, but they aren't as reliable. We have built quite a few of the oe style starters and they seem to last alot longer than the hitachi style......Tommy

Jet Junk
07-22-2002, 02:51 PM
Double post :mad:
[ July 22, 2002, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Jet Junk ]

Jet Junk
07-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Stupid computer :mad:
[ July 22, 2002, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Jet Junk ]

WETDAWG
07-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the great advice. I have always liked OE stuff and think I will go that route. It's pretty hard to push start your jet boat. :D :cool: :)
Thanks again
Ted

WETDAWG
07-23-2002, 05:51 AM
Well I got the starter. I am gonna bring the old standby just in case.
I cant wait to finish my yard so I can bring the boat home.
ted

Jungle Boy
07-23-2002, 07:21 AM
I've been running GM mini-starters for some time and they don't like to get wet too much. I spray mine down with WD-40 or silicone spray before and after each run. They do not have sealed bearings and tend to rust and slowly lose their cranking power.

BBTAHITI
07-23-2002, 07:30 AM
WETDAWG:
Ive ben having a heck of a time liting up my BBF this year. I know my starter is toast and am thinking of replacing it with one of those mini hi-torque jobbers. i saw one on E bay for around $70. Anybody had any experience with them? I am running a low mount starter. I will be in the parking lot of AVI on 8/3 replacing the stater....I am trying to get BBTAHITI to help but he would rather go Boating.........bummer for me :D Ya know, I could make it out Friday night, sleep in the truck and help you get Wethawg done on Saturday. And, I've still got 1 1/2 tanks in the Tahiti! :D
BBT

WETDAWG
07-23-2002, 01:04 PM
BBTahiti,
YOU the man! What a great offer! Are you gonna bring Eric? how about Mr Coors?
I'll call ya and we'll talk. Margie thinks it will be a romantic weekend. :o :o
Yeah I can see it now, 120 degree heat, in the parking lot, under an E-Z up, me drinking brewskis, yelling at the darn boat, scraping all my knuckles, getting pissed off and finally fixing old Wet Dawg.
Come to think of it :rolleyes: , if she opens the beer, that could be romantic. :p hahahahahahahahahahah I am a pig!

INFINITEJJ
07-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Ted,
I have the same problem putting the fire to the slightly built 460 of mine. PLEASE let me know how it turns out. I was going to replace my starter anyways, but I also want to do it right.

JetboatJon454
07-23-2002, 03:38 PM
WETDAWG:
Ive ben having a heck of a time liting up my BBF this year. I know my starter is toast and am thinking of replacing it with one of those mini hi-torque jobbers. i saw one on E bay for around $70. Anybody had any experience with them? I am running a low mount starter. I will be in the parking lot of AVI on 8/3 replacing the stater....I am trying to get BBTAHITI to help but he would rather go Boating.........bummer for me :D Just out of curiosity what compression ratio are you running? I had the same problem earlier this season because the nimrod that built the motor before had an OEM starter and I have a BBC 454 with 11:1 compression and that starter would just kick my motors ass. I went on Ebay and bought one for 120 bucks I could probably give ya the name of the place I bought it from if you email me and remind me. It was a "super torque" starter if I remember correctly and I got a 1 year warranty. Everytime I crank it never fails and doesn't heat up like the stinkin' stocker does

JetboatJon454
07-23-2002, 04:17 PM
By the way.....I know chevy and ford may be slightly different. But definately get an extra handy hand to help ya get the starter off. It's a real son of a bee hive to get off the stock starter because on my boat their were 2 and one was all the way out of sight and I had to feel around till I could line the socket up with it. The new starter was really easy and light I did it by myself and it was no problem.

WETDAWG
07-23-2002, 06:55 PM
I am running 11:1 compression and I am really anxious to get this high torque reduction starter in.
it is really difficult to push start the boat.
Jon,
I am going out on 8/2 to AVI to fix this sucker if you are out there stop by the parking lot and say Hi.

SANGERBRU
07-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Make sure you have a separate relay for the power,a lot of chevy starter problems are plauged by this.And defininely a high torque .

WETDAWG
07-29-2002, 05:42 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I let everyone know how the "project" turned out

Hollis
07-29-2002, 08:27 AM
Hey, Jet junk...Why didn't you recommend the Tilton starters? I was saving moneys for one but after reading this post I don't want to make a mistake.
My bottom mount starter heats up and won't turn my 460 for the rest of the day :mad:

Jet Junk
07-29-2002, 06:32 PM
The Tilton style starters tear up drive gears, clutches and return springs occasionaly. The ford gear reduction starter just seem to be more reliable, I guess because they are factory engineered for the application, rather than adapted from something totally different. Don't get me wrong, we have run tiltons, pro-torques and several others, But ford or chevy, the factory style gear reductions seem to last the best...Tommy

HOSS
07-29-2002, 06:42 PM
460, I run a McLeod high torque mini. It kicks ass. I also use welding leads as my battery cables.

INFINITEJJ
06-19-2004, 11:33 AM
WETDAWG,
Are you still around this place? I was just wondering how the high torque starter is working and where did you get it?
Jon

lilrick
06-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Hitachi...good stuff.

INFINITEJJ
06-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by HOSS
460, I run a McLeod high torque mini. It kicks ass. I also use welding leads as my battery cables.
Does any one else run the high torque mini's?

lilrick
06-19-2004, 03:11 PM
yes...

HotRod Sprint
06-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by INFINITEJJ
Does any one else run the high torque mini's?
Yes, cranks my BBC without a hitch. I also ran welding cable for battery leads. I ran #2 awg wire, would normally run 1/0 wire, but both of my cables together are only about 3ft.
Rod

INFINITEJJ
06-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Need / want more information. Please help if you can. Want to know more about the (oe) stuff vs. the mini stuff.

Ray Hamel
06-25-2004, 04:10 AM
The starter on my 460 sounds like its smacking the flex plate on the first try and sounds fine on the second try which starts the engine with no problem. I was told the starter needed to be shimed because the gear is out of line with the flex plate. Has anyone ever heard of this or am I getting BS'd??????? Before I was told this store, I was thinking of getting a new starter. :confused:

1978 Rogers
09-08-2004, 11:20 AM
My started took a crap on me this weekend. Need to replace it. Do I contact my local Ford dealer for the mini-high torque that was talked about here? How much do they run?