PDA

View Full Version : Need help on bassetts and the water flow

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-16-2002, 09:03 PM
If you run too much water in OTR headers what could happen? Can it go back into the heads and cause a problem?
I noticed today my buddy was running alot of water through his headers. He has milky oil, would this cause it? I was thinking a blown head gasket.I just wanted to make sure that too much water in the headers would or wouldnt cause this.His compression is a little off on a couple of cylnders also.(455 olds)

froggystyle
06-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Too much water going through the headers, or a malfunctioning Bassett valve inevitably causes water in the oil. (Reversion from the camshaft overlap... usually upon shutdown.)
One seriously hayseed trick you can do to get rid of a small amount of water in the oil is to drastically restrict the water flow going into the motor until it really really really heats up... then the water content will steam off from the breathers and you are usually back to clean oil.

coolchange
06-17-2002, 01:33 PM
You should see virtually no water at idle. Froggy's right, revervsion will suck water in the cyls. and if you shut down at idle with lots of water you will wet the rings. then the rings rust and stick in the piston. Also if you make a WFO pass and get totally out of it you are sucking tons of water in your motor.

HammerDown
06-17-2002, 02:34 PM
One thing I always do is make sure the headers are dry before shuting off the motor...also is come off a hi-speed run nice and easy as no to hyd. the motor. One last thing I've done is to tapp and install small brass screws(6-32) in each of the header jets then I drilled them out with a .062 drill. That makes for a nice mist or fog out the back.
I also run a pre filter for the block and the headers...no sand in the motor...ever and never a cloged header line.

diggler
06-17-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown:
One thing I always do is make sure the headers are dry before shuting off the motor...also is come off a hi-speed run nice and easy as no to hyd. the motor. One last thing I've done is to tapp and install small brass screws(6-32) in each of the header jets then I drilled them out with a .062 drill. That makes for a nice mist or fog out the back.
I also run a pre filter for the block and the headers...no sand in the motor...ever and never a cloged header line.
My Bassett's have a small hole drilled into each pipe at the lowest part. While this causes some dripping of water into the bilge, it is very minimal.

1tricky1
06-17-2002, 03:29 PM
You can buy fittings with a .125 hole built in that mounts just before the injector manifold. They also make those screw in brass jets that Hammerdown was referring to in differant sizes to fit your application. I got mine @ www.rexmar.com. (http://www.rexmar.com.) (not spamming, just helping).

XClutchboy725
06-17-2002, 03:47 PM
I had the same problem with Bassetts several years ago. I looked at everything (are heads cracked, block cracked, etc.?)
I finally called Paul at Bassett Headers and asked him if anyone ever accused their headers of getting water in oil. His response was "Oh Yeah! Happens all the time" Then he told me exactly where the limit on camshaft overlap was. I don't remember it now, but I want to say somewhere around 240 degrees at .050 exhaust duration is max before reversion enters into the picture. I ended up doing a camshaft swap a couple of degrees less than that and installed the restrictor inserts mentioned above as insurance. Now I get a nice mist under power and nothing at idle. Anyway.... Call Paul at Bassett and he'll straighen your buddy out!! www.bassettracing.com (http://www.bassettracing.com)
Oh...By the way.......how does my driveline work for ya 396?
[This message has been edited by XClutchboy725 (edited June 17, 2002).]

HammerDown
06-17-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by diggler:
My Bassett's have a small hole drilled into each pipe at the lowest part. While this causes some dripping of water into the bilge, it is very minimal.
Yep some water will drip out the weep holes...just keep an eye on them as they can rust shut. In the begining of each season I ream them out with a slightly larger drill and always spray wd-40 in the holes.

hot_rod
06-19-2002, 04:42 AM
If you have water coming out the weep holes you have too much water. One of the big problems with reversion is cool water hitting the hot exhaust valve. this will cause the valve to harden as time goes by and eventually the valve (usually the top) will break off! This happened to me and it was not pretty

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-20-2002, 01:03 AM
Thank all you guys for the help. Thats kind of what I thought but I wanted to make sure so I turned to you guys. I will help him make adjustments this week and we will test on sunday and I will keep you guys posted.

80Hawaiian
06-24-2002, 09:36 PM
tricky,
How and where do the brass jets install? They dont install at the t-valve do they? I'm understanding that they are installed right where the water is injected into the header, coming in a pack of 8. Sorry im so slow on this. Can you explain a bit more? thanks