PDA

View Full Version : Flat Tire-tandem Trailer

Focker
03-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Have never had a flat tire on the tandem trailer for my Advantage but it does have a spare. The tandem trailer for my Ultra does not have a spare tire. I am not sure if i can add one. If not what happens with a flat? Can you remove the tire and continue to drive?

NautiTwins
03-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Have never had a flat tire on the tandem trailer for my Advantage but it does have a spare. The tandem trailer for my Ultra does not have a spare tire. I am not sure if i can add one. If not what happens with a flat? Can you remove the tire and continue to drive?
Yep! Just remember to secure the axle.

Sotally Tober
03-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Are you running springs or torsion axles? My old tandem was torsion. Was going through SLC and lost the whole friggen wheel and tire and 75! Luckily no onw was hit. Went into oncoming traffic on I-15. At first did not even think it was mine. The trailer rode true and straight. The only thing is that that tire is probably not rated for the whole load. So I would keep your speed down to to heat it up until you could get it fixed.

scarabrick2
03-10-2006, 10:31 AM
go buy a spare tire and wheel and a small low profile floor jack.(bought mine at auto zone in a case) and throw it in the bed of your truck. You should be able to buy a spare tire carrier from the trailer mfg. I wrapped my spare tire up so when I got to the lake I could put it in the truck without getting my interior dirty. You must get a low profile jack or you won't be able to get it under the axle tube when your tire is flat on shredded.

HighRoller
03-10-2006, 10:35 AM
My buddy took his trailer down to Extreme Trailer and had them install a spare holder on his trailer. Mounts the spare tire inboard of the frame rail laying flat under the bow of the boat. If you need it you just unbolt the spare and pull it out. Then you can put the flat in that spot and away you go.

Screaming Pete
03-10-2006, 10:41 AM
I don't think i would runwithout carring a spare is the summertime around these parts 110-115 degrees and a road temp of 150

2Driver
03-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Snapped this on the way back from Pleasant last weekend and had to laugh. I forgot I had it int he camera :rollside: :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3347IMG_1770.JPG
Serious note: Get a spare. You or a trailer place can find a spot for it on the trailer. If nothing else throw it in the back of the truck. I always have a spare.

Biglue
03-10-2006, 11:05 AM
You can always mount one of these to the trailer frame. It's what I had on my old boat trailer.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=11057&subdeptNum=11210&storeNum=17&productId=34805

Hardly Satisfied
03-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Focker, jutt buy a spare tire and you will be able to rest at ease :rollside:

Hardly Satisfied
03-10-2006, 11:13 AM
don't be a cheep A$$

Chaddyshack
03-10-2006, 11:13 AM
And for those of you running Carlisle tires.. GET RID OF THEM.. THEY'RE JUNK..... go on down to your favorite tire store and get something good. There is nothing worse than having a tire explode and take out the driver next to you or even cause damage to your trailer and boat.
Just my $.02
Chad

Hardly Satisfied
03-10-2006, 11:14 AM
You can always call AAA :rolleyes:

vegasriverjunkie
03-10-2006, 11:25 AM
And for those of you running Carlisle tires.. GET RID OF THEM.. THEY'RE JUNK..... go on down to your favorite tire store and get something good. There is nothing worse than having a tire explode and take out the driver next to you or even cause damage to your trailer and boat.
Just my $.02
Chad
How often do you buy new tires for the trailer. My tires are only 1 year old but I have had numerous blow outs on others. Twice on my old boat trailer and 2 other times on my utility trailers. Blow outs suck so bad because they tear up the fender as well. I just had my utility trailer brand new probably only a 1500 miles on it and the tire went to shiat. I'm just thinking if it is just wise to change all four every year or what. How often do you guys change your tires??

Focker
03-10-2006, 11:52 AM
don't be a cheep A$$
ED
WHEN IM DONE WITH YOUR TAX RETURN
ILL BE ABLE TO BUY A FOCKEN NEW TRAILER :rollside:

Hardly Satisfied
03-10-2006, 12:05 PM
HA HA HA :cry: GO EASY ON ME

HYPNAUTIC
03-10-2006, 01:55 PM
if you tow alot back and forth cross the desert i would get a spare mounted to the trailer for sure. however, if you keep your boat out in Havasu, Needles or Bullhead your close enough to services where it wouldn't matter.

Never Too Old
03-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Harbor Freight has aluminum billett floor jacks for about $80. I bought one a few weeks ago. Had a blowout on the boat trailer this week. That lightweight jack made changing the tire so much easier.
I always carry a box of foldable, weighted, red triangle marker things (or whatever they're called). Had a blowout on I40 last year. Felt safer after I put those out on the road behind me.
Just ordered 7 Goodyear Marathons...

Holland
03-11-2006, 08:42 AM
On the way back from Phoenix LAST MONTH, I had two on one side go flat... Nails in the construction zone I am assuming. Pulled into Palm Sprgs, Went to goodyear on 111. They were GREAT! Squeaked me in, got em all fixed, talked boats for an hour and left. I only carry one spare. Oh well... No damage, Got Lucky.
BUY A SPARE and carry the damn thing in your trunk or back of the truck!!!!
It is a 4 hour wait WHEN it goes flat in the middle of the 40. In my old boat, I have limped it with one tire and the axle strapped... But that sucked. I would have paid 300 that day for a spare. I learned.

bchbum
03-11-2006, 09:45 AM
My trailer didn't have a place for a spare so I carried it in the burb inside a large trash bag with a star wrench & small floor jack . Never had to use it , was always ready

Outnumbered
03-11-2006, 10:24 AM
I carry 2 spares. Seems that when they blow they all blow on the same trip :mad: . I carry one on the trailer and one in the tow vehicle. Also, carry a section of 4"x6" lumber/beam about 18" long with a 45* cut on one end in the boat bilge area. Fock the jack, just drive the good tire onto the 4x6 and this will lift the other tire. Its a NASCAR fast tire change and your rolling again in 10 minutes. If you get 2 blowouts on one side you can use the 4x6 as a base for your truck jack.

wsuwrhr
03-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I carry 2 spares. Seems that when they blow they all blow on the same trip :mad: . I carry one on the trailer and one in the tow vehicle. Also, carry a section of 4"x6" lumber/beam about 18" long with a 45* cut on one end in the boat bilge area. Fock the jack, just drive the good tire onto the 4x6 and this will lift the other tire. Its a NASCAR fast tire change and your rolling again in 10 minutes. If you get 2 blowouts on one side you can use the 4x6 as a base for your truck jack.
Word.
I only carry one spare and a couple 4x4's
Brian

Never Too Old
03-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Also, carry a section of 4"x6" lumber/beam about 18" long with a 45* cut on one end in the boat bilge area. Fock the jack, just drive the good tire onto the 4x6 and this will lift the other tire.
Great idea....Thanks

Pussywhippled
03-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Are you running springs or torsion axles? My old tandem was torsion. Was going through SLC and lost the whole friggen wheel and tire and 75! Luckily no onw was hit. Went into oncoming traffic on I-15. At first did not even think it was mine. The trailer rode true and straight. The only thing is that that tire is probably not rated for the whole load. So I would keep your speed down to to heat it up until you could get it fixed.
But I don't understandhow that could happen, don't you carry a spare trailer?

Ultrafied
03-11-2006, 01:07 PM
If its an Ultra, it should be an Extreme and although there isn't a spare tire, there is usually a holder in front of passenger side, front tire underneath. Haven't seen too many new Ultras without the holder on their trailer.

Holland
03-11-2006, 01:22 PM
So I learned last month... 2 for me especially with the triple axle trailer.

THOR
03-11-2006, 01:45 PM
go buy a spare tire and wheel and a small low profile floor jack.(bought mine at auto zone in a case) and throw it in the bed of your truck. You should be able to buy a spare tire carrier from the trailer mfg. I wrapped my spare tire up so when I got to the lake I could put it in the truck without getting my interior dirty. You must get a low profile jack or you won't be able to get it under the axle tube when your tire is flat on shredded.
I second this. Two flats last summer sucked ass. Get a spare and a good jack. My Excursion jack works great. I also will carry a spare for my spare this summer.

Red Horse
03-11-2006, 02:11 PM
I would also look to see if your tow vehicle lug wrench will fit your trailer. Usually does not. I have been pretty fortunate with no flats. I inspect the trailer and do regular maintence. It is easier for me as I can keep my boat at home and dont have to store it. :cool:

Focker
03-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Everyone
Thanks A Lot
Will Carry A Spare Whether It Fits On The Trailer Or The Back Of The Truck
Lots Of Great Ideas, I Appreciate The Input. It Was Great As All The Ideas I Got On The Trailer Bunk Thread
Im Going To Try The Wood Idea As A Jack Very Creative.
As Soon As I Restore This Puppy I Will Post Some Pics

Relaxalot
03-11-2006, 10:17 PM
I second the Carlisle Tire Deal, worst I have ever had. Two blowouts in two days. With a dual axle trailer (Extreme) when you have a blowout the fender will get damaged and you will now be able to continue on three tires. Have a spare ready.

FLOJO
03-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Two Things Bring A Spare In Back Of The Truck Or Bring A A Cargo Strap To Tie Up The Axle Untill U Can Get Another Tire.

BadKachina
03-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Keep your tires inflated properly. They call for 45/50 lbs on a trailer. I have the spare tire carrier but if you carry it there it wears the triangle grove from the bars in the tire. I just wrap it in a trash bag and throw it in the back of the Excursion. I also buy a couple of tires at the begining of the season and sometimes in the middle. My third axle wears tires real bad from turning, I just rotate the fleet back and put new ones up front. The block of wood is a good idea, I carry a little floor jack and a bottle jack for the truck along with a 1/2 ratchet and all the appropriate sockets for all my wheels. The strap works too if you ever lose a bearing, you can jack the axle up and then strap it to the frame. Oh, and another thing, put some anti-sieze on your lugnuts. I've had friends lose a tire on the side of road with now way to get it off because the studs are spinning in the hub. I saw a thread where somebody said to use grease, I never tried grease but I know anti-sieze works really well.

Sotally Tober
03-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I always worried about using grease as it would probably change the torque for what is spec'ed for the lug nuts with the lubricant. I had all the valve stems replaced on my trailer (8 total with 2 mounted spares). Discount Tire over torqued the lug nuts. When I went to rotate tires about 10 lugnuts ended up either breaking the stud or the nut locked on the stud and spun the bolt in the caliper. They had to be ground off. Glad I found this out in my driveway and not on the highway. This all happened over a $28 valve stem job. They stood behind thier mistake and paid to get it fixed. Cost them over $400.

voodoomedman
03-15-2006, 11:14 AM
If its an Ultra, it should be an Extreme and although there isn't a spare tire, there is usually a holder in front of passenger side, front tire underneath. Haven't seen too many new Ultras without the holder on their trailer.
am I the only one who got a spare tire with my Ultra? I thought they were standard equipment. I didn't ask for it or pay for it. It just came with my boat. Mike I think yours is a 2004 as well. In fact you got it just a few months after me I think and it's the same boat. hmmmmmm

Focker
03-15-2006, 02:33 PM
am I the only one who got a spare tire with my Ultra? I thought they were standard equipment. I didn't ask for it or pay for it. It just came with my boat. Mike I think yours is a 2004 as well. In fact you got it just a few months after me I think and it's the same boat. hmmmmmm
NA MINE IS A LITTLE 91 18FT OPEN BOW WITH NO SPARE
WILL HAVE ONE BEFORE I VENTURE OUT THOUGH

roostwear
03-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Just thwrow a spare in the back of the truck. You never know when a tour bus will change lanes into your trailer and take out a wheel and tire!

Creator
03-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Spare tire is a must but the jack sucks, get one of these! We have one and they work great.
http://www.textrail.com/images/product/677.jpg
I know we didn't pay this much for it but here's a link to one.
ramp (http://www.textrail.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=677&categoryID=99)

termiteguy
03-15-2006, 05:06 PM
dont forget the wheel bearings always carry a spare set it suck to loose them in that dessert :skull:

dicudmore
03-15-2006, 06:30 PM
my Ultra has a spare tire

DEMOMAN
03-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Mine came with spare and I've used it 3 times in 2 seasons. I store it at Campbells, after I've used my spare on blowouts they have gone into my unit and taken the bad tire out of the spare holder had it replaced and back on the trailer by the next weekend. Sure beats spending your time in Havi at the tire shop.

voodoomedman
03-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Okay makes sense. The 91 Jet is pre-John West. I guess I was a little confused that Mike (Ultrafied) didn't have a spare.

Focker
04-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Trailer Jack