PDA

View Full Version : wedge installation

Nubbs
08-07-2002, 08:47 PM
I'm going to install a 4 degree wedge on my dominator pump this weekend. I was wandering if you guys have any tips/helpfull instructions/cautions? I've never done this before, but it looks pretty easy and straight forward. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.
Thanks

MikeC
08-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Hi, Are you going to wedge it up (bigger roost) or down (more lift)???
MikeC

Nubbs
08-07-2002, 10:10 PM
Up, for more rooster!!!!! :D

skeepwerkzaz
08-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Go to the hardware store with your wedge and get the appropriate length stainless bolts and washers, don't forget to leave length for the nozzle. Prepare for lift-off. Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Nubbs
08-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Does the nozzle require any machining? Do the bolt holes still line up properly with the wedge?

flat broke
08-07-2002, 10:35 PM
A wise man in Costa Mesa let me in on a little secret. When you use a wedge switch from bolts to studs and nuts on the steering adapter/droop flange. The reason being is that if you run bolts, as you tighten down against the canted surface it could cause the bolt to bend, bind, or break in the bowl. where as with the stud, the worst that will happen is the stud will bend a little as the nut tightens down.
Good luck,
Chris

HBjet
08-07-2002, 11:15 PM
flat broke:
A wise man in Costa Mesa let me in on a little secret. When you use a wedge switch from bolts to studs and nuts on the steering adapter/droop flange. The reason being is that if you run bolts, as you tighten down against the canted surface it could cause the bolt to bend, bind, or break in the bowl. where as with the stud, the worst that will happen is the stud will bend a little as the nut tightens down.
Good luck,
ChrisGood Advice!
HBjet

Unchained
08-08-2002, 03:39 AM
When you go to studs don't use the cheap hardware store threaded rod. Go to an industrial nut and bolt supply house and get the high strength grade 8 threaded rod. Yes it will rust but it is higher strength than stainless. Use anti sieze on the threads and be sure that the studs are totally bottomed out when you install them.

HBjet
08-08-2002, 07:13 AM
Stainless will be just fine too.
HBjet

Nubbs
08-13-2002, 06:56 AM
Just finished installing my wedge last night. It was the easiest thing I've done on my boat so far. I used stainless studs and nuts with lock washers. I wish all things were that easy. I'll be taking the boat to the AVI tomorrow morning. Hopefully the wedge will help my previously embarassing rooster. Thanks for all the help.

rmclague
08-13-2002, 07:54 AM
Nubbs
I can't wait to here about the results.
A weak rooster is very hard to live with.
I have got alot of input and I should be good to go by this weekend as well.
Good luck
Rob

Nubbs
08-13-2002, 10:17 AM
I was all excited when I took my boat out for the first time after installing the diverter. I had some people with me and I was bragging about the rooster that my boat was going to shoot. Imagine the ego crusher when the boat shot a week rooster. I hope the wedge takes care of it. Good luck to you this weekend too.