PDA

View Full Version : olds fuel pump

travis hathaway
11-20-2002, 09:16 AM
:confused: In a mildly built Olds, I'm running a stock fuel pump and guage with a 750 dbl pumper. 6.5 lbs of pressure at idle-3 lbs at 3000 rpm. Need more fuel pressure at speeds. Mondello reccommends 6 lbs at 3000 rpm. Has anyone used a stock fuel pump for a motor with air cond. and a return line that could be connected to the carb to get more fuel pressure. Also , are the Holly mech pumps which they claim makes 7.5 lbs any good? At what rpm do the Hollys make that kind of fuel pressure?

Taylorman
11-21-2002, 10:20 AM
I have a Holley pump with a 750 carb on a mild 455 and get 7.5-9 psi at all times. My friend has the same motor with a stock pump and had low pressure. He just bought a Mr. Gasket pump(same as Holley with different stickers) and his fuel pressure is ok now. Summit has the Mr. Gasket pumps Part # 720-7709 for $60. I recommend it highly. Its the only mechanical pump available for the 455.

Hotcrusader76
11-21-2002, 12:15 PM
Diddo...
I would question the condition of your current fuel pump.

travis hathaway
11-21-2002, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the replys Hot 76 and Taylorman. The Holly fuel pump sounds like a good possibility. I am still curious enough to try a new stock pump since this motor goes in an enclosed covered Marlin as soon as I am sure of reliability. I'm putting a Chevy together for the sunkisst. Need a good 454 Block. By the way Hot 76, I got your E-mail concerning the Carb. ad as soon as the budget allows I get one to you. Heard nothing but good things about your carbs.