PDA

View Full Version : Polished jet pump

73SLEEKCRAFT
04-09-2003, 05:13 PM
I was going to have my bowl exterior polished. I was wondering if this is a good idea and what kind of a job will it be to keep it up

hack job
04-09-2003, 05:15 PM
any time you hit the water it will tarnis it will look cool but its a ton of work to keep it up! just my .02 wink

73SLEEKCRAFT
04-09-2003, 05:18 PM
maybe i could spray clear on it but i was afraid it would yellow really bad

sidewound
04-09-2003, 05:29 PM
IT WILL YELLOW!
Don't use clear just keep your elbow greased up and think how COOL it will look. Lay in a good supply of elbow grease tho.
Peace Man
CESAR

Beautiful Noise
04-09-2003, 05:44 PM
I had my pump Polished on my Jet Boat year's ago...Sure did look Nice :D ,BUT what a pain to keep it from discoloring, :( I'd spend about 2 hour's after every trip Re-Polishing it and covering it Up for the next time out just to do it all over again wasn't worth it in the Long Run,BUT it looked good when the New Owner's Drove off with it :D
Steve

SPECTRABRENT
04-09-2003, 06:49 PM
It looks great, but it rough to keep shinny.
I would powder coat.
Brent

Vern S
04-09-2003, 08:49 PM
I too have a polised pump, what a pain to keep from oxidizing. I found a product called sharkhide on the internet. Talked to the owner who swears by it. Gaurantees it to keep my polished pump looking great for 8 years. I ordered it and will find out this summer.
Heres the link
sharkhide (http://www.sharkhide.com)

TOOMNYTOYS
04-09-2003, 09:11 PM
ITS NOT THE FINISH FROM THE ALUM. THAT DULLS OUT THE PUMP. YOU CAN COAT IT USE POLISH ETC. ETC BUT WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT WHAT DULLS THE PUMP IS ELECTROLIS. JET BOATS DONT HAVE A BONDING SYSTEM THAT IS WHY PUMPS DULL OUT SO EASY. FOR THE MOST PART MOST "LAKE/FRESH WATER" BOATS DONT HAVE A BONDING SYSTEM AS THERE NOT USALLY LEFT IN THE WATER LONG ENOUGH FOR SEVERE DAMAGE. DRIVES SUCH AS MERCS. ETC. HAVE ZINCS ON THE SO THE MILLIOCURRENTS BURN THE ZINK FIRST AS TO WITCH ZINC IS A SOFT METAL. AFTER THE ZINCS ARE GONE IF NOT CHANGED THEN IT WORKS ON THE NEXT SOFTEST WITCH IS USALLY BRONZE, ALUM. AND THEN IT MOVES TO YOUR SHAFTS AND STAINLESS HARDWARE BELOW THE WATER. HEAT IS ALSO A FACTOR GENERATED TO THE PUMP THAT DULLS THE ALUM. SO SORRY TO MAKE SUCH A LONG POST BUT THOUGHT IT MIGHT GIVE YOU A IDEA OF WHAT HAPPENS. SO YOUR BEST BET IS IF YOU WANT IT POLISHED JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE AND KEEP POLISHING IT AS NEEDED OR ALWAYS. DONT WASTE MONEY ON CLEAR COATING ANODISING, POWDER COATING CLEAR ETC. UNLESS YOU BOND YOUR PUMP TO A ZINC. WHO WANTS TO DO THAT....

HOOTER SLED-
04-10-2003, 06:51 AM
I bought some powder coated pieces from Dana. I almost went with the clear because I like the polished look(ended up with blue anyway). At first I didn't want polished because of the pain in the ass it is to keep looking good(without powder coat) . I saw the clear powder coated stuff and they looked bitchen. Looked like they just came from the buffer. I was told they won't yellow too. Don't know if that is true or not. Clear coat yellows, I know that for sure. Not too mention it just doesn't really look as shiny also. I would get it powder coated clear if I were you. Polished bowls looks tits. My .02 cents for your cash drawer.
Jason

flat broke
04-10-2003, 07:33 AM
There is a powerdercoating finish available called Silver Reflecta. If your prep is perfect and your parts have curves (a pump definitely qualifies) this finish will come out looking like polished aluminum/almost chrome. The down side is that you have to clear PC the coating to protect it from the environment. once you do this, you can tell that it is a coating because of the depth of the clear PC. The stuff ain't cheap as far as powders go, but it does look nice when properly prepped and applied. Plus its every bit as durable as clear over polish, but without the susceptibility(sp) to the effects of electrolysis mentioned earlier.
Chris

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-10-2003, 08:55 AM
I just finished my jet. It sure looks nice on the trailer going down the street :D .........untill it hits the water :mad: Its dull very fast(like 20 minutes) I camt to the conclusion that I will only reploish it before big gatherings and thats it. On the other hand everything these guys are telling you is 100% true wink Elbow grease will be your best friend :D
There is one other alternative I am taking on my "other" boat. I will be jet hotting my whole jet :D It doesnt rust, scratch or fade and you dont have to polish it. The quality looks almost as good as polish. I havent seen one done so I can really give you a refrence.
Jussss my little 2 pennies wink

HammerDown
04-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Don't they offer a chrome color type of power coat? I would think that would look better than a silvere looking "jet Hot " coating.

GM Killer
04-10-2003, 02:22 PM
ive had the pump on my hallett polished for a couple of seasons now. it is a pain, but in my opinion, worth it. if you clear coat it it will have a yellow tint to it. a trick to keep it polished is to wax it with turtle wax after it is polished and the shine will last the weekend. then you will have the work week to touch it up for the next weekend. as long as you stay on it its not that bad. without the wax, as someone said, the shine will last only the ride on the trailer.

PLACECRAFT20
04-11-2003, 11:36 AM
i asked the same questions a few weeks ago. I for better or worse took mine to the chrome shop. i will post pictures apon its return.

Lee Garcia
04-12-2003, 07:39 PM
I had my previous pump polished, man what a pain to keep clean. I decided to just have the whole darn thing chromed. I've only chromed the Place-diveter cause the transom cover has some pits from casting and am going to try to fill them before it to goes to WESTERN CHROME.
P S Anybody have a Berkeley nozzle housing for sale!Please call Lee @559-226-1400

DickDanger
04-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Hack said it: it looks great at first, but what a pain in the ass to keep looking sharp. There are so many varieties of powdercoating, including candy colors, that I would go that route. Tough, durable, and minimal work to keep looking fresh. -DD Out

JEThro
04-12-2003, 10:52 PM
All of the above are true. I don't have a polished pump but I do know that Rain-X works great on polished aluminum. Jethro

wfodude
04-13-2003, 09:41 AM
my last 2 boats have had fully polished berks...did they look bitchin...oh yeah...did I cuss em every time I came home from the lake...and how....would I do it again...Probably. It just says hey I'm bad..check me out.

73SLEEKCRAFT
04-14-2003, 05:28 PM
OK I guess you people have convinced me to get it polished. I will just have to hire a cute blonde to keep it polished. the jet that is. Thanks for all the great advice

Wet Dream
04-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Do it right, this is how it will look. NO, its not covered with anything except elbow grease.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/352polishdrive-med.jpg

HavasuBarney
04-24-2003, 07:45 AM
My next door shop neighbor has a polishing shop, he's also one of the very best at what he does.
When I saw this in his shop, I thought I'd share it with you guys. He has done the entire set-up, once it's all clear powdercoated I'll see if I can get another pic.
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-9-97565-polish_pump.jpg

Squirtcha?
04-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Man that's a nice looking pump. Has anybody tried the product Zoop or Zool or something like that,(I think)? Supposedly it'll keep it shiny for up to a year and is unaffected by water n such. I've heard it's pretty expensive ($50 or so) but if it'd save ya all that work, it'd be worth it.
Does it work?
Ahhh I must have the name wrong. It won't come up on a search.
[ April 24, 2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Oldsquirt
04-24-2003, 06:14 PM
This is the stuff, Dan. I'd also like to hear from anyone who has tried it.
ZoopSeal (http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-24-2003, 11:16 PM
HavasuBarney:
My next door shop neighbor has a polishing shop, he's also one of the very best at what he does.
When I saw this in his shop, I thought I'd share it with you guys. He has done the entire set-up, once it's all clear powdercoated I'll see if I can get another pic.
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-9-97565-polish_pump.jpg I would sure like to have a pump that looks as bitchin' as this one :D :D

Squirtcha?
04-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Thanks Craig. That's the stuff alright. Looks like I was a little off on the price but at least I remembered half of the name.
I still think it'd be worth it if ya had a lot of polished pieces (and it really worked).
They say it lasts 2-3 years.
[ April 25, 2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

HavasuBarney
05-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Here's another piece of the same setup that came through. My friend fabricated this piece then polished it.
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-9-32666-jet_guard.jpg