PDA

View Full Version : Gear Oil Leak From "G" Bowl?

MoJetBoPar
08-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Was checking the gear oil in the Berkeley "G" bowl and saw water! Pulled off the bowl and can't see any cracks where it may have ruptured from freezing. It appears to be the seal that is located in front of the 2 bushings/bearings in the bowl.
Does that sound right or am I missing something?
What's a handy tool to pull that out with?
Does that seal actually hold back ALL of the bowl pressure??

sidewound
08-03-2003, 12:14 PM
You bet. That sounds right to me. Can't remember what I pulled mine with. It does hold out the water. Make sure you put it in the right direction if you replace it.
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

matt1
08-03-2003, 05:06 PM
What direction would that be with the spring facing the bushings are the impeller.

Moomawnster
08-03-2003, 05:12 PM
matt1:
What direction would that be with the spring facing the bushings or the impeller. Did ya forget how it came out ? :rolleyes:

sleekcraft76
08-03-2003, 06:29 PM
spring faceing the impeller. the seal is to keep water out of the bushings not to keep oil in.

Taylor LP
08-03-2003, 06:35 PM
You are correct sir!
Berkeley Online Overhaul Manual (http://www.cpperformance.com/TechTips/overhaul.htm)

MoJetBoPar
08-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Not to be too obvious, but that would make sense since the bowl pressure gets far greater than whatever pressure builds in the chamber that holds the gear oil.

Havasuhog
08-04-2003, 08:35 AM
The seal is easily removed with an Ice Pick.
Spring towards impleller -
The Glacier bearings in the bowl are teflon coated.
The oil will be replaced by water - due to the High Pressue and is mainly just a breakin oil.
But if you feel better - just take out both the 1/4 npt plugs on the bowl and squirt oil into one and the water/air will flow out of the other.