PDA

View Full Version : fresh start

bratprince
01-20-2003, 09:20 PM
I haven't fired up my boat since October of 2001,(got busy last year and missed an entire season)Is there anything special I should do before i start this motor again?

AZKC
01-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Its according to how you put it away back in October 2001. I would atleast pull the plugs spray in some fogging oil or WD40. Carb might be an issue if it had fuel in it. Turn it over by hand a little. Any fuel in the tanks is crap by now, thats gota go.
Or say screw it and charge the battery squirt some starting fluid down the carb and and fire that biatch up(this is the wrong thing to do by the way)
KC

HBjet
01-21-2003, 11:09 AM
Also, change the oil, and replace the fuel filter as well as remove all the old gas in the tanks (as much as you can) and then fill her up with new gas.
HBjet

MikeF
01-21-2003, 11:18 AM
You might even tear apart the carb. If you left the fuel in there after the last time you used it, the bowls might be all varnished up :rolleyes: .

Lightning
01-21-2003, 11:27 AM
So what's the longest you can let a boat sit before doing all these things. Is 6 months too long? Just curious...

Liberator TJ1984
01-21-2003, 12:55 PM
I fire mine off at least twice a month for about 15 sec. running water to bowl..keeps everything good !
plus I get an off season woody just hearing it run :D
Gopherrr

MikeF
01-21-2003, 01:06 PM
Lightning:
So what's the longest you can let a boat sit before doing all these things. Is 6 months too long? Just curious... I'm not sure I can give a good answer there.
Pretty much every time I put the boat away after running...I,
Detach the water lines to the headers to dry out.
Drain the block of water.
Use a shop towel to drain the fuel in the bowls via the accelerator pumps (moving throttle forward/back until the bowls are empty).
Check that everything is tight and where it is supposed to be.
Check oil....etc.... boxed

78Eliminator
01-21-2003, 01:14 PM
MikeF:
Pretty much every time I put the boat away after running...I,
Detach the water lines to the headers to dry out.
Drain the block of water.
Use a shop towel to drain the fuel in the bowls via the accelerator pumps (moving throttle forward/back until the bowls are empty).
Check that everything is tight and where it is supposed to be.
Check oil....etc.... boxed Wow! I just let it sit and idle the fuel out of the bowls with the wet headers off right before I put it back on the trailer. That's about it for me....