PDA

View Full Version : degreeing a cam

dgie
06-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Do people really do it, found out most engine rebuilders do not.

Kindsvater Flat
06-29-2003, 10:25 PM
dgie:
Do people really do it, found out most engine rebuilders do not. I do. Not really necessary for a stock motor but when you get into custom cam grinds you want to check both the workmanship and clearances. I don't do it on stock motors but anything aftermarket I do.

Moneypitt
06-29-2003, 10:39 PM
Dgie, see your other (43mph) post.....Moneypitt

Moneypitt
06-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Another answer to most do not!!!!I know a lot of mechanics that have been assembling engines for years and have NEVER degreed an engine... THEY DON'T KNOW HOW!!!!!!!!! I don't know ANY engine BUILDERS (different from assemblers) that don't degree every engine they put together. Most so called mechanics couldn't find TDC in their hat without the marks on the gears, and have never heard of spliting the overlap!!!!
Do it right or do it again.......Moneypitt

TIMINATOR
06-30-2003, 06:53 AM
We degree every cam in every engine we build PERIOD! I have seen tru-rollers from reputable(?) manufacturers thet had the lineup pin(ford) 3 teeth off! About half of the cams are within 1 degree,the others typically vary about 2-5 deg.Since the intake closing point is the most important,what happens if your old cam was retarded by 4 deg,and your new,bigger by 10 deg cam happens to be advanced by 3-4 deg? Yup very little change in H.P. Why not KNOW what you have? Besides,if the motor likes the cam retarded or the lash tightened, then you know its telling you it wants more cam. If you have a problem with your new cam and call anyone reputable,the first thing they will ask is where did you degree the cam? Its real hard to help someone without all the information. Free advice is worth what you pay for it! TIMMINATOR

Infomaniac
07-05-2003, 06:38 AM
Always - even on a stock engine.
I always check the timing marks against exact top dead center. That is the hardest part of degreeing the cam.
Not only checking the cam grind but the timing set for accuracy. wink
The next time anyone wants to see how to degree the cam or just the proper way to check bearing clearances - set up valves springs etc.
All The Links Are Right Here. (http://marineassault.net/project%20links.htm)

hack job
07-05-2003, 07:01 PM
always do it ! it can save your ass! wink

sidewound
07-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Infomaniac, You ROCK
That was a SUPER COOL link you posted. Lot's of info. I learned somthing! Saved it in my fav's
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

dgie
07-05-2003, 09:02 PM
sounds good to me, I am convinced