View Full Version : red hot headers

sleekcraft76
10-13-2002, 02:14 PM
the headers on my 460 glow from the heads to the water injector only from 2000 rpm and up is this normal or is it running lean . if it is running lean will jetting up the carb fix this also how much should i go up in jet sizes.
thanks!!!

Froggystyle
10-13-2002, 03:19 PM
I would say that you are running extremely lean, and could go up several jet sizes without getting in the ball park. Probably your primary jets talking. Read your plugs at 2000. (Run it at 2000, then shut the engine off... pull the plug and read it)
Then, do the same at WOT to properly adjust your jets.
Wes

ultra tweaker
10-13-2002, 03:39 PM
I have to agree with froggy if the jets are to lean or you are not delivering enough fuel to the motor it will cause a lean condition that can be realy dangerous to your motor. you don't want to know how I know this! (blew up three engines before I figured it out) It is very important that you match the size of the fuel pump and line to the power output of your motor. 1/2 a pound of fuel per hourse power per hour. If you are in so. cal contact dave lange at fuel curves west in upland he is the master who helped me fix my problem.

superdave013
10-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Timming is off. I bet it needs advanced.

promod
10-13-2002, 05:22 PM
hey mike make sure the timing is dead on then run it and see what's its doing if still red fatten up on the fuel a little at the time when fixed then play with timing>
later
thanks
grant eek! eek!

XClutchboy725
10-16-2002, 10:57 AM
Good Point! Where is your timing at?

Tom Foolery
10-16-2002, 01:46 PM
sleekcraft76:
the headers on my 460 glow from the heads to the water injector only from 2000 rpm and up is this normal or is it running lean . if it is running lean will jetting up the carb fix this also how much should i go up in jet sizes.
thanks!!!Are you seeing them at night or in the daytime?
Its interesting that you all think that its a lean condition. I check the plugs fairly regularly on my boat and When I run at night my headers have a bit of a glow at the bottom end before the injectors, but the plugs don't read lean.

Tom Foolery
10-16-2002, 01:47 PM
BTW, That is the coolest Avatar I've ever seen Jeff.

superdave013
10-16-2002, 02:21 PM
Tom Foolery:
sleekcraft76:
thanks!!!Are you seeing them at night or in the daytime?
Its interesting that you all think that its a lean condition. I check the plugs fairly regularly on my boat and When I run at night my headers have a bit of a glow at the bottom end before the injectors, but the plugs don't read lean.I don't, I stand by the timming is backed off to far. And you don't need to be looking at the headers in the dark to see them glow red. Don't ask how I know. :rolleyes:

Tom Foolery
10-16-2002, 02:42 PM
I have my timing set a 34 Deg. I wouldn't think that I should have anymore advance for running 92/91 with octane boost and 10:1 compression.
I'm not the most ebajakayted about engines, but if I have some glow in the headers with the above conditions it seems better than risking detonation by advancing the timing more. Am I wrong?
[ October 16, 2002, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Tom Foolery ]

MikeF
10-16-2002, 02:52 PM
TF, I think they are talking about initial timing. If it is adj too late, then the burning process continues too far into the power stroke. If this occurs the flame continues into the header where the metal turns red. The combustion of the fuel is only supposed to occur in the combustion chamber. :D
Just read them again, The thread is about glowing above idle.....my bad. :cool:
[ October 16, 2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

Tom Foolery
10-16-2002, 03:03 PM
MikeF:
TF, They are talking about initial timing. If it is adj too late, then the burning process continues too far into the power stroke. If this occurs the flame continues into the header where the metal turns red. The combustion of the fuel is only supposed to occur in the combustion chamber. :D Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance here, but what the hell, If you don't ask you don't learn.
Would you check the inital timing with the engine off and the distributer rotor at the #1 cylinder firing position? If so how do you adjust that? Isn't that relationship set by the cam timing?

MikeF
10-16-2002, 03:11 PM
[/QUOTE]Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance here, but what the hell, If you don't ask you don't learn.
Would you check the inital timing with the engine off and the distributer rotor at the #1 cylinder firing position? If so how do you adjust that? Isn't that relationship set by the cam timing?[/QB][/QUOTE]
That is pretty easy.
Place the engine @ #1 tdc compression stroke and turn crank backwards to what you want your initial timing to be.
Install dist to have the rotor @ 1 oclock position.
Turn dist housing until reluctor lines up w/ pickup on module (MSD or HEI).
Should be set for initial timing right there (awfully close). :D
[ October 16, 2002, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

Tom Foolery
10-16-2002, 03:24 PM
MikeF:
That is pretty easy.
Place the engine @ #1 tdc compression stroke and turn crank backwards to what you want your initial timing to be.
Install dist to have the rotor @ 1 oclock position.
Turn dist housing until reluctor lines up w/ pickup on module (MSD or HEI).
Should be set for initial timing right there (awfully close). :D Ok, That is the way I installed my new dist. earlier this season. But If I have my headers glowing at the base does that still indicate a problem? Or did I just mess up the initial timing and should try again? It was first time I had changed out a dist.

MikeF
10-16-2002, 03:44 PM
Man, I opened up a can of worms wink .
There will still be some red there. Pretty much at all times off of idle you are loading the engine down and you will make more heat.
More than likely, If your plugs are a light tan you are OK. You can always fatten the carb up by changing the jets a little at a time to see what effect it has. It is easy/inexpensive to do and you will see what happens and learn. :)

Tom Foolery
10-16-2002, 03:46 PM
MikeF:
Man, I opened up a can of worms wink .
There will still be some red there. Pretty much at all times off of idle you are loading the engine down and you will make more heat.
More than likely, If your plugs are a light tan you are OK. You can always fatten the carb up by changing the jets a little at a time to see what effect it has. It is easy/inexpensive to do and you will see what happens and learn. :) Right on, thanks for the info! :)

XClutchboy725
10-16-2002, 05:28 PM
Hey Erik! thanks for the Avatar support! Everyone seems to dig it!
I think you're fine at 34 degrees total advance. That's nice and conservative for pump gas, but not too retarded to cause a lean burn condition. I keep mine at about 38 total and was having a little detonation trouble at CBBB. (mostly due to the high air temp). I backed out a few degrees by brail on the shore and was O.K. for the weekend. I'm thinkin' sleekcraft 76 is somewhere in the 10-15 total advance area. That would cause trouble... eek! eek! eek!

superdave013
10-16-2002, 06:42 PM
XClutchboy725:
I'm thinkin' sleekcraft 76 is somewhere in the 10-15 total advance area. That would cause trouble... eek! eek! eek! Ditto, Let's just say when mine glowed red (did I just admit that??) a real good twist fixed it right up!

hack job
10-16-2002, 07:03 PM
mines at 38 total ! and it fine 34 is on the consrevitive side i would guess! wink :D

Builder
10-16-2002, 07:53 PM
My Top Dead Center marker was way off on my 460 Ford.Make sure yours is accurate.If it is,You might start with 6 jet sizes in the primary and 4 in the secondaries.Then check your plugs.

Tom Foolery
10-17-2002, 06:34 AM
hack job:
mines at 38 total ! and it fine 34 is on the consrevitive side i would guess! wink :D I agree, but with a motor I can't afford to replace I'll run it on the conservative side for now. :D
[ October 17, 2002, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Tom Foolery ]

greg shoemaker
10-21-2002, 05:46 AM
If the 460 Ford you have is stock the cam is 8 degrees retarted for this engine to meet smog. This will cause a lean condition all thru the rpm range. Solution is to get an early model timing gear assembly that will enable you to advance the cam. You will always see a red glow at night but by advancing the cam you bee adding about 40 hp. Greg

Wet Dream
10-21-2002, 01:37 PM
You're taking about alot of heat coming out of the heads, and yes, they will get red. I've seen fuel injected/ computer controlled engines (on a jet) get the headers red at the bends. Take a perfectly tuned engine, run it at 2000 revs and touch the headers at the bend, see if its hot enough to make metal turn red. :D

HOSS
10-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Wet Dream, I see what you meen about torque! Just don`t push down unless there is a mat there or someone to catch you. Tile floors = hicky! If I weigh 210, is that 210 ft/lbs? Or would it be more because of foot to floor friction? Or is that the latter part of the equation meaning advertised horsepower?
Gotta love those bench racing fags!
[ October 21, 2002, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

Infomaniac
10-21-2002, 02:23 PM
Found this online while reading about cams.
Glowing exhaust pipes may be an indication of over scavenging by the exhaust. A shorter exhaust duration. Smaller headers, or even a restrictor plate at the header may help. The problem is often mixture burning in the exhaust rather than in the cylinder. Many people think a lean mixture causes it. Be sure to ascertain which problem you have as the lean mixture is a much more serious problem and can cause quick meltdown.

Wet Dream
10-22-2002, 06:22 PM
HOSS:
Wet Dream, I see what you meen about torque! Just don`t push down unless there is a mat there or someone to catch you. Tile floors = hicky! If I weigh 210, is that 210 ft/lbs? Or would it be more because of foot to floor friction? Or is that the latter part of the equation meaning advertised horsepower?
Gotta love those bench racing fags!LMAO