PDA

View Full Version : My boat was vandalized or sabotaged by someone this summer

mud duck
09-05-2003, 10:35 AM
Found out this week that my engine troubles on my "new to me" 1998 Ultra was due to water in the port side gas tank. It ran great last October when I bought it, it ran great in May, June and July, but then it had troubles. Well, long story short, my mechanic found gallons of water in one gas tank. He showed me in a clear zip lock bag a sample of the fuel mixture and it was mostly water. I've been picking my brain to figure out when it last ran well, and who was around at the time. I guess you learn a bit more about people as time goes on. It could have been even worse, so I guess the security has to be strengthened around it from now on and I may look into some type of alarm system. What a drag! cry

Jetdriver
09-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Hope you use a fuel/water seperator from now on! Believe it or not I had the same problem. I had a gallon of water in one tank. It happened to be the seal on my fuel cap that was the culprit. That and I didnt fill the tanks to the top when I parked it so condinsation had a part in it as well. Just somethings to think about
[ September 05, 2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Jetdriver ]

superdave013
09-05-2003, 10:54 AM
Could the water have gotten in through the vent?

mud duck
09-05-2003, 11:08 AM
I doubt it could be the vent. He checked the hull, the vents, the lines, and the caps and could not find any way it could have naturally gotten in there. I asked about gas station gas, and he did not think any gas station would sell gas that bad (the cars would not be able to drive away from the pumps). Any I have not used any dock side gas pumps this year, I guess they can be suspicious sometimes.
If you can give me an answer how it happened, great! But I am worried it was intentional.

79Hawaiian
09-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Once I was at the dock at Lake San Antonio, saw these people who had just launched a trihull. They had it tied up to the dock and were trying to get it started. It would turn over but would not fire. They guy didn't know beans from frogs about boats or engines. He was bitching because he had just picked it up last week from his mechanic and had spent over $1000 on repairs and tune-up.
I decided to be a nice guy and see if I could help him out. Jumped in the boat and opened the hatch. First thing I saw were 3 inch lengths of spark plug wire hanging from the cap. Someone had cut all 4 plug wires. I showed it to him, poor sap didn't even know that was wrong. I then heard something that sounded like rushing water.
I told him to turn on the bildge (he didn't know what that was either) but it was taking water faster that it was pumping. I told him he better get it on the trailer ASAP. Apparently he had fried the clutch on his jeep upon launching and had no way to pull it out.
Someone else pulled the guy out before it sank. Come to find out someone took a knife to the boot around the OMC outdrive.
Now that will ruin your whole day.

superdave013
09-05-2003, 11:20 AM
mud duck:
I doubt it could be the vent. He checked the hull, the vents, the lines, and the caps and could not find any way it could have naturally gotten in there. I asked about gas station gas, and he did not think any gas station would sell gas that bad (the cars would not be able to drive away from the pumps). Any I have not used any dock side gas pumps this year, I guess they can be suspicious sometimes.
If you can give me an answer how it happened, great! But I am worried it was intentional. Where are your vents located? Are they in the caps?

comin' unscrewed
09-05-2003, 11:28 AM
79Hawaiian:
Once I was at the dock at Lake San Antonio, saw these people who had just launched a trihull. They had it tied up to the dock and were trying to get it started. It would turn over but would not fire. They guy didn't know beans from frogs about boats or engines. He was bitching because he had just picked it up last week from his mechanic and had spent over $1000 on repairs and tune-up.
I decided to be a nice guy and see if I could help him out. Jumped in the boat and opened the hatch. First thing I saw were 3 inch lengths of spark plug wire hanging from the cap. Someone had cut all 4 plug wires. I showed it to him, poor sap didn't even know that was wrong. I then heard something that sounded like rushing water.
I told him to turn on the bildge (he didn't know what that was either) but it was taking water faster that it was pumping. I told him he better get it on the trailer ASAP. Apparently he had fried the clutch on his jeep upon launching and had no way to pull it out.
Someone else pulled the guy out before it sank. Come to find out someone took a knife to the boot around the OMC outdrive.
Now that will ruin your whole day. Scary! I'd almost rather deal with lake lice than guys like that.
mud duck: Any chance you've got kids? They've been know to play gas station.

Blown 472
09-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Thats it, I am getting my pitch fork and torch, lets get em. :D

HOOTER SLED-
09-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Maybe some of your homies pee'd in it because they didn't want to go in the water. :D

Tee
09-05-2003, 11:58 AM
Mud Duck,
Had a similar thing happen about 4 years ago in my boat. One tank somehow ended up with about 3 gallons of water in it. I thought for sure someone had vandalized me.
Turns out the 70gal transfer tank I had in the back of my truck had a leak in the top I wasn't aware of and rain water had puddled and drained into it. Pump sucks from the bottom so the first tank in the boat I filled got a slug of water.
Don't know your fueling routine but it could be something other than vandalism. Check everything in your routine.

572Daytona
09-05-2003, 12:54 PM
I had a similar problem on my Tahiti and the problem was due to a bad gasket where the fuel fill mounts to the hull, sitting on the trailer with the front slightly raised, the water would run down the side of the boat, get under the fuel fill and into the tank.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-05-2003, 03:09 PM
This is funny because all summer long my motor has been running like shit and I couldnt understand why. I spent 6 hours on the lake to find out that I had encountered alot of water in the tanks. I asked my friend and he told me I had to open the pep cock untill all of the water was gone and I need to do it frequently. I never knew that and it has been kicking my ass all summer long. So to sum it up, I feel ya pain brotha wink

Havasu Hangin'
09-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Water? Hmmmm....
I would think that if someone was going to take the trouble to sabotage a boat...they would put something more harmful than water in the tanks.

Kindsvater Flat
09-05-2003, 05:24 PM
I have have had water in my gas before. Its has been from people climbing in the boat and unlatching the gas cap. By the time you catch it, its to late.

mud duck
09-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks for all the input people. I picked up my boat after work this evening and briefly tried going over natural possibilities with my mechanic and he still thought it was intentional. I don't want to point fingers, but I am suspicious of some individuals now. My mechanic still had the zip lock bag hanging in his shop to show other customers. On a good note, I had him install a set of those hydraulic Dana engine hatch hinges, and he through in the remote for them. So now my little toy opens up with a remote, so cool. Currently my gas caps are green anodized aluminum caps that match the boat. Can I get something similar with a key lock in it? Tomorrow we are hitting the river; to many people, to much gear, to much food, and hopefully one very smooth running engine.
Wish me luck. :D

dgie
09-05-2003, 08:39 PM
you need to find something to guard your boat. I use fire ants, there all over the place in the field where I park the boat. They are easy to train, the only problem they attack their owner. Damn fire ants :mad:

DUCKY
09-05-2003, 09:43 PM
You probably bought water. It happens more often than people think. I have bought water from gas stations before. Think about it... Where are the big caps where they fill the tanks from? On the ground, right? I bought a load of av-water eek! from a station here in Havasu. Never knew it thanks to my water separator. I went to siphon some gas out of the boat for my truck one poor day, and got a mouth full of water. Then one time, I filled up my truck at a station, and the thing wouldn't idle for two days. If you notice, all production marine engines have water separators right from the factory, and for good reason. Even the gas pumps themselves have water separators on them, but if they get full, it goes right in your tank for nearly $2 a gallon :mad: