PDA

View Full Version : discolored headers

dgie
08-17-2003, 09:41 PM
I ran my boat about a week ago and after cruising across the lake I realized there was no water comming out of my OT Basset Headers. When I pulled the boat out on the trailer, I noticed that the headers were not the shiney chrome any more, they were more of a tarnished chrome. They got pretty hot, is there a way of removing this tarnish or am I stuck with it?

Moneypitt
08-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the club...... I read on here the other day about some stuff called "the bartenders friend".. I've never used it, but they said it helped. Anybody else know of this stuff???or something better... Moneypitt

hack job
08-18-2003, 07:28 AM
go to a place that sells harley parts and they will recommend some thing i think it calle blue ?????
any how that will help that out quit a bit and lots of elbow grease!!! wink

Moneypitt
08-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Djie, a question I should've asked before......WWHHYY was there no water comming out of your headers??????? Valve off?? plumbed wrong?? OR was the motor also deprived of water?? OOPS.... BTW your decision about the trans/overdrive idea was correct.. Enjoy the jet, if you want speed, (lots) go with a different design, ie flat, hydro, or v drive of your choice where the "drive" is not the governing factor for speed. Not to say that SOME jets aren't very fast, but $ for $ prop boat speed cost less, in MY opinion.......Moneypitt

dgie
08-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Hack Job the stuff is called "Blue Job". I picked some up from the local Harley dealer, thanks. Moneypitt I did not clamp the line good enough going to the Basset "T" valve before the headers and the pressure built up and blew it off, or it just fell apart with me hitting waves. I will give this stuff a try. If it fixes it I will be happy. I assume it works pretty good. I do not remember seeing any harleys out there with bluing on the pipes, usually shinny chrome.

FastRat1
08-18-2003, 01:32 PM
there is a product called MAAS polishing creme that works alot better than "Blue Job" and alot less $$ also..u can get it at Ace Hardware..also as Moneypitt says.."Bartenders Keeper" which u can get at Wal-Mart..works great..just my 2 cents
Ron

FastRat1
08-18-2003, 01:32 PM
there is a product called MAAS polishing creme that works alot better than "Blue Job" and alot less $$ also..u can get it at Ace Hardware..also as Moneypitt says.."Bartenders Keeper" which u can get at Wal-Mart..works great..just my 2 cents
Ron
p.s. these products work on all medals

FastRat1
08-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Moneypitt...try the MAAS polishing creme..alot easier than BK and it works great..i just did an alum scoop and it looks like a mirror
Ron

Moneypitt
08-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Just to set this straight, I don't worry about blued headers. They're a fact of life.. I run some exhaust dry.. I Have never attempted to clean the bluing off, besides, Bassett and rewarder both guarantee there headers not to change color unless you start the motor......Moneypitt