PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mentor!

bigjerk
03-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Just bought a boat hull off of this old man. It has a pump and a sterring wheel. On a rusted tandum trailer. It's sunburned as all get out. Have $10,000 saved for a rainy day. The forecast is'nt getting any dryer. Oh I'm also motor/boat illiterate. Any advise or help will be most appreciated.
BJ :confused:

Tom Brown
03-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Post some pictures. Start reading the Just Jets forum. Most importantly, learn to enjoy anal sex.
Welcome to ***boat, BJ. :cool:
:D

burtandnancy
03-10-2006, 01:23 PM
You need to give us more info. Brand name, size, motor (running?) does it have upholstery, accessories? You've put out a lot of money, it should be in pretty fair shape...

RUSSO
03-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Sell It And Buy A Boat Thats Done..

bigjerk
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
You need to give us more info. Brand name, size, motor (running?) does it have upholstery, accessories? You've put out a lot of money, it should be in pretty fair shape...
A Hull I don't now what kind. With a pump and steering wheel. Thats it! I want to spend $10,000.

bigjerk
03-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Sell It And Buy A Boat Thats Done..
:) Would defeat the purpose of building one my self.

Tom Brown
03-10-2006, 01:37 PM
:) Would defeat the purpose of building one my self.
Perhaps but it would save you a ton of cash.

MAINEVENT
03-10-2006, 01:39 PM
A Hull I don't now what kind. With a pump and steering wheel. Thats it! I want to spend $10,000.
Sell it and i will sell you my boat for 8k just cause i like you here it is all done for you
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/MAINEVENTALEX/ForSale005.jpg

bigjerk
03-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Perhaps but it would save you a ton of cash.
True but I get one that is water ready and then I have to paint it, tweak the motor, personalize it. Know what I mean. Don't want to cruise around in a boat that everyone is going to say "hey isn't that so and so's boat".

bigjerk
03-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Sell it and i will sell you my boat for 8k just cause i like you here it is all done for you
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/MAINEVENTALEX/ForSale005.jpg
nice and all but no thanks. what kind of a hull is that. it looks like mine

MAINEVENT
03-10-2006, 01:44 PM
nice and all but no thanks. what kind of a hull is that. it looks like mine
79 Challenger Good luck...

superdave013
03-10-2006, 01:45 PM
True but I get one that is water ready and then I have to paint it, tweak the motor, personalize it. Know what I mean. Don't want to cruise around in a boat that everyone is going to say "hey isn't that so and so's boat".
then you better save another 10K. you'll find out just like the rest of us that dumped 3x the money then the boat's worth. Mainevent's rig is a smokin deal. That paint job is at least half your budget right there.

Tom Brown
03-10-2006, 01:46 PM
then you better save another 10K. you'll find out just like the rest of us that dumped 3x the money then the boat's worth.
Not me. I'm probably closer to 5x. :D

MAINEVENT
03-10-2006, 01:48 PM
then you better save another 10K. you'll find out just like the rest of us that dumped 3x the money then the boat's worth. Mainevent's rig is a smokin deal. That paint job is at least half your budget right there.
I was gonna say the same thing i bought this boat already done and have well over 15 in it i cant imagine a bare hull i would say for my taste i would be thinking more around the 25k sittin around oh and plus trailer repair... I need to tart pushin the sale of this rig i think now will be a good time to hit the trader... :idea:

MAINEVENT
03-10-2006, 01:49 PM
I'll tell you what i will throw in my screen name with the boat LOL ;)

Tom Brown
03-10-2006, 01:50 PM
lmao! :D :D :D

bigjerk
03-10-2006, 01:53 PM
LOL I might need it after reading through this web site for the past five weeks. Some people on here are pretty stuck on themselves.

bigjerk
03-10-2006, 01:55 PM
I was gonna say the same thing i bought this boat already done and have well over 15 in it i cant imagine a bare hull i would say for my taste i would be thinking more around the 25k sittin around oh and plus trailer repair... I need to tart pushin the sale of this rig i think now will be a good time to hit the trader... :idea:
REALLY!! WOW thought I could have a sweet screamer for $10,000. Guess I need to rethink my options.

superdave013
03-10-2006, 01:59 PM
doing up old boats is fun to do. and I understand your reasons. pretty much the same as mine. Just be sure you know that once you are done that money is spent and you won't get much of it back when you sell it.
10K is hard to get for an 18' jetboat this days unless it's a good race hull.
now with that said I'm sure I'm at the 5x mark too with more to spend.
Have fun and post some photos on the project.

Chubby4Life
03-10-2006, 02:00 PM
B.J. You may want to consider this: Gel & Paint= 5k. Interior= 1-3k. Thats about 60-70% of your budget. then you have to consider other crap that adds up quick, like brackets, controls, hardware and any bling items. Cruise around the Dana, Rex or Eddie marine websites and you'll see exactly what your in for. Hope this helps,
C4L

bigjerk
03-10-2006, 02:08 PM
B.J. You may want to consider this: Gel & Paint= 5k. Interior= 1-3k. Thats about 60-70% of your budget. then you have to consider other crap that adds up quick, like brackets, controls, hardware and any bling items. Cruise around the Dana, Rex or Eddie marine websites and you'll see exactly what your in for. Hope this helps,
C4L
Thank you. Helpfull info from all. Yes I will cruise those sites. Yes I will post before, during, and afters if that is the way im going to go. That is as soon as I can find my flippin camera.

THE WIDGE
03-10-2006, 02:08 PM
REALLY!! WOW thought I could have a sweet screamer for $10,000. Guess I need to rethink my options.
Hey Bigjerk, I don't think anyones stuck on themself. From what I'm reading is true. You will spend at least 15k-20k to have things done right. You will get nickled and dimed to death, but with benjimans instead.
You can find a nice jet that someone spent thousands for your 10k.
But if you insist, hook up an old Briggs and Straton motor on your boat for $100, and you can have a sweet screemer!

MAINEVENT
03-10-2006, 02:10 PM
I hate to breakit to you but i dont think so unless you do most of the work I just finished paying about 7k to have my motor rebuilt and i had all my fuel delivery etc... and you thinking paint or gel a few more G's glass reapir, trailer repair and paint tires, upholstery etc... and not to mention maybe a pump rebuild since it already torn apart... just my .02 not trying to sell you my boat but being honest
BTW Buy my boat ;) :rollside:

bigjerk
03-10-2006, 02:15 PM
From what I'm reading is true. You will spend at least 15k-20k to have things done right. You will get nickled and dimed to death, but with benjimans instead.
You can find a nice jet that someone spent thousands for your 10k.
But if you insist, hook up an old Briggs and Straton motor on your boat for $100, and you can have a sweet screemer!
Hey Bigjerk, I don't think anyones stuck on themself. I meant as a whole, not just this posting. There are a lot of pompus asses on here that won't help or give advise from what i've been reading. Maybe i'm wrong and looking at it through the wrong colored glasses. I will step back and try to be more open minded.

MAINEVENT
03-10-2006, 02:17 PM
doing up old boats is fun to do. and I understand your reasons. pretty much the same as mine. Just be sure you know that once you are done that money is spent and you won't get much of it back when you sell it.
10K is hard to get for an 18' jetboat this days unless it's a good race hull.
now with that said I'm sure I'm at the 5x mark too with more to spend.
Have fun and post some photos on the project.
Very True i have about easy 25k in mine and 8k is my bottom line sell price and i have only owned it for alittle over 3 years... They are fun to build though if you can do most the work yourself... Good luck

Tom Brown
03-10-2006, 02:18 PM
There are a lot of pompus asses on here that won't help or give advise from what i've been reading.
This is absolutely true but there are also a lot of pompus asses here that would give you the shirt off their back. Some would even swing by your place to help or advise on your project for the cost of a beer or two.
I consider many of these pompus assholes to be friends. :cool:

Sigus
03-10-2006, 02:21 PM
A few years back I decided to buy a boat. Kind of a fixer upper. So I locate one that was in pretty good shape. After running it for a season I decided it needed a little freshing up. New carpet, interior, freshen up the motor and pump. I originally paid 7k for the boat. By the time I was done I had receipts that added up to 12k. 19k total investment.
Ran the boat another season and sold it for 8,500. Moral of the story is make sure you really like the style boat you are getting into and be willing to take advice from others who have been down the road you are about to travel.
And the next boat after that one, well lets not go there it was even worse.

wright27
03-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey Bigjerk, I don't think anyones stuck on themself. I meant as a whole, not just this posting. There are a lot of pompus asses on here that won't help or give advise from what i've been reading. Maybe i'm wrong and looking at it through the wrong colored glasses. I will step back and try to be more open minded.
I am building a 78 challenger. I bought a boat with good gel so that put me one step ahead of you. Other than gel (which did get some work and a color sand) The entire boat was empty. I currently have 6k into it and I already had the motor for this boat (one more expense you will have that I did not). As far as help from people in here. They are very willing to help. I had many questions that I would start a thread and in no time get answers and pics. The guys in just jets helped me out a bunch.

Froggystyle
03-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Not to jump on the bandwagon here, but I will suggest another path perhaps...
Get on the water. Start with that. Spend 5-8K on a runner, and build your dream boat with no stress of finishing up. You can have fun, pick up ideas at the lake instead of online and at the end of the day likely sell the boat you have been cruising for about what you have into it and have your dream boat in the garage all nice and finished.
Nothing is worse than seeing seasons go by while you work a project. Trust me, I know all about watching seasons go by. The folks advising you on here have as well, and that is why we so quickly default to "find a boat that works" and go from there.
Call me if you have any questions. If you check out the HIN number on the back of the boat, I can probably get you the manufacturer and year for you to work with. Who knows, you could have some rare gem that will reward you with resale afterwards.
Good Luck!
Wes
(619) 823-5643