PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise

Taylorman
03-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Today while out testing a new impeller, my engine made a popping noise a few time. When coming off idle, it popped a couple times then quite. It only did it when coming off idle and not every time. This has never happened before. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

DUCKY
03-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Only on deceleration? Probably on the rich side already, and closing the throttle makes it worse, causing it to load up, then release(pop, pop). Just my $0.02

Taylorman
03-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Not on deceleration. It only happens when I start to give it gas from idle.

MikeF
03-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Make sure there is a space between all the spark plug wires. If they are too close they have the possibility of crossfiring. smile_sp

cyclone
03-09-2003, 10:09 PM
check the distributor hold down to see if its tight. My boat did the same thing and it was because the distributor was moving.

Jet Hydro
03-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a lean pop to me. You might look at your carb and make sure that your pump is working. The best way to check it is to "open it up slow and make sure it pumps gas the hole time". (Do this test without it running) If it only pumps in spurts then its bad and needs to be replaced. It should pump a nice steady stream the whole time.

Blown 472
03-10-2003, 05:38 AM
Try lengthing your accell pump shot screw, if it is not adjusted right you will open the throttle and it will not see any fuel to cover up this hole you have made by opening the throttle, so unscrew the pump shot screw a little bit and it might help.