PDA

View Full Version : alternator question

J-P-JETTER
06-08-2002, 03:33 PM
I need to buy a new alternator. Do I have to buy a Marine rated alt? I have an 18' kachina jet boat with ott bassetts. No engine cover.

rivercrazy
06-08-2002, 04:58 PM
I would do the Marine Rated Alternator. A few reasons include less chance for spark induced explosion and the fact that your insurance company might not pay in the event of a fire. My .02 cents...

Jetmugg
06-08-2002, 07:15 PM
Why not have your existing alternator rebuilt by a starter/alternator shop? Much cheaper, and you will maintain the explosion proof features of a marine alt.
Steve

HBjet
06-08-2002, 08:00 PM
I have an truck alt and have no problems. I understand you guys want to be safe with the marine one, but if you have anything such as gas floating around in the bilge area which could catch fire if there was a spark, wouldn't that be more of an unsafe hazard then an alt that could ignite it? Personally, I would be more concerned about gas or whatever might explode due to the spark verses what might spark. Kinda like flame arrestors. yeah, they are there to catch flames shooting out the carbs, but there shouldn't be flames shooting out your carbs in the first place, right?
HBjet

J-P-JETTER
06-09-2002, 05:17 AM
Thanks guys for all your advice. I'll Have mine rebiult here in Phoenix.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Go to autozone and buy a lifetime warranty one for $49.99 and forget about it. If it goes out then you can swap it out at any store. Also havasu has a autozone which makes it even more convienent. just my .02