PDA

View Full Version : Headers

Snorider
05-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Everyone seems to be agreeing that bassett headers are the way to go for jetboats... Well, i was reading their site and it says the headers are dry when below 3000rpm. My question is: Anyone have an idea how loud they are?
In PA, the maximum noise level is 100dB, from a point BEHIND the boat. Meaning, if the headers are dry, i will probably be over the limit. Anyone have a problem with this, and if so, what is a good compromise? Mufflers, or maybe a different brand of headers that are always wet?
I would probably need BBC headers - no matter what i do. I would either keep my 460 Ford, but use the heads with a BBC exhaust pattern, or switch to a 502ci BBC, havent decided yet.
Any comments would be nice.

HBjet
05-19-2003, 05:52 PM
Get a set of mufflers and you will be fine. I like the sound of the headers without mufflers, and I believe they go dry under 2000rpm, not 3000. If it was 3000, there would be a lot of newer blue headers around.
HBjet

Wet Dream
05-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Where in PA are you Sno?

Snorider
05-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Northeast - Lake Wallenpaupack.

77charger
05-19-2003, 06:07 PM
there actually recomended dry under 2000 like hb jet said.The instructions also indicate 1800-2000 rpm and over run water.When i had my jet this is how they were set up only blued the first 6 inches as the instructions said.Water will help quiet the noise down some but mufflers are the only way to really quiet the boat down.

Wet Dream
05-19-2003, 06:41 PM
I'm west central. Anyhow, I have never been harrassed about my OT headers. I run mine dry for the most part, and the boat cops seem to ask more about the boat than anything else.

Mohavekid
05-19-2003, 07:30 PM
Keep the water out until at least 2000 RPM. With a cam that has a lot of overlap the motor will draw water back into the exhaust valves at low RPM. The Bassett T-valve has a spring in it which you can change out to adjust the RPM that it opens.
Even with mufflers, it's gonna be loud. But that's part of the appeal of a jet with pipes.

Tahiti Tiger Mark
05-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Cool, I was just about to ask a similar question so I will hop on the thread. I have a Tahiti Tiger 18' with an Olds455 itchin to breathe. What is better and why? Oh, and sound is not an issue where I live...yet :mad: Rewarders or Bassetts. Thanks in advance!
Advice: Keep legislature off our boats and lakes, vote Republican!

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-20-2003, 04:15 AM
I just installed some bassett twisties yesterday and all I can say is damn!!!! they are very loud. much louder than the logs and risers. I like it though. they have a 4" collector with 2 1/4" primaries. It sounds like a freakin prostock car, seriously. I would go with the bassett twisties. they look cool....
Omega

Tom Foolery
05-20-2003, 07:49 AM
I just replaced my headers & went with a set of Rewarders. (I had Bassetts before) I would say they are equal to Bassett. I priced them both and there is no real savings one way or the other. For me it came down to who had them in stock. The guy over at rewarder was really nice and had them delivered to my house the next day.
[ May 20, 2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Tom Foolery ]

stonehedge
05-20-2003, 11:02 AM
Had both, maybe a few more rewarders than bassetts. But I have had real good service with rewarder. Got some new twisties at the end of last season, had trouble getting one of the mufflers installed, sent it back, they installed it and mailed it out the same day they received it! No charge, no shipping charge and even gave me new gaskets. Very cool.

Snorider
05-20-2003, 01:44 PM
I think i forgot to mention, i really dont want over-the-top headers, thru-transom. Otherwise, i would need to seal up the transom holes that are already there, and would need to remove the entire engine cover;
I will prolly go for the bassetts, but i figure it will be a nice winter project - definately dont wanna start disassembling the motor until after the summer is gone! (Unless i blow something up that is)

Tom Foolery
05-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Snorider:
I think i forgot to mention, i really dont want over-the-top headers, thru-transom. Otherwise, i would need to seal up the transom holes that are already there, and would need to remove the entire engine cover;
I will prolly go for the bassetts, but i figure it will be a nice winter project - definately dont wanna start disassembling the motor until after the summer is gone! (Unless i blow something up that is) If you are going to keep your engine cover then I think water injected thru-transom bassetts or rewarders are out. You will need to run water jacketed headers instead.

DUCKY
05-20-2003, 09:30 PM
If you have an engine hatch, forget about the header idea. They will melt or burn anything within 6in of them!

Snorider
05-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Well that would definately be a bad thing...
Any suggestions on a good set of water injected manifolds then? Was looking on the stainless and gil sites, but nothing for BBF...

Tom Foolery
05-21-2003, 12:52 PM
I think this is what you are looking for.
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/Pictures/lmh_130.jpg
its a water jacketed header by Lighting. You can run these with an engine cover, but they are more expensive than your standard water injected headers.