PDA

View Full Version : pulling engine again

77cobra jet
08-30-2003, 08:01 PM
well i finally got the engine in the boat and thought i had everything set to go. i had pulled the engine and replaced all the gaskets to reseal it and replaced the head gead gaskets and threw the turkey tray away. resealed the intake grate to the hull so no leaks there and was set to go. got it to the lake and she cranked excelently. was running around 35- 40 lbs oil pressure and we were off :D . about 2-3miles down the lake we started losing rpms and she died. she cranked back up and i checked it over couldnt find an identifyable problem. tried to crank it back and noticed smoke coming from the valve cover filter. pulled the pcv valve and more smoke. tried to crank it up to get it back to the dock and now it wont even turn over. :mad: could this be because of a stacked bearing on the bottom end? :confused: could this have been caused by the turkey tray putting water in the oil? just looking for some suggestions as to why this happened. oh wait i know why; i wanted to enjoy labor day!! oh well i guess this 455 olds didnt want to run this weekend. i guess i should go ahead and go through it all the way. damn i didnt want to pull a dgie!!! :D :D
thanks for any info john
1977 cobra jet 455 olds,390 hp(when it runs) berk 12jc(wore out)(looking for someone in this area that rebuilds pumps, memphis tn.)

Duane HTP
08-31-2003, 06:56 AM
Make sure that you have plenty of end play between your pump shaft bottom out, and your drive line yoke. That's exactly what can happen if the jet is pushing against the thrust bearing in the engine.

AZKC
08-31-2003, 09:54 AM
I've went thru 2 motors so far this year and usually taking off the oil filter and cutting it in half will tell you alot. Look for metal and junk if ya see any its probably a bearing or crankshaft problem.
KC

77cobra jet
08-31-2003, 11:07 AM
thanks for the post guys. i have plenty of room between the driveline as far as i can tell duane. when i pulled the dipstick there was a very pretty metalic flake look to the oil. like a real nice clear coat with silver metalic to it! :confused: now to figure out where it came from.

dgie
08-31-2003, 06:42 PM
sounds like you have a little dgie' ing to do in the near future. eek!
[ August 31, 2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: dgie ]

dgie
08-31-2003, 07:57 PM
welcome to my world

Taylorman
09-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Did you hear a knocking sound in the engine? If you see metal flake in the oil, you probably got a bearing out.

H2OT PURSUIT
09-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Why is it that I SEE dgie but I always think
Doogie?

dgie
09-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Hmm. Can't help you there

sidewound
09-05-2003, 04:41 PM
You mean like "Howser?"