PDA

View Full Version : Whats with a delta pad?

BrendellaJet
09-02-2003, 01:25 PM
I've been talking to the local Jet guru, and he said that my delta pad is going to slow me down. I just wanted to get everyone elses opinion before I started filling it. What do you all think? Should I keep it or get rid of it? The reading I have done suggests that the pad hurts the ride a little, seems like filling that void will help me out in top speed and in ride quality?Top speed is my major concern. Here is a pic
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212100_0099-med.JPG
[ September 02, 2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: BrendellaJet ]

1Bahnerjet
09-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Are you talkin' about that Bubble right before the intake? My Bahner has one, I aways thought that would distrupt the flow of water into the intake?
-------
Thats BANNER with an H

BrendellaJet
09-02-2003, 02:51 PM
sort of, the bubble is what I am going to put in place of the delta pad. The delta pad is the flat triangular section infront of the intake, you can see the big end in the pic. I haven't talked with Jack a lot about this, but he said that the mild hump is better for loading the pump. He said it "guides" the water in...?

BrendellaJet
09-02-2003, 08:40 PM
anyone?

MikeF
09-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Turn the fauset on in the kitchen.
Get a butterknife and a teaspoon.
Place the knife straight down the water line.....watch how the water sheers straight of the end of the knife. (same as the deltapad)
Place the spoon in the same position as the knife. Look at how the water follows the curve. Same as the water going into the intake idea !
That is kinda also why the insert type pumps do not work as well as the regular type intake.

pops1
09-03-2003, 01:26 PM
BrendellaJet:
I've been talking to the local Jet guru, and he said that my delta pad is going to slow me down. I just wanted to get everyone elses opinion before I started filling it. What do you all think? Should I keep it or get rid of it? The reading I have done suggests that the pad hurts the ride a little, seems like filling that void will help me out in top speed and in ride quality?Top speed is my major concern. Here is a pic
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212100_0099-med.JPG DELTA PAD & FLATS ARE GREAT TO ASSIST PROPS ON WATER SET UP. IT GOT EXPANDED WHEN INSERT DRIVES CAME ABOUT AS THE BOAT MFG'S WERE TO LAZY TO SET INSERTS IN RIGHT. SOME GOT EVEN WORSE THEN THAT BEING 3/4" UP & IN FROM THE KEEL LINE. IF I CAN SAY IT SIMPLE WITHOUT THE TECH B.S.-
FLAT SURFACE LAYS WATER DOWN (WANTS TO SKIM THE WATER). FLAT -SLAPS
RADIUS KEEL IS PUSHING ON THE WATER AS IT WANTS TO CLIMB UP & OUT. A BETTER RIDE.
WATER COMMING OFF SIMI-ROUNDED BOTTOM WILL RUSH TO FILL THE VOID(INTAKE), LOADS MUCH HARDER THEN THE FLAT WATER FROM A DELTA PAD.
IF YOU READ HOT BOAT JET TECH-YOU ALWAYS READ WHERE GREG IS TELLING THE GUY IT WILL TAKE A LOT MORE SHOE TO LOAD THE PUMP WITH A DELTA OR FLAT.
POPs

BrendellaJet
09-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks you two, great explanations! You guys rock.

Jim B.
09-07-2003, 08:43 AM
BrendellaJet:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/212100_0099-med.JPG Hey BrendellaJet, here's my take on this subject. I have an 18' eliminator bubbledeck jet that originally had a large delta pad. I had Roger at Rogers Custom Boats blueprint the bottom for me and one of the things he did was put a radius in the bottom of the boat. Keep in mind that the most critical area is that area directly in front of the intake of the pump. As I was told by Roger as well as others, a radiused bottom loads the pump harder and more efficiently as pops1 has stated. Also it generates more lift which allows the boat to ride higher out of the water which equals less drag.