PDA

View Full Version : Winter Project Done...cracked the hull first day out....

Reds75Makai
05-30-2003, 01:35 AM
Well I finally finished my '75 Makai 21' jet. I built a brand new 454 for it with all the goodies a first timer to the jet boat scene could want. Spared no expense on anything and took my time to make sure everything was perfect. So after breakin the motor in Monday mornin, took her up to Beryessa for a little test ride. All was good with no problems, until I opened it up some. At half throttle she GPS'd at 72mph (not bad) for a first timer! Anyways I hit a couple of wakes and landed pretty hard comin down, I looked back and saw I was taken on water pretty bad, not good!! So I turned it around and flew back to the docks like a rocket ship. I came to the no wake zone and I panicked a little too much when i saw how much water I had taken on. No time to slow for the no wake zone. Ticket would have been cheaper than letting her sink the first day out. So now I get to spend the next few weeks reglassing the hull. Damn it was fun while it lasted.
Here's some pics for ya guys...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/13333.jpg
1975 Makai 21' Berkley Pump with an A impellar, does need a place diverter though!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/13332.jpg
454 BBC with all new everything
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/13334.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/13335.jpg
Motor installed
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/13336.jpg
almost done
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/13339.jpg
Finally done
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/133310.jpg
last pic taken before crackin the hull
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/133312.jpg
Well you guys let me know what you think!!

wsuwrhr
05-30-2003, 04:00 AM
I think you need to lose the car pan before you cook the oil/motor. Cool looking boat.
Just my .02
Brian

Jungle Boy
05-30-2003, 04:18 AM
Shitty deal for you. Hope you can get her all fixed up and back in the water soon. Looks good. But like Brian says, the oil pan should be bigger and designed for a boat, or that may be the next problem.

MikeF
05-30-2003, 05:22 AM
That style hull looks good! A crack is where the water is getting into the boat (not the seal between the pump and the hull)?
If you do get a jet boat oil pan you "do not" need to fill it to the quart size the pan will hold. I have a 14q pan yet only use 8+filter (9 quarts). Place it on the ground at the angle that it sits in the boat (level hull) and fill (water in quart bottle) until you are happy w/ the level. When the boat is in the water all the oil is toward the back of the pan and now in the crank (aerating the oil). Kinda want to keep that to a minimum.
Hope the hull can be fixed w/ little work.

Sleek-Jet
05-30-2003, 06:36 AM
What I like most is the big ass hammer in the back of the boat
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/13335.jpg
:D :D

JetBoatRich
05-30-2003, 07:25 AM
You need those hammers for minor adjustments :D
To bad about the hull, :( hopefully you can get it repaired quickly and back on the water.

Hallett19
05-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Are you reglassing the bottom ? I had the same problem, a 4 ft crack on the drivers side, almost sank my boat, it happened on a trip up to sandbar, not a short trip from the dock at site 6!!! That is almost a 7 min boat ride wide open. Its an aweful feeling watching your pride and joy sink :mad: But its a pretty easy fix. I had Havasu Barney do mine, came out awesome ! The glass he used can barely be drilled through, I feel very comfortable when I hit some hard wakes now.

Taylor LP
05-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your hull damage, hope you can get it fixed and back out soon.
Now an off topic question.
Does everyone in Cali have their washer & dryer in the garage?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-30-2003, 11:54 AM
I feel your pain bro! I have a 12 inch hail line crack in my hull as well. You need to glass it from the inside(Make sure you grind all the paint away from it,then grind a "v" in the crack). How big is the crack? You might wanna ask barney about repairs.

1Bahnerjet
05-30-2003, 12:02 PM
----------------------------------
You can keep them somewhere else? :confused:
Thats BANNER with an H

hboldno7
05-30-2003, 12:03 PM
1Bahnerjet:
Thats BANNER with an H yup

Danhercules
05-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Mine was in the garage. I built two walls to inclose it. Its a laundry room now. Wife did not like all the garage dirt and grime gettin on the clean cloths. Works great.

Hallett19
05-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Washer/dryer in the basement

ROZ
05-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Hallett19:
Washer/dryer in the basement What's a basement? wink

21rayson
05-30-2003, 04:09 PM
it will be reglassed right. if i get over there. been workin on my project. dave if you read this i'll be over saturday hopfully you got the floor cut out. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/155bottom_of_boat-med.JPG

Reds75Makai
05-31-2003, 02:00 AM
Thanks guys for opening my eyes about the oil pan. I'll just tac some baffles in that one...should be all right with those in. Besides I just don't see the point of paying 300 bucks for a marine pan when I can make that one work just like a marine pan... :cool:
JR I really appreciate you helping me on this unfortunate project :( ...I'm sure it's gonna be good learning experience for me. Plus it will give me a chance to work out all the other little bugs that I noticed for the short time that I had it out.
P.S.: That pic of the hull looks familiar...

Reds75Makai
05-31-2003, 02:06 AM
Oh and to reply on that comment made about us Californians having their washer dryer in the garage....that's typical because we don't have a barn to put them in or a basement either, of that matter....because we don't get tornados here!!! wink

JetBoatRich
05-31-2003, 05:36 AM
1Bahnerjet:
Thats BANNER with an H Where would he put his light?
Alot of Older homes put them there, new homes have a laundry room usually between the home and garage.

wsuwrhr
06-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Reds75Makai:
Thanks guys for opening my eyes about the oil pan. I'll just tac some baffles in that one...should be all right with those in. Besides I just don't see the point of paying 300 bucks for a marine pan when I can make that one work just like a marine pan... :cool:
The baffles aren't what you should be concerned about. It is the CAPACITY. Oil gets HOT, oil retains heat longer than water does, hense it doesn't cool well.
Not to rain on your parade bud, but I can guarantee the motor problems you will experience with that pan will COST you more than the money you will spend on the right pan.
I don't think a good drag pan for a Chevy is $300 bucks, check out a used one. From what I hear, they GIVE away parts for Chevy's. Everyone here tells me how Chevy's are so cheap to build....
Mopars and Fords are the only motors that are expensive.
Take it for what it is worth, but it is cheap insurance in my book.
Brian
[ June 01, 2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Johnwithjm
06-01-2003, 06:29 PM
wsuwrhr is right on the money with his advise. A pan is alot cheaper than a rebuild on the motor. Check Summit or Jegs if your looking for a deal on a pan.

Sangster
06-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Also Get rid of that Paper Air Filter..if it gets wet it will restrist air flow...Not to mention there illegal....

Reds75Makai
06-02-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Sangster:
Also Get rid of that Paper Air Filter..if it gets wet it will restrist air flow...Not to mention there illegal.... Yah thanks for the info on the air filter...that pic was taken before I put on my spark-arrestor filter... :D

Reds75Makai
06-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by MikeF:
If you do get a jet boat oil pan you "do not" need to fill it to the quart size the pan will hold. I have a 14q pan yet only use 8+filter (9 quarts). Place it on the ground at the angle that it sits in the boat (level hull) and fill (water in quart bottle) until you are happy w/ the level. When the boat is in the water all the oil is toward the back of the pan and now in the crank (aerating the oil). Kinda want to keep that to a minimum. Ok guys here's the problem i'm seeing with this...MikeF is saying if I do get a "marine pan" that I do not need to fill it all the way, JUST 9 quarts...The pan that I have holds 9 quarts...hmmm
Originally posted by:wsuwrhr
The baffles aren't what you should be concerned about. It is the CAPACITY. Oil gets HOT, oil retains heat longer than water does, hense it doesn't cool well. Not to rain on your parade bud, but I can guarantee the motor problems you will experience with that pan will COST you more than the money you will spend on the right pan.
I don't think a good drag pan for a Chevy is $300 bucks, check out a used one. From what I hear, they GIVE away parts for Chevy's. Everyone here tells me how Chevy's are so cheap to build....
Mopars and Fords are the only motors that are expensive.
Now this is where you guys need to do some homework. The difference between a marine pan and a "drag pan" is oil capacity and marine pans have baffles in them and "drag pans" don't. Now if your telling me to purchase a "drag pan"...look close bud...that is a "drag pan" in that pic....
The reason for oil capacity (14 quart marine pan) is for those guys that like to keep their motors spinning at high RPMs for a long periods of time, and I'm sure there are a couple of other reasons. Now I built that motor to spin 6,000 RPM max, and I defineatly do not plan on zoomin from one end of the lake to the other at full throttle until I run out of gas...Now if I learn from my sources that that pan is useless I will take it out and buy a $300 "marine pan" and use it for what it's worth.
I just don't understand how someone new to the jet boat scene can learn anything new from people here because it seems like all you guys contradict one another quit a bit...no one is really on the same page.

Rexone
06-02-2003, 03:25 AM
I'm not going to argue with anyone here on oil pans as I've seen the failures from use of automotive style pans on even mild jet boat engines. I'll just offer a little education based on experience. You can decide whether your engine survival long term is worth $300-$400. Even if you don't buy it here, do yourself a favor and get a "properly designed" marine pan. And I'm not trying to come across cocky either, just seen lots of exploded motors from bad oil distribution to the oil pickup.
Marine Oil Pan Design Features (http://www.rexmar.com/page268.html)
Marine Ski Sport Pans (http://www.rexmar.com/page271.html)
Performance/Race Marine Oil Pans (http://www.rexmar.com/page269.html)
By the way did you figure out where and how bad the hulls broken?
[ June 02, 2003, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

1Bahnerjet
06-02-2003, 07:01 AM
Good Advice Rexone, But where do you keep your Washer & Dryer? wink
-----------------
Thats BANNER with an H

wsuwrhr
06-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Ouch,
As I said, I didn't want to rain on your parade. You have a nice ride, no doubt. You asked for advise and I gave it to you. I didn't PM and tell you that you built a ****ed up motor. Easy...
I just let you know from my OWN experience. Take it for what it is worth. I love listening to the newbies comming on here and asking about their Olds smoking a rod bearing for the second, third, or fourth time. 70's jetboats had car motors put in boats. Half of them are a jet boat that has been in storage and just bought a few weeks before that. I know, I OWNED ONE. Car motors aren't designed for sustained 5000 RPM crusing. Maybe I don't know everything, I'm sure some people here know more than me, some have forgotten more than I even know. I build my own parts, build my own motors, and I have learned from my mistakes. I am still learning.
I can't tell from my computer screen if you are offended from my comments, I didn't mean them to be.
I hope your boat runs ok no matter what pan you have on it. Just trying to help a fellow boater out....
Good luck,
Brian
[ June 02, 2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Reds75Makai
06-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Thanks Brian for the advice...I do appreciate all that anyone has to say. I am not offended at all Brian. I was just getting a little confused because some people say that pan is ok for my application and others are saying "no way" get a marine pan. I'm not affraid to ask questions because I don't want to see something that I put work into go up in smoke, so I want to make sure that I do get what I need to make it right and to make it last. For me, when it comes down to having the right stuff for my boat, or anything at all, prices are not an issue, I will get what I need. And it will be right. So I will order the right pan for my ride...
Sorry if I seemed like an asshole, but I was just looking for real answers and why...not just "you need this", with no reason why...

BLEWBAYOU1
06-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Red, Nice looking ride,Where is the crack in your hull? I was up at Berryessa on sunday,lots of boat wakes that day.I launched at Steele park and took a ride to Pleasure cove and back that was anough for me .Thank god I have full length stringers.
Brian :cool:
http://www.liquidaddiction.net/Blewbayou.htm

dgie
06-04-2003, 09:10 PM
I have noticed that you have your MSD box back by the motor, everyone told me to keep it dry. You might want to check into relocating it to a dryer place. Up under the dash or waterproof it with a makeshift box. Beats the hell out of busting out an ore and oreing the boat in.

Mike G
06-04-2003, 11:09 PM
From what I've seen of the MSD boxes, you have nothing to worry about. I had a 6-A box that was giving me troubles on the car once and I took it apart. The whole circuit board is covered in epoxy. If you're really concerned about it, run a bit of RTV around the cover, but from what I've seen you shouldn't have to.

Aluminum Squirt
06-05-2003, 08:47 AM
I run my SBC at WOT for long periods of time and I'm a big believer in an oil cooler. I can't substantiate it, I don't even have an oil temp gauge but I've got 130+ hours, mostly at WOT and have not had any problems-Aluminum Squirt

Reds75Makai
06-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by: BLEWBAYOU1
Red, Nice looking ride,Where is the crack in your hull? The crack is 3'6" long and about 8" to the left of the starboard side and starts from under dash back... burningm

Reds75Makai
06-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by: dgie
I have noticed that you have your MSD box back by the motor, everyone told me to keep it dry. You might want to check into relocating it to a dryer place. Up under the dash or waterproof it with a makeshift box. Beats the hell out of busting out an ore and oreing the boat in. and also posted by: Mike G
From what I've seen of the MSD boxes, you have nothing to worry about. I had a 6-A box that was giving me troubles on the car once and I took it apart. The whole circuit board is covered in epoxy. If you're really concerned about it, run a bit of RTV around the cover, but from what I've seen you shouldn't have to. Good advice guys...That is a MSD-6 series box back there. I was originally gonna try to mount somewhere dry. But then I decided to read the installation instructions, (for once) :D and it said that the electronics are epoxy coated to keep them dry and clean and the box is to reamain uncovered and unsealed at the seams. Reason being that if they "sweat" that moisture has to be able to drain out...