PDA

View Full Version : cut open bow

SB
06-18-2002, 07:41 AM
I have '77 Biesmeyer, 20.5', closed deck. I'm thinking about cutting open the bow to make it a bowrider. I've looked under the deck, and it appears not have any structural support. Anyone done this? How much is involved cutting it open and in putting seats up there?

79Hawaiian
06-18-2002, 02:04 PM
I looked at a 21ft Hawaiian daycruiser that they guy cut out. He did a hell of a lot of work rebuilding the floor, adding bulkheads, glassing in additional support. He did not make it a walk thru, you had to crawl under the dash to the opening up front. Since it was a daycruiser the dash was fairly high so it wasn't that bad crawling under. It looked a bit strange but was functional.
Good luck.

Old Charger
06-18-2002, 03:00 PM
Here's some more info.. I was lookin into the same thing...
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001874.html

RIDERED
06-18-2002, 04:54 PM
My brother started to cut his bow open on his boat, then he got scared and took it to somebody to have it done. They told him if he would have cut it a few more inches one way it would have destroyed the boat. I don’t now if they were blowing smoke up his ass our not but I don’t think I would try it on my own.

SB
06-19-2002, 06:37 AM
Thanks for that link. I haven't been reading the jet talk and hot spot forums. Everybody please continue adding thoughts.

superdave013
06-19-2002, 07:55 AM
Don't cut the deck off an old classic boat like that! If it was not such a timeless classic I would say get out the skill saw and go for it.
Sell it and buy an open bow.

MKEELINE
06-19-2002, 07:58 AM
SB, I have a '78 hallett that was converted to an open bow, before I bought it. It came out nice, the lines flow real well. The guy I bought it from said it was done by Cole Boats. I could take some pics and send them to you if you want.

spectra75
06-19-2002, 08:06 AM
I'm with superdave 100%. You'd be crazy to cut up that deck. If you want a aqua suburban, go buy one.
spectra75

MKEELINE
06-19-2002, 08:15 AM
SD, How's the Turbo motor coming along? I've finally finished mine, only a year and a half later. That was like being in labor for 1 1/2 years.

HavasuDreamin'
06-19-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by superdave013:
Don't cut the deck off an old classic boat like that! If it was not such a timeless classic I would say get out the skill saw and go for it.
Sell it and buy an open bow.
I couldn't agree more.

superdave013
06-19-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by MKEELINE:
SD, How's the Turbo motor coming along? I've finally finished mine, only a year and a half later. That was like being in labor for 1 1/2 years.
I'm about 1/2 a year behind you right now.

old rigger
06-19-2002, 12:00 PM
I kinda agree with superdave about cutting apart a classic to do an openbow. Saw a guy do it to a wood deck Campbell cruiser once. Almost made me cry.
On the other hand it's not as hard as ridered was told. I think he was gettin' smoke blown up his hole. You have to put in 2 bulk heads on each side (3 if you want to make the space in the walk through useable for storage) or the deck will sway back and forth. If you have an old open bow Bahner, you know what I mean.
Some bracing under the forward part of what's left of the deck, a little reworking of the floor and you're home free.

Old Charger
06-19-2002, 01:53 PM
Like I said, I was looking into doing the same thing to my boat. However, I've got kind of a cookie-cutter Charger.
Don't cut up that Bieser. It's truly a classic. Put it to ya like this. I've got a classic mustang, you've got a GTO or a '55. Both classic but the Biesmeyer is more rare...

Dans66Stevens
06-19-2002, 05:53 PM
I have a friend who wants to sell a mid 70s Anderson Sidewinder Bowrider. This thing is really neat. It is a bowrider with a panel that you can put in to cover the bowrider.
I have never seen another one before. The engine was a 455 Olds. It has a Berkley Pump.
Im trying to get some pictures to post....