Ralph Brunt
03-10-2006, 03:53 PM
serious hp for serious$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

beerjet
03-10-2006, 09:16 PM
That cant be alot of money.:D

DEL51
03-11-2006, 04:20 AM
DNE built an 1100 hp engine with one carb, pump gas deal.

YeLLowBoaT
03-11-2006, 01:30 PM
I would bet the diffrence between making a high compression small displacement( by the almost 800 ci standard :220v: ) motor would by more then enuff race gas over th life of the motor. hell I bet the carbs and intake where 5k alone.....
I was just messing with some #s on jpc.... it would turn a berkley AA impler 6700 rpms.... damn thats alot of water being moved..... if that thing can rev up fast imagine the hole shot....

BrendellaJet
03-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I think this is just a bit more impressive (http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0206_1000/index.html)

Cs19
03-12-2006, 08:43 AM
That would make one hell of a jetboat engine, very cool..
Going bracket racing on pump gas is a huge savings.Racing is expensive as it is, using pump gas helps the costs more than people know.
CS

Unchained
03-12-2006, 04:40 PM
For 30k it seems like DNE would have used an aluminum block.

Cs19
03-12-2006, 05:41 PM
30k is nothing compared to the 55k it takes to get the engine above.
Spending 25k more with sonny's gets you 110 more HP and an aluminum block..i dont know if that justifies the cost there.
did it say what the weight of this 700 + incher was? I didnt see it anywhere.

cyclone
03-12-2006, 08:32 PM
notice the water temperature on the dyno sheet..

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-12-2006, 08:43 PM
notice the water temperature on the dyno sheet..
Wow, I didnt see that. look at the timming(27*)
The torque falls down very quickly and the hp keeps rising. Imagine if you were just cruising with that thing!! 1000ftlbs tq @ 4900r's. I bet you could cruise @ 2200r's and be moving pretty quick......
Here is the dyno sheet http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/viii_3-sonnys-3.html

MESA BALANCING
03-14-2006, 06:15 AM
That's one hell of of piece he's got there here is a picture of our MB1000 bdrna {bracket drag race nat. as.} this is a single 4 bbl 632 ci piece on 112oct with conventional type cnc heads the major difference is octane and price my piece is $27,500 with 112 oct

Dimarco Kid
03-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Christ...H2O temp never topped 137!!! And yeah...only 27 degrees timing, jesus that thing's a brute.

Unchained
03-14-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm not convinced, The fact that it runs on pump gas and makes that many HP is great but with that many cubes I would hope so.
Since I assemble everything myself I just can't get comfortable with the huge pricetag on those motors. If I had that much invested I'd be reluctant to beat on it.
From what I've seen at the drags, when someone makes big hp and it's N/A they have an enormous cam in the order of .950 lift that really stresses the hell out of the valve train. I've seen racers check their valve springs after every run.
It's not like you're going to take something with a real high lift cam like that and run it around on the lake.
There's always a trade offs.

cyclone
03-14-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not convinced, The fact that it runs on pump gas and makes that many HP is great but with that many cubes I would hope so.
Since I assemble everything myself I just can't get comfortable with the huge pricetag on those motors. If I had that much invested I'd be reluctant to beat on it.
From what I've seen at the drags, when someone makes big hp and it's N/A they have an enormous cam in the order of .950 lift that really stresses the hell out of the valve train. I've seen racers check their valve springs after every run.
It's not like you're going to take something with a real high lift cam like that and run it around on the lake.
You'd be surprised what's running around the lake these days that might as well be labled "drag race only".

Cs19
03-14-2006, 10:22 PM
youd also be surprised to see how long some of these guys are going without even thinking about pulling the valve covers on their multi purpose (recreational/race motors).
I go to the river with some guys that have pretty large cams and we get many many seasons on our springs. Im on my 3rd,others are on 5 seasons.
you say you aernt gonna run something like that on the lake..what are you referring to? both engines above are for lake or street use. I know the history of one of them, it gets used just like you use yours, in fact i bet it gets used more.Its now in a 22' deck boat that runs on havasu.
CS

Unchained
03-15-2006, 07:32 AM
you say you aernt gonna run something like that on the lake..what are you referring to? both engines above are for lake or street use.
CS
I'm referring specifically to the cam lift and how long the valve train is going to last. I read back through the specs on the DNE motor and it looks like their useing a .750 lift. It takes quite a spring to make the roller follow that profile without skipping at 6500 rpm.
Valve train problems are always my biggest concern. I've dropped back to a .660 lift cam and lighter springs to hopefully minimise the problems.
No question about it DNE did a real fine job planning out that motor to get the results they did. They got slightly less than 2 hp / ci.
I had an Audi TT for three years and that put out over 2 hp / ci on pump gas.
It's a let down that we all are still using 1950's pushrod technology when the rest of the worlds engine technology has moved far beyond.
DOHC, 4 valve heads and variable valve timing is where its really at.
That gets the valve spring pressures down to less than 100#.
I better stop now, my wife told me to stifle it when I start up on a rant.

DEL51
03-15-2006, 01:51 PM
There is areason that old technology keeps improving. Valve spring material and design as well as computer design. Look at the cam in the new corvette Ls7, That would be considered huge several yrs ago. I think oiling systems have improved too. For an uncomlicated package, that DNE engine is great.