PDA

View Full Version : Starter woes

78Eliminator
05-18-2002, 02:19 PM
I went over my boat last night to get ready for a day trip Sunday. I decided to crank it up to make sure all was well. It turned over twice and then BANG!!! I was sure I really messed something up because I had been doing a bunch of carb adjustments and squirted tons of fuel down the manifold. I was really scared I hydrolocked it. What really happened is the starter blew into pieces.
Here is my question: What is a good aftermarket starter for a chevy 454? Will some cheap pep boys starter be ok? Any advice appreciated.

HBjet
05-18-2002, 06:54 PM
I bought a starter from Auto Zone and return it every year for a new one even it there isn't a problem. Life time warranty. Never had a problem.
HBjet

schiada96
05-18-2002, 08:04 PM
The new style chevy starter is a gear reduction, they work great.

bruleracer
05-18-2002, 10:38 PM
could it be the starter broke because you did hydroloc the engine???? just checkin

Wet Dream
05-19-2002, 06:52 AM
Why would you use "tons of fuel"??? Why didn't you just use starting fluid?

Cas
05-19-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by schiada96:
The new style chevy starter is a gear reduction, they work great.
I'm with Schiada on this one. I also put the small gear reduction starter on and it's great. Try www.arcomarine.com (http://www.arcomarine.com) or give them a call at 850-455-5476, I got mine through one of their dealers for $145. and it's a marine starter. Most of the local parts stores don't have marine parts.

superdave013
05-19-2002, 08:56 AM
For the very best gear reduction starter give Ron Cook at RB Performance a call. His have all ball bearings and no bushings. Plus he's a hot boater/racer and his shop is right in Parker AZ.
520 669-5738 or 520 669-6411
521 West 11th. Street.
If you're in So Calif he sells at the Long Beach swapmeet also. Real nice guy.

Hallett19
05-19-2002, 09:59 AM
Well, to be a savvy boater, you must keep in mind, there is no reason to buy a $150+ gear reduction/hyper super duper sonic starter for a boat that has any less than 11.5:1 compression (maybe even more!). And for under 80 bones you can get a new starter every year for a one time fee....... now let me think, what is cheaper............. I got the auto zone factory replacement starter and that baby kicks some serious ass.

Cas
05-19-2002, 02:45 PM
until you have something happen to you like what my former father in law had happen to him. He put in a starter from Grand Auto, great starter right up until the time it shorted and started a fire. The fire really wasn't all that bad with all things considered. When he put a claim into his insurance company, they declined because it wasn't a marine starter.
Automotive starter- $48.00 (at the time)
Marine starter- $105.00 (at the time)
Cost of fire damage- $740.00
for the extra few bucks, I'd rather have the added safety of the marine starter.

superdave013
05-19-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Hallett19:
Well, to be a savvy boater, you must keep in mind, there is no reason to buy a $150+ gear reduction/hyper super duper sonic starter for a boat that has any less than 11.5:1 compression (maybe even more!). And for under 80 bones you can get a new starter every year for a one time fee....... now let me think, what is cheaper............. I got the auto zone factory replacement starter and that baby kicks some serious ass.
I agree that you don't need it with your engine but....
The gear reduction startes use way less current and turn you engine over much better. So for you that means you can play more tunes and have a better chance that it will start. You know what happens when lil jet boats don't start at Havasu. They sink more often then not.
Also they are not 100% sealed but are much less likely to get damaged by water then the standered ones for a BBC.