PDA

View Full Version : TAHITI JET BOAT

maddog355
05-11-2003, 04:55 PM
I am looking at a 18' Tahiti jet boat with a locked up (I think 460). The interior looks to be in good shape but I havent had a good look at it yet. I am not shure of the year but the berkeley has may 76 stamped in it. I have spoke with the owner he says he has a motor in a car to go in it :rolleyes: and he wanted $3,000 I told him that was a little steep and I was not interestd in the other motor. He is going to think about it (the boat has sat for 3-4 years under a carport and cover and I am the first person to ask about it)and for me to call him back next weekend he may give me a better price. What is the thing worth? the paint has only one bad spot on the deck. any ideas? If I find a good ford motor to run this summer that would be good but plan on chaingit out to BBC over the winter if he gets his heart right.

BrendellaJet
05-11-2003, 05:21 PM
I like telling my story-I think new boat buyers can learn from my mistake.
I bought my 18 foot Brendella about a year ago(almost) I fell in love with the Bassett Headers and the big red scoop. Paint/gel looked good from far. Motor ran okay, but was a little tired~ But when I test drove it I was so in love with it that I gave the guy $4500 for it on the spot. Took it out three times and now its completely gutted and upside down in my garage. Point is, make sure you are happy with what you are getting for the price you are paying. It is a waste to pay money for parts/interior and okay paint if you are going to redo it all after taking it out 3 or 4 times like I am. If you can see yourself completely restoring it in the near future, I think you would be better off buying a boat of lesser quality (a good hull is the only requirement). My $.02.

maddog355
05-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks that is pretty much my feelings on it but I don't see a major redo in the near future just changing it to BBC and adding a diverter.
By the way the boat is on a nice tandom axle trailer (with 4 flat tires) I am figuring about 1,000 like it sits if everything but the motor is good 800 if it needs all new controls. This sound anywear near right? or am I way off on this?

Tahiti Tiger Mark
05-11-2003, 06:23 PM
dude, sounds like way to much for me, I bought the same exact boat, 76 Tahiti Tiger for $1200 here in the Bay Area a couple years ago, with a jacked Olds 455. The boat runs great now, 2200 bucks later. $3000 is insane for that boat without it running, it's a great hull though, seems very light and handles great!

BrendellaJet
05-11-2003, 06:23 PM
If you aren't totally committed to this boat(like I was when I saw mine) then I say offer him a low ball price and judge his reaction. That way you will have room to negotitate. If the paint is good, and the interior is good and solid, then I think you may be grinding him a little too hard. You dont want to insult him, Id think to offer him 1500 if interior and trailer are nice. Make sure you really go over that hull though. I got lucky with mine- its beautiful and I really didn't give it a once over. Pull up any carpet and look at the stringers and see if there are any cracks where they meet the bottom. Check the whole boat for stress cracks. Just remember, it can be addicting. I though I would be happy with mine too. Boy was I wrong. I will have spent more than three times what I originally paid for it by the time I am happy with it- but I want a boat that looks new and kicks ass. If you are happy with the way it looks, then this may be a good deal.

79Hawaiian
05-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Check the bottom for hook.

Cas
05-12-2003, 08:44 AM
which Tahiti is it?
if it has the gas tank in the bow, it's a Tiger and is actually 17'10"
if it has gas tanks on each side in the rear, it's probably a Super Tiger unless someone removed the bow tank and added the rear tanks.
Tahiti also had an 18' Bubble Tiger (I think that's what it was called) with rear tanks.
Is it paint or is it the original gel? If it's paint, I'd wonder why it was painted, could be hiding problems.
As someone said previously, check the bottom for hook. Tahiti's seem to have come with about 1/4" hook built it, at least all the ones (4) I've had all had about the same.
Check the area around the exhaust tips, it's a place where if not sealed could cause rot in the transom.
More than likely it has a 3 point engine mount. Try to see if the front mount bolts that go through the stringers are relatively level. If the engine side of the bolts appear lower, more than likely the holes in the stringer are worn pretty good and are oval shaped. That will cause the engine to sit lower than it should. It could also mean there's rot present in the stringers.
In the bulkhead in the front of the bilge there should be a couple of drain holes. If they have plugs in them, remove one or both. If a bunch of water comes rushing out, that could mean there's rot on the bottom side of the floor that won't be visible.
Check the bottom for gouges and the keel for worn gel or paint. That will give you an indication if the owner beached it.
If nothing else, these things could give you real good ammo to get a better price. It'll also make you appear that you know what you're looking at wink
not that you don't.
Oh yeah, make sure the forward/reverse, steering and throttle cable are easily operated. A lot of times the F/R and steering cable will get real hard to operate with the lack of use and will probably need replacing.
If you can, crawl under the boat and look up into the intake and check the impeller as best you can. Make sure there aren't any big gouges in it and/or chipped blades.
Lots of stuff to check but at least you'll know what you're getting into from the get go.

Cas
05-12-2003, 09:10 AM
another couple of thoughts.
If the boat is sitting with the bow down, lift or jack it up so it's bow up. Doing so will let any water that may be under the floor to exit.
As far as price goes, what's it worth to you? Are you going to be happy paying $500. if you need to put $5000 into it?
I looked at a 73 Wriedt not too long ago for $150.00. Been sitting outside for a few years, engine apart, no interior, decent trailer and a Berk JC. Hull was painted over the gel and peeling off but was pretty solid.....bottom line, wasn't worth it to me. Tried to get my brother to buy it though :D

maddog355
05-13-2003, 01:35 AM
Thanks for all the info
CAS it only had one tank on the side if I recall correctly and it had bassett headers (no thru hull) The boat was painted about 4 years ago and then never put in the water. The only way I know it was a 18 tahiti was the info plate. Again I am not shure of the year but the pump had may 76 on it. and how do I check it for hook?

Jake W
05-13-2003, 06:40 PM
Cas I think Tahiti made a ton of 18 footers or 18 ft something.They made a wide hull with a deep nose and a wide hull witha shallow nose.Then there is ones like mine with is a 77 bubble deck that is not a wide hull at all but really similer to a Rogers bottom with a squared out back and the dash is like a Eliminator bubble deck.There are alot of diffrent hulls.But like Cas said if you like it and want to spend the dough on it get it if not move on to the next.I bought mine for 800 bucks and i do not want to tell you how much i spent on it to get it to lok like it does today.Jake http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/82tahitisd.jpg
[ May 14, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Jake W ]

Cas
05-13-2003, 10:12 PM
MD,
To check for hook you will need about a 4ft straight edge, a 4 ft level would work. You then put it on the bottom of the boat from the transom forward, real easy.
The tough part about a new paint job is you might not be able to tell if it has any stress cracks. The bad part is if it does and they weren't fixed properly they will show up with use.
More than likely, the boat did not come new with the headers although it's possible. If you look real close, you might be able to see where the the transom exhaust holes were filled in. If you can't then someone did a really good job or it came with OT's of some sort.
One tank in the rear is kind of strange, most have 2 to balance out the weight some. If you can get up into the bow, check for a patch where the old filler tube may have been. It's also possible it still has a bow tank but it's not being used.
As you can see there's a lot of variables to look for. As I said earlier and Jake confirmed, if you really like the boat, the price may not be as big a concern (within reason). The other thing I'd think about is how long will it take to realistically get it in the water....summer is just about here.
Jake,
You're right, Tahiti did make quite a few models over the years. I mentioned the ones I did because they were the most popular in the mid 70's and there seems to be more of those around for sale.
Even though you've got a bunch of $$$$$ into your boat, it sure looks good!

Lee Garcia
05-13-2003, 10:26 PM
I have a 21'6" 1976 Fresno Daycruiser for sale if any one is interested, its been gutted for a restoration project. Many parts included;
alum 25 gal. tanks
91 v/m tailer
bbc engine mounts
$1200.00
For an extra $600.00 I'll throw in a 4 blt 454 .060 bare block ready for assembly comes rebuilt oval port heads ready to bolt on.
Please call Lee @559-352-1309

BONE COLLECTOR
05-13-2003, 10:56 PM
i was looking at a tahiti a couple of weeks ago they were asking $1950 twin tanks in rear 460 with headers jell coat could be cleaned up no stress cracks has tandom axal trialer inteirior one year old needed throtal cable and he wants to keep his carb this was in los banos ca. not shure of a year of boat i hope this helps with the price ranging

Jake W
05-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks Cas. So what did you decide Maddog355?I put a pic of mine in the first post I made.Jake

maddog355
05-15-2003, 01:32 AM
Again thinks for the info!
I have to call the owner back this weekend and see what he has decided I think I like the boat and jake it looks about like yours. (just not near as good!!!!!!) I know summer is almost here and fact is if the deal goes through it probly won't get a engine done in time to make water before summer is over, so I found a CHEAP hull to bolt a outboard on for the summer :D . not shure of the details of this hull yet eather but from what I hear it well be about $200 and the seats are suposed to be in good shape!
PS as for the dual tanks, it may have them I have not looked that close. but hope to have more info on the boat sunday.
agian THANK YOU for all the info and nice boat jake!