PDA

View Full Version : fule tank vent

dgie
06-25-2003, 05:17 PM
what do most people have btween the vent from their gas tank and the vent going out of the vent for overboard. I had some funky looking valve between the two on both tanks I took them out because I was thinking they were not venting correctly (I have side tanks). Seeing how the boat is low profile, I am affraid that water might be getting in the tank. Also I am getting gas flowing out of them when full and on the ramp. What is everyone doing for this???

dgie
06-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Typo, thats fuel. Damn fingers :rolleyes:

Bryan Rose
06-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Don't know seems no matter how hard I look for them I cant seem to find a vent... My fuel pick-up is out of the top of the tank and only other hole is the fill hose with cap on top... what gives here? :confused:

King Kuracz
06-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Attwood makes a surge protector that installs in the vent line and will stop the fuel overflow.
Attwood # is 1675-6, and you can get it from West Marine, or just about any marine dealer can order you one from thier supply house.'
About 20 bucks.
And Bryan, your vent is probably in your cap.
[ June 25, 2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: King Kuracz ]

jdog
06-25-2003, 08:53 PM
I filled up my tanks to the brim because I was going to the river the same day. My boat sat in the sun in the driveway. The left side tank expanded and fuel was oozing (alot) out of the left tank cap which was on tight. Can't find a vent anywhere. That was two weeks ago, today, I took my boat down to blythe and parked it at our river place so it would be ready for July 4th. I filled up both tanks but only till it clicked. They are about 6 inches from the top. The next week and a half will be very hot. I hope it doesn't expand too much. I cracked the caps a little hoping some air will fix this. Does this seem like the right thing to do? I hope my boat doesn't blow up or leave gas all over it in the hot sun.
Let me know what you think. Thanks Jay

DUCKY
06-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Bryan Rose:
Don't know seems no matter how hard I look for them I cant seem to find a vent... My fuel pick-up is out of the top of the tank and only other hole is the fill hose with cap on top... what gives here? :confused: Your caps are vented... If yours is a very low profile boat, this could prove to be a problem, as the caps may allow water to be drawn in. I have been lucky so far....

Frosty_pop
06-25-2003, 09:05 PM
Bryan Rose:
Don't know seems no matter how hard I look for them I cant seem to find a vent... My fuel pick-up is out of the top of the tank and only other hole is the fill hose with cap on top... what gives here? :confused: My setup is the same.... just a pickup and a fill, no vent. Tanks are plumbed together with a tee, and go through a separator and filter to the carb, nothing fancy.....

dgie
06-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the info King, I will check to see if they are the same as the ones I took off. If they are many thanks.

dgie
06-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Here is an added question since we are on the subject of gas tanks. My pick up tubes go into an elbow and then they are plumbed into a fuel line where they make the journey to the fuel/water seperator. Kind of curious if everyone is pulling fuel from the top of side tanks through an elbow. Looking for any possible restrictions along the way.

superdave013
06-25-2003, 09:14 PM
My vents are in the caps. Each cap had one small hole. I drilled 7 more so now they flow pretty good.
http://www.v-driveboat.com/images/gallery/photos/55_gas-cap-bezels.jpg