PDA

View Full Version : Whats my HP?

beached 1
08-18-2003, 06:42 AM
I forget where I saw a HP chart from (Berkely?). Can someone post it?
Anyway, I have a stainless A/B detailed by MPD with a flowed blowl (also mpd) and it is fresh with only about 5/6 hrs on it.. Other than that, it's just a stock Berk JC with an older (small nozzle) Place diverter. I got it to turn 5400 yesterday with my new motor. The work by MPD should be a little deceiving. So, if I was running an all stock berk with a stock A/B impeller I would be closer to 6K RPMs?
Whaddya guys think?

Hal
08-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Try this (http://www.berkeleyjet.com/Manuals/dyno.htm)

beached 1
08-18-2003, 06:58 AM
Thanks Hal!

flat broke
08-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Shizzle!!!
5400 in that boat should be right around 70 Beached! That ain't nuthin to sneeze at. Congrats on getting the motor back together and by the sounds of it, runnig pretty good. If it's of help to you when I was turning around 5200 on a MPD A, the guestimate on HP from the magician on Monrovia was about 550hp.
Could you do me a favor and shoot me your cam specs when you get a chance? BTW, I think HotHallet might be interested in your engine build as those Rs (if you were loading well) would move his boat fairly good. He's looking to do something over the winter and it sounds like you might have a good alternative for him to look at.
Congrats again on the RPM, and I'm glad to hear you have her runnin well.
Chris

BK
08-18-2003, 09:27 AM
Those #'s on the Berkely chart seem sorta low? When I was building the engine im currently running I had Jack redoe my pump. I told him I was looking at around 500-550 hp and didnt want to turn it more than 5200-5300rpm. He recomended an A impeller and it turned just over 5200 till I put the tunnel ram on before this season. According to that chart im at around 450 hp. :confused:

beached 1
08-18-2003, 11:57 AM
flat broke:
Shizzle!!!
from the magician on Monrovia was about 550hp.
LOL! That is a great way to discribe him. :D
Thanks. I got a couple e-mails regarding my setup. I'm typing this during my lunch break so if I forget anything I'll add it in later. Here goes, off the top of my head:
460 BBF .30 over (=466?)
Flat top JE pistons w double moly rings 11.5 to 1
Stock stroke
Cryo treated forged eagle I beams w/7/16 ARPs
Ported (exhaust side only) D0VE heads
Cam, springs, lifters, push rods, guide plates and SS (1.73)roller rockers. All from Crower.
Cam part# 22244
Int Duration 311 lift .588
Ex Duration 316 lift .604
Motor balanced by Dougans
Milodon 10qt w/ windage tray
Milodon oil pump w/ rear pickup
Wieand Stealth w/ phenolic 4 hole spacer
Demon 750 dp mec
K&N air filter
MSD billett dist, coil, wires and 6al unit.
Lightning headers
I'll have to ask my engine builder what the timing is set at and all.
Chris, if Hothallett has any ?'s just tell him to PM me or e-mail and I'll give him the number to my neighbor (the engine builder). He's a great engine builder BTW.
For those of you who don't know. This is in a 73 Spectra20.
http://www.beached1.homestead.com/files/Spectra2.jpg
http://www.beached1.homestead.com/files/Spectra1.jpg

BrendellaJet
08-18-2003, 07:03 PM
That is an AWESOME boat! Nice work.

77charger
08-18-2003, 07:51 PM
gerrit those specs i would say you are at or over 500hp i would think you might need to get your motor to rev to around 5700 rpm to hit peak hp.If any help my old jet with the mpd work would hit 5300 on the bottle.Is that a solid lifter cam or roller? i have found that my old cam specs worked betyter than my last motor did old was around 224@.50 and about 540 lift the last motor was 248@.50 with a .590 lift.Was also a smaller motor too a 429.

beached 1
08-19-2003, 05:28 AM
Robert,
It's a hyd flat tappet. Thanks again for the D0VE heads!
I'm hoping to squeeze a little more out of it when my Offy Port O Sonic gets here.
[ August 19, 2003, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: beached 1 ]

77charger
08-19-2003, 03:45 PM
beached 1:
Robert,
It's a hyd flat tappet. Thanks again for the D0VE heads!
I'm hoping to squeeze a little more out of it when my Offy Port O Sonic gets here. No prob thanks for the case of beer :) it lasted me a couple of weeks.GOT NITROUS?
[ August 19, 2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: 77charger ]

pops1
08-19-2003, 08:22 PM
BK:
Those #'s on the Berkely chart seem sorta low? When I was building the engine im currently running I had Jack redoe my pump. I told him I was looking at around 500-550 hp and didnt want to turn it more than 5200-5300rpm. He recomended an A impeller and it turned just over 5200 till I put the tunnel ram on before this season. According to that chart im at around 450 hp. :confused: You need to understand those charts were made up by Berkeley 30+years ago. Torque was @ some 70-to 75 % of today. you are looking at apples and walnuts -vs- today 1 to 1 torque motors. A JET RUNS ON TORQUE- BIGGER IS BETTER in the IMPELLER.
make it flow & thrust higher. Get a Bowl with a higher output and water control, increase your choke size from the old school. You see both old and new builders that have changed are now dominating the classes across the USA. I see old school guys with 2x's the power & 3x's the money invested just hang on. The boat is set up to the max and if the wind comes up the boat cannot run or is going to hurt someone.
Jets today are spanking props because they pull hard the entire course under thrust power not some cut back secret radius cut that allows slippage untill the bowl pressure comes up to some max number of whatever. Its all about E.T. not MPH. If you are after MPH go get a PROP you will never beat a tail walk boat and you will never load a tail walk JET. Dave

pops1
08-19-2003, 08:51 PM
77charger:
if that picture is you, with that wrench talk- you must drop some people back
on there heads. Now if that is not you- and you are not a girl -well why not its all the new shows on T.V. anyway. jawdrop but whoever it is devil is HOT! Dave

pops1
08-19-2003, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE]BEACHED 1
Both are Nice Rides- POP's
I had to edit this because when I deleted the verbage of beached 1 & photo's. I cut out the Beached 1 name and only had both are nice ride's
I did not mean to offend so I tried to clear up by adding the Beached 1- which was my intent.Sorry.
[ August 19, 2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: pops1 ]

beached 1
08-20-2003, 04:57 AM
77charger:
GOT NITROUS? NEED SOME MORE BEER? wink
I am seriously considering it. Nothing major. Like a 100 shot or smotheing. :p

beached 1
08-20-2003, 05:02 AM
pops1:
I did not mean to offend so I tried to clear up by adding the Beached 1- which was my intent.Sorry. None taken here. 77Charger's pretty fond of Shania Twain. Can't say I blame him. I'd do her a favor. wink

pops1
08-20-2003, 09:26 AM
beached 1:
None taken here. 77Charger's pretty fond of Shania Twain. Can't say I blame him. I'd do her a favor. wink [/QB][/QUOTE]
That's who it is- you know old farts and glasses! Thanks Pop