PDA

View Full Version : Rubber water hoses

rivercrazy
05-13-2002, 08:12 AM
Just a friendly reminder to check you hoses from time to time. Over the weekend my inlet water hose blew between the pump and my gate valve. Needless to say, I had accumulated mucho water in the engine bay before I noticed it. About 50-75 gallons worth! Thankfully I had a few guys in the boat to help me fix the problem before the boat sank. Check you bilge pumps too. I never need to use mine. Thankfully it worked fine.
Question for braided line guys - Can you use braided line with regular hose clamps or do you have to use those special fittings?

Hustler
05-13-2002, 08:31 AM
Holy Shit 50-75 gallons thats alot of water I'm glad you did'nt end up like the guy at piramid on saturday he only had about 2 feet of his bow still above water, I dont think you would want to use braided line with a hose clamp I dont think it will clamp hard enough to be secure.
Hustler

flat broke
05-13-2002, 08:35 AM
Joe,
Please tell me that guy on Sunday wasn't in a blue 18' Eliminator bubbledeck.... I had a buddy take his boat out for the first time on his own this weekend and would hate to hear something like that happened.
Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

HBjet
05-13-2002, 08:47 AM
No, it was a orange and white flat bottom.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/noplug1.JPG
This was about 2-3 hours later from when we first saw it laying on the ramp under water with just the front sticking out.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/noplug2.JPG
HBjet

rivercrazy
05-13-2002, 10:08 AM
It was a lot of water. It was up about 1/3 past the bell housing on the motor. My oil looks fine. No issues there. However, water was definately inside the bell housing. I sprayed a crap load of WD 40 inside there and ran the boat hard that afternoon and the next day. Do you guys think I need to worry about rust on the flywheel or starter? The start is a top mount dealio. I also gave the jet a grease job - i.e. tail and front bearings via the zerks.

HBjet
05-13-2002, 10:12 AM
You can use a hose clamp on braided line. They even sell the clamps with the hose end fitting to look like the real stuff.
Glad to hear the boat is ok. How did you notice the water? Was it the water temp of the motor rising? Anyways......At least it didn't sink.
HBjet

rivercrazy
05-13-2002, 10:22 AM
I notice a slight amount of misfiring, almost like I was running out of gas (the split in the line was blowing water all over the engine bay). I looked over at the temp gauge and it increased from 130 to 180 in like 5 seconds. Shut her down, pop'ed open the lid and tracked down the source of the water. Held my finger over the hole in the line while my pops took us to shore. I ended up using some PCV hose as a temporary fix and capped the PCV on one side of the valve cover. I will not be taking the boat out without some backup water hose from now on! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Moomawnster
05-13-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Moomawnster:
Well the rain cleared up and I took the MOOMAWNSTER to the lake for another shakedown cruise , caught a couple fish and loafed around then headed back for the evening when I heard a soft pop from behind but thought nothing of it till the water was all the way to the front of the boat and rising ! turned on the bilge and it popped off the outlet ! now it was time to find a place to sink it so I just punched the throttle and went for the shore , found a nice grass beach and planted that sucker hard .......but she did not go under ! The motor was smokin hot from running without coolant so I put the valve back on and ran the bilge through the motor ..... this cooled it and got the water out of the boat so I could move it ......back to the dock and chalk up another one that didn't get me. Heh Heh ... Yes it can always get worse !
Yes I put the hose on as far as it would go and three clamps ! I am also putting two giant inner tubes in the bow, that incedent opened my eyes so far they hurt. Also watch for birds standing on top of the water , We pulled another 40 ft log out last week floating two inches under !

hoolign
05-13-2002, 11:47 AM
The day I bought my boat the seller took me out,just pinned it for the middle of the lake,I looked at the engine hatch and water shootin out the sides,pointed at it and he shut the boat down we fixed the hoses, the bilge pump was on for so long the battery went dead(weak) my phone was on shore with the little woman,his phone was with his,so we paddeled for shore about a mile before someone saw us(horns were dead)this was a cv 23, not so light! now I carry an extra 5 feet in the boat(and new batteries every year)and the boat has its own cell!
good times!

Boater Bill
05-13-2002, 12:23 PM
rivercrazy and all other jetters - If you are running heater hose from the jet to your engine, replace it every year! You will/would be surprised how weak that hose gets after a season of boating. Check all clamps at the start of the season and at least one more time during.
I would not try to use clamps on "real" s/s braided line. Those ones that look like AN fittings are used on "regular" hose that has some fake s/s sheathing over it. Real braided line has an outer braid bonded on and an inner braid molded into the hose. Anything that carries pressure I don't believe you can get enough clamping force to be comfortable. I do use worm clamps however to fasten my PCV hose to the carb/pcv breather with no problems.

HBjet
05-13-2002, 12:50 PM
Bill, I have one True braided hose that I use an AN hose clamp on. I agree with what your saying, but if the hose has to be pushed on with some force, then you pretty much have a good seal, the clamp just keeps it there. It's not like I'm trying to reduce the size of the hose. HBjet
[This message has been edited by HBjet (edited May 13, 2002).]

triple x tx
05-13-2002, 09:55 PM
an fittings arent that exspensive for piece of mind........i did every hose on my tx for about 400 bucks.......looks cool too