PDA

View Full Version : How can I get more power and rpm's from my....

Metal_King
07-31-2002, 09:13 PM
2000 Roger's 21' Open Bow at a respectable cost factor?
Here is my story. When I was 20, I bought a 1985 Bahner 18' with a 454 LS6 (Stock) and a Berkeley 12 JG-A Jet. This boat would max out right around 5,000 rpm. Over the course of 10 years on Lake Havasu, this hull took such a beating that it split the hull right down the driver side stringer a good 8-10 feet. My dad and I talked about it and it was time to buy a new boat.
I wanted a bigger boat also. Starting a new family with a 4 seater just was not going to cut it, and I wanted a NEW boat. I did NOT want to go through the boat trader looking for a used 21 footer. So, I started calling boat dealers around and $40K + was just too expensive...still is.
So, I resorted to plan B...which is to take the engine and jet out of the Bahner and put it into a new hull. I called everyone from Ultra to Warlock to Eliminator and no way. Well, nobody does this anymore... except for Roger Weiman...owner of Roger's Custom Boats based in Bellflower, CA who is now retired (By the way, I am trying to locate him...look at the main board). I called Roger and he gladly accepted the challenge. He builds 3 hulls...a 18', 20', and 21' open bow. I asked him to build a 21' for me. FYI, the hull, new upholstery, twin 35 gal. tanks, and a brand new Competitive trailer, etc. was 19K out the door.
My new boat runs fine but is maxing out at about 4600 RPM. I've heard everything from get a new cam, to getting MSD ignition (I have Mallory currently), to rebuilding the jet, to changing the carburetor (I have a 750 Holley). Does anyone have any suggestions to get another 5-10 MPH? At 4600, it feels like I am doing about 50 MPH. I would like a little more.
Another question is, what is the maximum output of a jet? Can a Berkeley do 5300 RPM? 5500? 6000? Just what is the limit for a Berk?
Any ideas would be appreciated.'
Thanks
Jason

GasTurbine
07-31-2002, 11:14 PM
Roger's Boats are now ran by his son, and he's making a few different models. We have a '99 Bonneville, which is a closed bow. Our first Roger's was a '69, and we have had about 3 others in between that time.
Nice hulls, with great craftsmanship. And they look good too.
I'm not sure I understand your post about contacting them...if you havn't, drop me a line and I'll put you in contact with 'em.
As for your motor, you can hardley beat the Holley 750 dbl-pumper for a big block with good exhaust. And your right about upgrades...opinions are like belly-buttons... :)
I will say that if your cam is stock (automotive), you should consider that formost.
Good luck.

Metal_King
08-01-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by GasTurbine:
Roger's Boats are now ran by his son, and he's making a few different models. I think you are confusing Roger with someone else. Roger has a daughter only. During the whole time he was building my boat, he NEVER mentioned a son. He mentioned his daughter many times.
I think if he did have a son, I would have met him at least once during the course of my boat construction.
Word of mouth is that he sold his shop (Not to a boat guy) and bolted for Lake Havasu City. I called 411, he is not registered.
Turbine, I am trying to get a hold of him to do some work on the engine. And to get a bimini top for it.
Thanks Again

Cas
08-01-2002, 08:35 AM
Metal,
I too have a 21' boat that's lacking higher rpm's, it tachs out at about 4500. The bigger boats are also heavier boats and usually a little more bow heavy which in turn keeps more of the boat in the water. In order to get more rpms, you need some horsepower to get the boat out of the water for a less wetted surface. With that, you will need the pump set up properly to the HP of the engine which could mean a different impeller, adding a ride plate, a droop or a Place diverter. Maybe even all of the above.
Basically what it boils down to is exactly how much do you want to spend to get a few miles per hour?
As Turbine mentioned, putting the right cam in will help. I just rebuilt my motor this past winter and went with a cam that gives the motor a bunch of torque up to about 4800 rpm's. So far, I've been very pleased with the results even though I only picked up a few mph's at the top end.
The other area that is very important is the exhaust. Headers are a real good way to pick up some HP.
As far as the pump goes, you want the pump set up with an impeller that will allow your engine to run at it's peak HP. If your peak HP is attained at 4000, you want an impeller that will let the engine go above that so you can use it. If your peak is at 4800 and you have an impeller that only lets the motor turn at 4400, you're losing some of the power range.
On the flip side of that, it's also posible to get an impeller that will give you more rpm's but can lower the top speed.
There's quite a bit to the equation, as you can see. You might want to give Jack at MPD or Greg Shoemaker at GS Marine a call to give you a better idea of what you can do to get what you want. Both of them are down your way.