PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with Berkeley questions

Johnfrmcal
10-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Hi All,
I'm a Newbie to the board, just bought my second jet boat (last one was 15 years ago) and I want to have the pump rebuilt and blueprinted, but would like some advice/input. Anyways, here's the particulars:
21' Kachina Lazer, 1984, open bow mini-daycruiser style, semi-v, fairly low profile, Chevy 350 (Hardin Marine), Berkeley JG pump.
What/who would you recommend for pump rebuilding and blueprinting? I'm going to rebuild the engine over the winter, given the Weiand intake, 750 carb, and the cam/compression combo I'm going to use, I'm going to guess 300-325 horsepower. I do not want a raceboat, I want a reliable, durable, EFFICIENT pump for what will basically be a family fun/ski boat. I'm in San Jose, CA. If anyone knows of any good builders in my area, and any recommendations on impeller type and work I should have done, I'm listening. If anyone has a ballpark on what a rebuild/blueprint should cost, I'd like to know that as well. Lastly, if anyone has experience with or input on the impeller loader (Marine Jet Drive Cavitation Reducer) from Don's Pump Service (www.donspumpservice.com) I'm really interested in hearing about it.
Thanks all! Sorry for the long post, thanks for your input and patience.....

diggler
10-14-2002, 02:27 PM
Call Legend Jet Drive in Richmond and ask for the owner, Dave. He'll be able to tell you who is awesome in San Jose to do this. He had told me before, but I forgot who it was.

Heatseeker
10-14-2002, 03:45 PM
Call Walt at Walt's Hot Boat Service. He's in Modesto, Ca. He does good work.
209-521-9258
A good rebuild including a new impeller and some bowl flow work runs around $900, if I remember right.

wideopen545
10-15-2002, 06:03 PM
hey give duane at high tech proformance a call
316-794-8616 he will help you out

Mopar426
10-15-2002, 09:07 PM
I second that!! Call Walt he does great work and knows his pumps. If your in a hurry he might do an exchange like he did for me. His e-mail is waltshbs@netfeed.com. Tell em Steve from Phoenix refered you.

burning cole
10-16-2002, 08:50 AM
Do not know anyone in your area, but Jim Lange at hi-tech marine is Simi Valley (805) 583-2656 did mine and let me tell you, this guy is GOOD. It is not cheap but, he will give you what you want. if you take the pump off, you can ship it anywhere.

SB
10-16-2002, 09:24 AM
At your hp (low), you do not need a blueprint or a cav. reducer. An ordinary (low cost)rebuild will be fine.

GlastronGuy
10-19-2002, 03:48 PM
SB:
At your hp (low), you do not need a blueprint or a cav. reducer. An ordinary (low cost)rebuild will be fine.I'd agree with that and also suggest Walt.